Opinion The 2018 Oscars (Spoilers)...

K12gamer

I really disagree with BEST picture...

I saw The Shape of WATER...and it was one of the worst most implausible films I've ever seen.
I haven't seen any of the other movies that were nominated for best picture...but I'm sure one of
them has to be better.

Maybe they should allow the public to call in and vote who wins each Oscar?

Last edited:
K

Kobold

...sorry guys... I only ever watch YouTube... is Hollywood still a thing?

JackTurbo

Not seen Shape of Water so can't really comment on that.

I am a little disappointed that 3 Billboards didnt win more than it did, that was a fantastic movie. Happy that Frances McDormand and Sam Rockwell got best lead actress/best supporting actor though.

Blade Runner deserved visual effects and cinematography too, so was glad to see it get those.

S

Smarty

I have not yet seen the Shape of Water, but I did see del Toro's Pan's Labyrinth, which is enough of a motivation to go see his latest. Although I hope this one doesn't have monsters that stick with you for so many years.

I really disagree with BEST picture...

I saw The Shape of WATER...and it was one of the worst most implausible films I've ever seen.
I haven't seen any of the other movies that were nominated for best picture...but I'm sure one of
them has to be better.
Sometimes when I watch a movie and I have absolutely no clue what the whole thing was trying to say, I go and read up on it afterwards. I had that with Spirited Away, for example. On the surface was a story that wasn't that difficult to follow, but Japan having cultural references that are so unrecognizable and far away from my own, it helps to have a little context. The context explained the story and gave it a bit of an a-ha moment after the fact, but the devil is also in the details. Some scenes seem awkward or pointless either because you don't know a lot about Japanese life, customs and history, or because the story telling uses a framework somewhat different from our own.

Bottom line: if it was implausible to you, read in-depth reviews and discussions to see what you missed.

Maybe they should allow the public to call in and vote who wins each Oscar?
The whole point about the Oscars was that they are awarded by film makers, to film makers. Although I'm unfamiliar just how the whole voting system works and couldn't comment on whether it is in any way a balanced vote, I can appreciate that receiving recognition from your peers - the very people who know what effort goes into making movies - may mean as much and maybe even more than getting it from the audience. And anyway there are sufficient platforms for audience favorites.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Misu

Isn't best picture how best the presentation is, aside from acting and story?

K12gamer

Not seen Shape of Water so can't really comment on that.

I am a little disappointed that 3 Billboards didnt win more than it did, that was a fantastic movie. Happy that Frances McDormand and Sam Rockwell got best lead actress/best supporting actor though.

Blade Runner deserved visual effects and cinematography too, so was glad to see it get those.
Summary of Shape of Water: Opens with cringe worthy scene of a lady masturbating in a tub...repeats this same scene later in the movie...

What an insult...that any woman would actually be attracted to a creature less human than a gorilla.

The old movie SPLASH had a similar concept...but was far better than this movie. (SPLASH got no Oscars)

G

Guest User

What an insult...that any woman would actually be attracted to a creature less human than a gorilla.
ehhh but the teratophile community is--and pretty much always has been--majority female ? :confused:

does not make sense to say this. idk about the rest, aside from the obvious about the Oscar's purpose that has already been addressed. does not make sense to open it up to public opinion a/o vote.

in determining which movies are best by public opinion, wouldn't there be websites dedicated to rating & review if there was such interest in doing so? i thought that was how Rotten Tomatoes works, but idk.

Ninety

Shape of Water was a 7/10 for me but not Best Picture material. It had great production/set design and thoroughly deserved the Oscar there, but the romance was underdeveloped and the characters flat. I am happy for del Toro though, the guy really deserves to have more stuff get made. I haven't seen all the other nominees but if it wasn't Shape of Water it probably would've been Three Billboards.

Nice to see Jordan Peele get a well-deserved nod for Best Director. And seeing Roger Deakins finally win his first Oscar for cinematography was great, his work on Blade Runner was stunning.

Can't say I thought much of all the patronising speeches, but hey, it was a pretty important year.

A

Ampersand

All the award shows are buy-ins and gift-a-paloozas for the film's "consideration". It's a mostly unregulated industry driven entirely by money. Think blackmail and bribes, but in a really backwards way that keeps everyone involved from being in any legal trouble ever. I live in north metro LA and know a lot of people in the industry -- Hollywood is one big game. But hopefully everyone here realizes that already.
Nice to see Jordan Peele get a well-deserved nod for Best Director
Agreed -- Get Out caught me off guard and blew me right out of the water.
Sometimes when I watch a movie and I have absolutely no clue what the whole thing was trying to say, I go and read up on it afterwards.
And I agree with this. Akira was similar for me, very hard to comprehend outside of the obvious "tech in the hands of totalitarian government is bad" and "youth and change is good" until I read a lot of views and interpretations on the film. Now the film only seems more complex, but I certainly continue to get more out of the film with each re-watching, and my interpretation of it continues to develop. A lot of great movies are hard to digest first try.

That being said, I have not seen Shape of Water, but have mostly heard good things about it.

Last edited by a moderator: