Legacy GM Pokemon GO Style game

A

Astrotas

So i wanna make a pokemon go game in game maker so i can learn a bit more about game maker but i asked a friend who has had 7+ years experience with game maker and he said i need to use some api. Im not sure what to do. I just want an explaination of how to code it like a flowchart sort of thing. Thanks!

O

oggycather

Also can you ask your friend with 7 years+ experience how to make a text box and you can type inside it?

A

Astrotas

I don't think game maker can use a phone's gps?
My game was not going to use gps, i just wanted it to involve the real world, sorry for being too vague

and on that 2nd post, are u being sarcastic

O

oggycather

Oh thank you for the video!
You said "involving the real world" does it mean images of the real world?

A

Astrotas

Oh thank you for the video!
You said "involving the real world" does it mean images of the real world?
No as in streets in custom graphics
or those funky graphics in waze

But i prefer the pokemon go style without street names and distractions because they both use a map api (like waze uses google maps) then they change the graphics style.
There must be a way, it is possible in unity

A

AnimusRex

So I think you're not getting very many replies because you've asked a very difficult question.

This sounds like something only a veteran would even think to undertake; and using any sort of location mapping is indeed GPS, and not possible in Game Maker as far as I am aware.

Nobody is going to be able to explain how to code it in a flowchart, because we're probably talking hundreds if not thousands of lines of code, never mind all the resources you would need for a game of this size.

If you're looking to learn the basics of GML, go look up some basic platformers or top-down games on youtube, don't intend to make an equivalent for a game that was produced by an entire modern development team using (forgive my use of the term) real programming languages.

You'd probably be better off to do it from the ground up in C# or something like that.

A

Astrotas

So I think you're not getting very many replies because you've asked a very difficult question.

This sounds like something only a veteran would even think to undertake; and using any sort of location mapping is indeed GPS, and not possible in Game Maker as far as I am aware.

Nobody is going to be able to explain how to code it in a flowchart, because we're probably talking hundreds if not thousands of lines of code, never mind all the resources you would need for a game of this size.

If you're looking to learn the basics of GML, go look up some basic platformers or top-down games on youtube, don't intend to make an equivalent for a game that was produced by an entire modern development team using (forgive my use of the term) real programming languages.

You'd probably be better off to do it from the ground up in C# or something like that.
ok so no one is getting my question
I am NOT using location mapping. There is a way of doing this in game maker. I have seen this done before. is it not hard to do this? all I am asking in this question is about the road graphics like how I showed in my above post. Thats all. The rest is super easy. I am NOT asking about GPS or location mapping.

A

Astrotas

https://marketplace.yoyogames.com/assets/2138/gps-location <look at what i've found

Do you need to generate streets or just draw them? In other words would you be satisfied with just drawing in some image editor a background image that contains a bunch of steets, and just using that in your game?

Y

Yager86

I think people are getting confused on the misunderstanding of the geomapping confusion. You're wanting to use an asset pretty similar to a map (google maps style) without the location function. Do you want to use actual images of streets and layouts or are you wanting to make a map and add it to a game style similar to that of Pokemon Go?

M

Matthew

If you have to ask these sorts of questions, you can't do this project. Sorry. You demonstrate you have no idea what you're doing when you ask if someone's city generator made with unreal is " game maker ready".

And maybe if no one is getting your question, it's completely your fault and you should re-evaluate your grasp on the English language.

L

Lukas

So i wanna make a pokemon go game in game maker so i can learn a bit more about game maker
Before you embark on a game this difficult/complicated start with something easier. You shouldn't be making a huge game to learn about gamemaker. You should make a bunch of smaller games to slowly learn how to use and master gm.

Reactions: Yal
A

Astrotas

If you have to ask these sorts of questions, you can't do this project. Sorry. You demonstrate you have no idea what you're doing when you ask if someone's city generator made with unreal is " game maker ready".

And maybe if no one is getting your question, it's completely your fault and you should re-evaluate your grasp on the English language.
Oh sorry. i asked if it was game maker because it said ported to unreal.

And i am a fluent English speaker. My first language.

And in response to flyingsaucerinvasion I wanted to generate streets in game maker similar to https://twitter.com/delacian/status/698922063675969537

D

DevNorway

You need alot of experience to even be able to do that. (We are talking about 5+ years)

A

Astrotas

None of you guys get me. I'm strictly talking about generating streets. Nothing else.

Mazey

And you want something that does it for you? It sounds like that's a huge part of the game and in my opinion that means you should code it yourself, it will give you more control too.

M

Matthew

Look back to your original post.

