Windows You are a torpedo AI - RELEASED!!

Vote for us on Steam Greenlight!! http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=791585463

YOU ARE A TORPEDO AI is a game where, well, you are a torpedo AI. You must guide the torpedo to its target, avoiding collisions with the obstacles on the way.

Be warned: this game is HARD. I'm still working on the difficulty curve, but believe me when I say all the levels are possible to complete.

Download:
https://boustrophedon.itch.io/you-are-a-torpedo-ai

Greetings and have fun,
Boustrophedon

17/november/2016-v1.0.0
  • Final version released!
  • 16 new levels (91 levels total)
  • Speedrun mode
12/october/2016 - 0.5.1
  • Color scheme of world 4 changed
  • Homing torpedo speed reduced by 10%
  • Fixed the mines' explosion radius
07/september/2016 - 0.5.0
  • 15 new levels (75 levels total)
  • Fullscreen option added
  • Preview of the level added

11/july/2016 - 0.4.1
  • The mines explosion radius is now visible
  • The HUD fades when the torpedo is close to it

08/july/2016 - 0.4.0
  • 15 new levels (60 levels total)

08/may/2016 - 0.3.0
  • 15 new levels (45 levels total)
  • New progression system
  • The boost is a little bit more powerful now

06/april/2016 - v0.2.0

• Some levels were altered
  • 15 new levels (30 levels total)
  • Shaders

Last edited:

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
This really deserves more attention. It's a great start, and lots of fun. From what I've played so far, it's better than many of the games in the finished games forum.

I especially like your graphical style. Very slick and professional, with a cartoonish retro look to the torpedo and target ships. And the secondary art like the bubbles, backgrounds, explosions, etc. are also very well done. And your use of light and shadow in the background gives this a wonderful feeling of depth. Everything looks consistent and visually pleasing.

The gameplay is challenging at first, because of the controls. But the level-of-difficult starts low and increases at the right pace each level. So I was able to get through the first few levels fairly quickly. I'm still playing... just wanted to leave a quick note here to give this topic some well-deserved attention.

Great job on this so far!

This really deserves more attention. It's a great start, and lots of fun. From what I've played so far, it's better than many of the games in the finished games forum.

I especially like your graphical style. Very slick and professional, with a cartoonish retro look to the torpedo and target ships. And the secondary art like the bubbles, backgrounds, explosions, etc. are also very well done. And your use of light and shadow in the background gives this a wonderful feeling of depth. Everything looks consistent and visually pleasing.

The gameplay is challenging at first, because of the controls. But the level-of-difficult starts low and increases at the right pace each level. So I was able to get through the first few levels fairly quickly. I'm still playing... just wanted to leave a quick note here to give this topic some well-deserved attention.

Great job on this so far!
Thanks man, I really appreciate that.

Surgeon_

Symbian Curator
Pros:
This is a very simple and clean looking but fun and relaxing game. Well made, no bugs, good controls, ability to turn off sound and music, clean graphics (though maybe lacking a little detail - but it's a simple game, so maybe details aren't needed), fun mechanics. I especially enjoyed the levels with the underwater currents.

Cons:
Torpedo sprite could be improved.

:p

Suggestion:
Maybe the ability to preview a level before firing would be good, but the game is certainly playable without it.

Final words:
After playing Wrath of the Lick King the whole day, this was very relaxing for my brain.

-Surgeon_

Alexx

This game gets better && better with each update.
Simple to play, frustrating at times, suitable graphics - everything a casual game needs to be.

Pros:
This is a very simple and clean looking but fun and relaxing game. Well made, no bugs, good controls, ability to turn off sound and music, clean graphics (though maybe lacking a little detail - but it's a simple game, so maybe details aren't needed), fun mechanics. I especially enjoyed the levels with the underwater currents.

Cons:
Torpedo sprite could be improved.

:p

Suggestion:
Maybe the ability to preview a level before firing would be good, but the game is certainly playable without it.

Final words:
After playing Wrath of the Lick King the whole day, this was very relaxing for my brain.

-Surgeon_
thanks man

i really liked your torpedo hahaha. i have never thought about it until now, but i think it is a good idea to add some unlockable torpedo skins.

your suggestion is also very good, i'll give it a thought.

