• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

GMC Jam Discussion The Post-Apocalyptic GMC Jam #1 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdgamedev

I see all you guys with stuff done.... Feeling completely jealous. My parents planned an entire weekend in London and I have to go :/... imma have about 6 hours to make something :(. I might just not enter and make it through the week instead haha

trg601

I haven't even started programming yet, making art takes so much time XD
And the art is still not very good

Last edited:

The M

In order to get my zombies to have at least somewhat dynamic behavior, while still being able to actually reach their destination, I'm doing some kind of unholy combination of mp_grid and linear motion.

Nallebeorn

Okay, done for today. This is shaping up really well, so far.
Guess I should do a back-up first, though...

EDIT: Or actually, never mind that. I had forgotten I have GM's backups directory set to a Dropbox-subfolder, already =)

M

MikeDark_x

I had forgoten I had once seen some really nice top down skeleton sprites...

but nah... I might make some simpler... using those would take a little time in the design of the ai...

R

RustyShadow

I think these jams are great for learning about the free tools that are out there, and learning how others make their games. The shear amount of creativity others have is astounding!

M

Miner7365

I felt like everything was going wrong earlier today when i relized i had no idea how to do jumps in the physics engine, but now i have basically caught up....

A

Aura

Made *some* progress!

Rusty's still working on the tileset and a parallax background, so you might not be able to see rest of the environment; but Satsuka's there in her full glory. (Her walking animation is much better; but I'd save that for some other time.)

As for the rest of you, you're way too good to make me feel more motivated; particulary @aamatniekss and @Kepons... *hides katana, whistling*

Ninety

This weekend is far too packed for me to attempt anything, but I'm tentatively considering video reviews. Probably something long form, play through all the games and then edit it down to be punchier. Not done anything like that before, might be an interesting challenge for me.

I definitely want to enter the next Jam though. Sick of looking on from the sidelines!

K

Kiesenverseist

Ah... it seems I'm late.

Well I'll think of something... Hopefully...

Update:
I have an idea! That's a start.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

MikeDark_x

Figures... I made a really nice looking tileset but didn't remember to make it the size of the sprites... so it's way too small

Zerb Games

I'm in hospital right now and don't have access to a PC do you think I could have a late start? Plz I'll record it... I get out tomorrow if all goes well.

M

Miner7365

Everyone else is posting amazing pics of their games, and I'm just like:
I mean.... in all honest it's just the art that makes it seem alot more then it really is..... also box2d sucks, feels free to quote me on that

Mercerenies

I'm in hospital right now and don't have access to a PC do you think I could have a late start? Plz I'll record it... I get out tomorrow if all goes well.
You can start whenever you want, as long as you finish in the time frame. I'm not sure how lenient Alice is going to be on slightly late entries, as the Jam has had a sort of wishy washy past on that sort of thing. But you can certainly start now, and a lot of people make good games in 24-48 hours.

Zerb Games

You can start whenever you want, as long as you finish in the time frame. I'm not sure how lenient Alice is going to be on slightly late entries, as the Jam has had a sort of wishy washy past on that sort of thing. But you can certainly start now, and a lot of people make good games in 24-48 hours.
K m8 I appreciate the response, I was really bummed that I was in the hospital. I'll have to contact Alice about this one.

S

Snail Man

I have that worst type of bug where the level arbitrarily screws up generation only once in about 100 plays, and I have literally no idea what's causing it, and I can't replicate it to fix it.

D

DocNogloff

Oh darn. I told my dad, who is pretty zen-ish and religious (not that I have anything against that) about the theme and he says it's too dark and negative. He then proceeded to suggest me to make a game about people in heaven and Peter's disciples instead. I told him I already started on the graphics yesterday and it would be too wasteful to do another, so he walked away but he doesn't seem too happy...

N

nvrogers

Oh darn. I told my dad, who is pretty zen-ish and religious (not that I have anything against that) about the theme and he says it's too dark and negative. He then proceeded to suggest me to make a game about people in heaven and Peter's disciples instead. I told him I already started on the graphics yesterday and it would be too wasteful to do another, so he walked away but he doesn't seem too happy...
On the bright side, your dad seems pretty okay with games even being seriously about religion. Where I live, people would break out the pitchforks and torches if I told them I was making a game about religion in pretty much any way.

Zodaris

I decided on a more comedic take on this theme. If you've ever seen the show "Galavant" or heard the song "My Dragon Pal and Me" from it, it'll be inspired by that. In my game you have a pet dragon and you use it to burn down the village of all the people who never believed you or your pet "dragon" (as they thought it was just a lizard. >:D )

My art skills are lacking, and the last time I drew a dragon was when I was 12 or something. That said, here's what I got so far for art:
spr_dragon_0.png spr_peasent_on_fire_0.png spr_base_house_0.png spr_house_on_fire_0.png

HayManMarc

So...
I got a 8 hour late start. I had no good idea of what to make. Settled on a platformer. Again.
I spent the day of interruptions on creating and coding an animated player sprite (idle, run, jump), animated doors (no code yet), and an animated stairwell mechanic (coded and functioning - woo-hoo!).
And that's it so far. I have a loose idea for a plot. No idea if I can finish in time or not.
I'm calling it "Last Hope".
Fingers crossed -- now back to it. I'll try to post pics and start a devlog later.

Last edited:
Whew, about 14 hours spent working today! It's well into the AM at this point, so I better get some sleep so I can keep on working tomorrow. As long as I don't lose my motivation by then, I should be good to go. And I think maybe possibly hopefully I can finish on time for once ;)

M

Miner7365

So, basically, i relized a bug in my game is funnier then the premise of it so..... yeah i'm screwed i think.....

--- EDIT ---

Oh god, the music was still playing.... just ignore that....

Last edited by a moderator:
N

Nexusrex

Good mornin' jammers (As i've just woke up). So, I've got much things to do..Good luck.

D

DocNogloff

So this is what I have right now... I have gameplay figured out in my head, so I'll start implementing that. After that it'll just be a matter of polish. Enjoy this massive gif :p

Status
Not open for further replies.