So i wanna make a pokemon go game in game maker so i can learn a bit more about game maker but i asked a friend who has had 7+ years experience with game maker and he said i need to use some api. Im not sure what to do. I just want an explaination of how to code it like a flowchart sort of thing. Thanks!
How is anyone in the right mind going to divine that you actually mean "I'm strictly talking about generating streets. Nothing else." when you don't even mention streets in your opening post? Goddamn. You mention that you want to make a pogeymon go game, and then ask what api you need, and then you "just want" a flowchart, but what you actually want is someone to generate the streets.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Pokémon GO reads map data and monster-and-item-node-data from a big server database and also uses the built-in GPS of the device you run it on... so basically it needs a lot of networking programming AND using an API to converse with hardware. Not anything I'd recommend for your first game no matter what engine you're gonna use. I'd recommend remaking the first two games instead... a lot easier gameplay compared to the later games with their held items, passive abilities and mega evolutions, 151 monsters instead of well over 700, and overall its scope should be low enough to enable you to make something to that effect. But still lots of cool lessons to learn, like how to manage lists of monster and item data, how to make simple dialogue tree cutscenes, and how to build a big interconnected world.

upload_2016-7-31_22-25-36.png

A

AnimusRex

Go look at heartbeasts random terrain generation using a grid. That'd be some of the fundamental understanding you'd need to create randomly generated streets.

I still have no real idea what your intended idea is. So it's not GPS. So it.. just generates streets randomly? Does it need to look like a real map? What's the goal of the game?

Roa

This convo section.

No one is reading OP's question right, though I can understand why with a title like " pokemon go style"

op, what you want to do is probably just take an intersection and make road ways branch from that, and then a little later on in random twist and turns, branch from that, untill it fills the space. You can draw complex spiderweb like structures of twist and turns by constantly spawning in cardinal directions at "intersections" then randomly following them out for a set length.

N

NPT

The whole thread is a trainwreck.

The OP doesn't know Game Maker and thinks he can learn Game Maker by asking for an "explaination of how to code it like a flowchart sort of thing".

That's absolutely ludicrous and should not be accommodated on these forums. OP if you want to lern how to use Game Maker start with the built in tutorials and/or external tutorials. Asking for somebody to give you an explanation like a flow chart is silly and can't be done.

Last edited by a moderator:
A

AnimusRex

This convo section.

No one is reading OP's question right, though I can understand why with a title like " pokemon go style"

op, what you want to do is probably just take an intersection and make road ways branch from that, and then a little later on in random twist and turns, branch from that, untill it fills the space. You can draw complex spiderweb like structures of twist and turns by constantly spawning in cardinal directions at "intersections" then randomly following them out for a set length.
I understood him, eventually, I think. Heartbeasts tutorial could be used to learn the basics of random road generation using a grid. But jesus, he apparently has no fundamental understanding of what programming is if he thinks you can just be like "Oh hey, yeah, flowchart me how to code this". Doesn't help that he doesn't write like English is a first language.

Z

zendraw

you guys shuld calm down and restrain from giving your opinionnated wisdom when not asked for. half of the thread is just that, jibberish, and noone can learn anything from it. Theres nothing wrong in being ambitious and further more i think hes intelligent enough to understand if he can or cant do this when he actually starts doing it.

Astratos, id suggest explore the path functions, you can make random roads with them, how you gonna do them? its up to you. but start with simple paths like a random path from A to B, and perfect that linear path like controll how random its curve shuld be etc. and then find out how to pick up certain points from that path and from those points make another path and so on making a city or w/e.

Roa

you guys shuld calm down and restrain from giving your opinionnated wisdom when not asked for. half of the thread is just that, jibberish, and noone can learn anything from it.
The irony.

Look, the situation is that the OP has been kinda bad at communicating his intentions. We go from "pokemon type game" to some "unknown api extension" to the biggest piece of wisdom being his friend about some ambiguous suggestions that no one else has context on. Now we are at procedural generated roads. That's how off base this was. People being confused and confronting OP on the situation is nothing short of expect. I only knew what he was talking about 3/4rths the way through the page after we play guessing games and he says no. We're here to help, but he has to help us lol.

Last edited:
Z

zendraw

no hes not bad at communicating his intentions, its quite clear that after some suggestions he made some progress with his goal thus the changes.
and im not criticising the confused people, im criticising some bashing and offtopic comments that dont contribute to HIS purpose and i myself dont find usefull.
to clear the confusion, he wants to make a pokemon go like game, so according to your knowledge what kind/type of a pokemon go game can be made with GMS? suggest approaches. thats all.

C

ConsolCWBY

@NPT:
FLOWCHARTS ARE FOR WIMPS! RECURSIVE SPAGHETTI CODE ARE FOR REAL CODERS!!1!42
(lol at ur chart, btw)

Z

zendraw

your heart is your flow and your mind is your chart. rediscover them and you will discover your natural flow-chart.

F

foose

I am using GPS in a game for learning English. I could probably use google maps if I wanted to. It tracks better than Pokémon which says tablets cannot be used. Just do a search on the google programmers portal. Use what they tell you and generate an extension. Easy!