• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Discussion Worst programming language

R

Rukiri

The worst programming language is usually the first, remember punch cards? They were the worst! But hey, who uses them now huh? Man had the last laugh!

K

Kuro

The worst programming language is usually the first, remember punch cards? They were the worst! But hey, who uses them now huh? Man had the last laugh!
No way! Mark my words. Punch cards are like 8-track, some day the world is going to realize its mistake and bring them back. Handing over your cards and waiting 2 days for the output to come back from the mainframe, halcyon days... halcyon days my friend.

lolcats Its the worst programming language. The worst serious programming language I've dealt with was MIVA. I had to correct their examples and typos in official tutorials and the manual.

John Andrews

Living Enigma
There's one truly worst programming language only ones wanting to die would want to learn, a programing language seemingly made by the devil himself, named after one of the circles of hell (or something).

That programing language is called...

Malbolge

T

The Sentient

Klingon would have to be my least favorite coding language.

Basic leap year calculator (https://esolangs.org/wiki/Var'aq)

Code:
'Ij
~ DIS cher
DIS 4 chuv
rap'a'
DIS 100 chuv
rapbe'a'
je
DIS 100 chuv
rap'a'
DIS 400 chuv
rap'a'
je
joq
latlh
{ "Is a leap year" cha' }
HIja'chugh
{ "Isn't a leap year" cha' }
ghobe'chugh
Sadly, I understand most of the code at a glance.

Coded Games

Other than the bunch of esolangs mentioned here, I really dislike C. My hatred for it is probably entirely caused by my completely terrible professor.

Last edited:

0.Bytes

Clipper (a really old language) and I think COBOL it is kinda weird also

G

Gamezards

+1 to COBOL (COmmon Business Oriented Language). Never earned anything, not even a thanks.

D

Dark

The language used by the GPU and CPU entities in Wiremod, an addon for Garry's Mod.
It's a strange amalgamation of a weird assembly language and C, with the only number type being float, the only allowed types in function arguments being float and char*, and all non-float variables being global and allocated before the program runs. And it's not even fast to make up for how terrible it is to use like an assembly language and C could be because it's probably interpreted by a Lua script.

A little bit of code I wrote for the wire GPU a few days ago:
Code:
#define OBJ_SIZE 1
#define vertex db

float objActive(float id)
{
    return *(id * OBJ_SIZE + 32768);
}

void setColor(float r, float g, float b)
{
    mov #common_C_1.r, r;
    mov #common_C_1.g, g;
    mov #common_C_1.b, b;
    dcolor common_C_1;
}

void drawLine(float x0, float y0, float x1, float y1)
{
    mov #common_V2_1.x, x0;
    mov #common_V2_1.y, y0;
    mov #common_V2_2.x, x1;
    mov #common_V2_2.y, y1;

dline common_V2_1, common_V2_2;
}

vec2f common_V2_1, 0, 0;
vec2f common_V2_2, 0, 0;

color common_C_1, 255, 255, 255;
color common_C_2, 255, 255, 255;

Last edited by a moderator:

Mercerenies

The language used by the GPU and CPU entities in Wiremod, an addon for Garry's Mod.
It's a strange amalgamation of a weird assembly language and C, with the only number type being float, the only allowed types in function arguments being float and char*, and all non-float variables being global and allocated before the program runs. And it's not even fast to make up for how terrible it is to use like an assembly language and C could be because it's probably interpreted by a Lua script.

A little bit of code I wrote for the wire GPU a few days ago:
<snip>
I've never seen that before. There are intentionally bad languages that are prettier than that.

ksb

"Haskell is the worst language ever made, except for all the other languages" - Winston Churchill

Churchill was a very forward-thinking guy.

Tcl takes an adjustment period, like Lisp. But it is beautiful in its purity when you get used to it.
So does getting around by hopping, but I prefer to travel without one leg tied behind my back :)

(LISP is horrible too, and yes I do get why it exists, but it's still ugh)

T

Thunder Lion

I struggle with RL english. I always try thiz code exicute_get_girl and it just keeps saying loading...

T

Thunder Lion

No way! Mark my words. Punch cards are like 8-track, some day the world is going to realize its mistake and bring them back. Handing over your cards and waiting 2 days for the output to come back from the mainframe, halcyon days... halcyon days my friend.
We will have HD punch cards with micrometer holes

I struggle with RL english. I always try thiz code exicute_get_girl and it just keeps saying loading...
Maybe it's because you're "exicuting" the wrong script? Try execute_get_girl();.

Scratch is undoubtedly bad, especially when you're an experienced programmer, but for a beginner, it's actually really robust for programming fundamentals.

Funny enough, it has a special place in my heart, I started with it all on my own a few weeks before we started with it at school back in 2012, 2 months later I was looking for something better to do in my free time, and that's how I found GM8.

Oh, and then this spin off of it by MIT too: appinventor.mit.edu which is basically Scratch for Android :p

I haven't seen the "worst" programming language yet, but this could also be due to my lack of exploring underground/outdated languages :)

T

Thunder Lion

How do you use some of these? What is the core code for all these I mean, what is after binary??