J

jimmosio

Very good game, really. Well done.
I'm a fan of "drifting" levels. It makes my torpedo feel even more sentient!
However, I was a bit sad when I realized I couldn't full-screen, and I understood why, the textures don't seem to be so high-res. If you will ever consider doing a texture overhaul, try to make them at a higher resolution. Heck, you could try to make them vectorially!
Also, you could to put some graphical/sound effect when you boost. Right now, the torpedo's speed increases and that's it. Perhaps you could lower the amount of bubbles the torpedo normally makes, and increase it to its current state when you boost?

Last edited by a moderator:
Very good game, really. Well done.
I'm a fan of "drifting" levels. It makes my torpedo feel even more sentient!
However, I was a bit sad when I realized I couldn't full-screen, and I understood why, the textures don't seem to be so high-res. If you will ever consider doing a texture overhaul, try to make them at a higher resolution. Heck, you could try to make them vectorially!
Also, you could to put some graphical/sound effect when you boost. Right now, the torpedo's speed increases and that's it. Perhaps you could lower the amount of bubbles the torpedo normally makes, and increase it to its current state when you boost?
thanks man

right now i don't really have the time needed to improve the graphics. after i finish my master's degree this will be my number 1 priority.

when you boost the torpedo makes like 3 times more bubbles, but it is a good idea to add some sound effect.

Gravedust

Just gave this a shot, it's pretty fun, in a slightly frustrating, explosive sort of way. ;) But the difficulty does make you feel good when you beat a level. :)
I made it to 2-5 in my first sitting, difficulty curve seems to be tuned fairly well. I really like the variety of enemies and mechanics in play, and as I understand form looking at your blog posts, there are more I haven't encountered yet.

Like most other people I like the 'drift' levels, once I got the hang of them, though they still give me trouble in some areas. My iteration count on the harder levels was usually around 40-50, with my average being somewhere around 20-25, I'd reckon. No level stands out as being particularly frustrating or awful. And while all the levels were enjoyable and well made, so far I haven't encountered one I could call a standout favorite of the bunch.

I did find the torpedo controls to be a bit 'floaty' for my liking, it's hard to even move in a straight line at first, but I suspect this is a conscious decision in service to increasing the difficulty of maneuvering a bit.

The visuals are nice. :) I really like the background pulse effect. The 'obstacle' skulls stood out a bit as being a little less polished and appropriate than the rest of the sprites. I understand that you have other things to worry about than visuals at this stage, but if I had to choose one sprite to give an upgrade that'd be it. The explosion effects and bubble particles are a nice touch. In all it looks very polished, with just one or two exceptions.

As mentioned above, some additional effect when the player is boosting would be nice, just for flavor's sake. This is pretty minor though.

In all, seems pretty solid. :) I'll probably take another crack at it at to see if I can get further in the levels soon.
Hope this feedback helps, and if you'd like my impressions on anything more specific, feel free to ask. :)

Alexx

Huge fan of this game, have been eagerly following your progress with anticipation.

Any chance you can create a ZIP version? My computer doesn't like the EXE.

Phoebe Klim

Well made game!

I quit in world 2 level 3.
Good graphics, particles, controls and level design.
Sinusoid level seems to be easier than Spiral.
Loop level is nicely done.
A hill??? is easier than levels before it.
This is kind of game that should have level editor.
You could also add coins in alternate and more difficult routes.
Consider collaborating for composer/sound designer to make original music/sound effects for your game.

Well made game!

I quit in world 2 level 3.
Good graphics, particles, controls and level design.
Sinusoid level seems to be easier than Spiral.
Loop level is nicely done.
A hill??? is easier than levels before it.
This is kind of game that should have level editor.
You could also add coins in alternate and more difficult routes.
Consider collaborating for composer/sound designer to make original music/sound effects for your game.
Thanks for the feedback man

I always introduce the player to a new concept in an easy level and then I gradually increase the difficulty. That's why sometimes the level 8 is a lot easier than level 7.
I agree about the level editor. Unfortunately i have no idea how to make one :(
I tried to put collectibles and alternate routes in the game, but they made the level design process incredibly harder and didn't really made the game more enjoyable.
It would be awesome to have an original soundtrack, but i'm broke and can't hire a music guy.

Alexx

I do like this game, though I must admit I preferred the more basic backgrounds. To much colour makes it hard to concentrate.

I do like this game, though I must admit I preferred the more basic backgrounds. To much colour makes it hard to concentrate.
i'm not really happy with my game's graphics. after i finish the remaining levels, i'll try to improve everything, including the backgrounds.