• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Is anyone old school enough to know what this logo is from?

O

OrangeBit

I am curious to see if anyone can name where this came from. I would be genuinely surprised if anyone in the gmc has been around long enough to say where this logo is from. It's ancient history at this point haha!​

preYOYO.png

A

Andy

I don't recognize the bird.
I think the icon it's holding was from GM 6. Before YoYo bought the program from Mark Overmars.

Toque

I am curious to see if anyone can name where this came from. I would be genuinely surprised if anyone in the gmc has been around long enough to say where this logo is from. It's ancient history at this point haha!​

View attachment 16542

Im ancient history and it does look familiar but no can't put a name on it. Atari 2600- vic 20- colecovision- adam computer- c-64- amiga- etc etc

S

Sam (Deleted User)

Easy, it is a Pheonix riding on a ball with a picture of a hammer printed on it. Yeah I recognize the old GM4-GM7 icon, but no clue why a Phoenix is on it.

Tsa05

I joined the GMC in February 2004, 4 months after it was created. Can't say I know where the bird is from, though. I wouldn't exactly say that being around here a while is synonymous with knowing that image ;)

O

OrangeBit

I joined the GMC in February 2004, 4 months after it was created. Can't say I know where the bird is from, though. I wouldn't exactly say that being around here a while is synonymous with knowing that image ;)
By that I mean following GM since it's inception, not just on the forums. It's from something that doesn't exist anymore. I assume someone that's followed Game Maker's progress & been playing peoples games for some time now has had to stumbled across it. Admittedly, it's pretty obscure & not something everyone would recognize. Brownie points for whoever does though!

GMWolf

aka fel666
Well i recognize the GM6-7? logo.
But the pheonix? is it from some revival project or something?

preYoyo.png huh...
also reverse image search came up with nothing

The real question is who remembers Enigma, Ultimate 3D, Extreme 3D, Extreme physics, etc?
(well, not that old but its around when i became active on the forums)

Ok, the more I look at the image the more familiar it seems. I have seen that bird before.

Last edited:

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
I know the logo, but not the bird. And I remember Enigma and some of those other things too. I really wish they would bring back some functionality for us to get more direct access to GM functions and variables from outside, so people could make some really good extensions.

GMWolf

aka fel666
I know the logo, but not the bird. And I remember Enigma and some of those other things too. I really wish they would bring back some functionality for us to get more direct access to GM functions and variables from outside, so people could make some really good extensions.
right? I mean, there are ways to do some things using the social event. But being able to access scripts directly would be increadible!
What was it called again, the tool that allowed crazy hooks into GM8?

A

Andy

GM 4.2 was the first version I used. Just seeing the icon brings back memories. :)

O

OrangeBit

Ok, the more I look at the image the more familiar it seems. I have seen that bird before.
The plot thickens. *Que dramatic music

A moderator moved the thread to off topic *stops dramatic music
That pretty much kills this discussion. Now I might as well tell everyone where it's from. That's no fun I was gonna let this be a mystery!

S

signal

Seems oddly familiar. How about a hint?

I want to say it was like a file hosting service for GM users.

O

OrangeBit

When I reveal what it's from you guys will get to learn something pretty cool about the old game maker logo. Pretty sure we all thought it was a hammer in the circle but a version 3 logo not found on the internet shows something different.

L

Lonewolff

Don't recognise it at all. Maybe I am too old school.

This is how I clear the screen to black and set the graphics mode to text only.

Code:
LDA #$00
STA $D020
STA $D021
LDA #$15
STA $D018

Jabbers

Oh right, I thought the OP genuinely wanted to know what the origins were, but they already know.

I've never seen it before, but I was going to guess it was someone's avatar, just based on the dimensions.

O

OrangeBit

*Answer*
A couple of you say it seems familiar. gmshowcase.dk was the official spot for games made with Game Maker after gamemaker.nl was overwhelmed by the amount of games that creators had been submitting. I think it's pretty much safe to call it the predecessor to Yoyogames.
Gmshowcase.png
(I was not really there, just edited my name in where it said new user. The site is offline)
GamesShowcase.png
There was a button that linked you to this site from gamemaker.nl on the games tab.
sprite0.png sprite1.png
That looks like a gavel in the logo? It's the only time it was shown with color.
I don't know what it is, still might be a hammer or a pickaxe in the pre-gm8 logo.

Here's the phoenix again
sprite3.png

S

signal

There were a few of these sites (hosting/review) back in the day, weren't there? I believe one was called Game Maker Games.