Alpha (WIP ASSET) 2D to 3D Converter for GMS2

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
2D to 3D Converter
Thought I'd make a thread for the progress & stuff :D

This will be an asset that will convert 2D games into 3D. I've just start working on it so it's pretty basic. Any suggestions are welcome!

No demo is available yet.

>> Documentation <<

Roadmap
Here's the stuff that I want to add, basically my to-do list
  • Skybox tiling
  • 3D grass
  • Grass using sprites
I will keep updating this list as I get more ideas.

Last edited:

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
Added billboard support (look at the trees) and cube objects (for making walls & stuff)

Please do give your suggestions!

D

DumbChester

Wow!, Looks great! , Is this gonna be free? or will this have a free demo?

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
It is pretty noticeable that the sky is a cube. Maybe try a sphere?
I think it's mostly noticeable because the texture is not tiled and the cube is too close.

The skybox is not final, so I'll see what I can do. :)
Wow!, Looks great! , Is this gonna be free? or will this have a free demo?
If I release it, it probably won't be free. What kind of demo are you talking about? I could probably do a playable .exe demo.

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
Got the collisions working. They basically check for rectangle overlaps, first on the XY plane, then on the Z plane. I'm calling the function place_meeting_3d().

Documentation entry

Last edited:

GMWolf

aka fel666
It is pretty noticeable that the sky is a cube. Maybe try a sphere?
I think it's mostly noticeable because the texture is not tiled and the cube is too close.

The skybox is not final, so I'll see what I can do. :)
I think its to do with perspective.
You cannot slap any texture and expect a skybox to work. It needs to have been projected correctly.

Great work! I dont see how useful it could be, as designing in 2D for 3d seems a little restrictive. That being said the effect looks great already!

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
Great work! That being said the effect looks great already!
Thanks!
I dont see how useful it could be, as designing in 2D for 3d seems a little restrictive.
Yes, but I guess it could be useful for specific purposes: where the user wants to convert their game to 3D, or just want to make a Paper Mario-esque game without having to delve into 3D code.
You cannot slap any texture and expect a skybox to work. It needs to have been projected correctly.
What do you mean it needs to be projected correctly? Got any links so that I can learn more about this? :)

GMWolf

aka fel666
What do you mean it needs to be projected correctly? Got any links so that I can learn more about this? :)
Think of it this way:
The corners of the skybox are further away than the center of each face. This means that when you look at the center of the faces, the plane is facing you (good), but when you look into the corners, the plane is now at an angle. You texture needs to reflect this.

notice how the images are not flat, they look stretched near the edges and corners.

Really what you need is a perspective projection for each face. A flat orthographic projection will not look correct.

K

Kobold

...or as 3d-folks call it "sphere mapping"
(edit: correction: Cube mapping. I never get this one right as I would project from a sphere map into a sky box... hence me using the term "sphere mapping".. wrongly. ...don't listen to me)

Last edited:

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
Think of it this way:
The corners of the skybox are further away than the center of each face. This means that when you look at the center of the faces, the plane is facing you (good), but when you look into the corners, the plane is now at an angle. You texture needs to reflect this.

notice how the images are not flat, they look stretched near the edges and corners.

Really what you need is a perspective projection for each face. A flat orthographic projection will not look correct.
Thanks a lot man!