I officially wave the white flag!

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Frankfield

I officially wave the white flag and give up, I am admitting defeat, I cannot get the grasp of coding, I am happy to say I have honestly given it my best effort. I bought GMS over a year ago now and I have been using it a lot, not every day but most and lots at the weekend, I even bought heartbeasts book and 2 other books (Game Maker Essentials and Game Maker programming with GML)

Today I uninstalled GMS 1.4 and I will go back to simply playing games and drop all my thoughts of creating simple ones for myself.

(for the record I did consider raiding my bank account and buying GMS 2.0 and then using drag and drop, but after some research I found out that drag and drop in 2.0 isn't really viable for making games and is only a stepping stone to GML. well I've had a year of gml and I cannot do it.)

This isn't a complaint thread btw, I'm not moaning or asking for my money back lol, I'm just saying 'goodbye' and could a mod please delete or lock my account on this forum.

so long coders, I envy you all :)

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
Its up to you, and there are some people just not cut out for it. I will also say though that one good thing about the D&D of GMS2...it let's you directly convert to GML. I'm wondering if this wouldn't help you get better. My other thought is simply, what have you tried? And have you posted questions on the forum where you get stuck?

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
I disagree - I've seen some large games made with D&D..... but go try for yourself. There's a free trial, it won't cost you a thing.

I know a few folk who can't stare at "scripts" but D&D icons etc works much better for them as it's much more visual. You won't know unless you try!

Watch this... someone just like you, where the D&D works better for them...

K

Kobold

[...]after some research I found out that drag and drop in 2.0 isn't really viable for making games and is only a stepping stone to GML. ...)[...]
...that is interesting... if anything I have learned that the interface has become much more elaborate for DnD ...it even has its own graphical part within the IDE... I am surprised to read that.

L

Lonewolff

(for the record I did consider raiding my bank account and buying GMS 2.0 and then using drag and drop, but after some research I found out that drag and drop in 2.0 isn't really viable for making games and is only a stepping stone to GML.
I haven't really used DnD much as I have always been used to coding and I find DnD more confusing to be honest.

But that said, there are plenty of awesome games out there that use DnD alone.

In the end, it is more about how well you can use the tools at hand and not so much about what language (or method) is best.

Tulloch

The most fun part of coding for me is learning new stuff. I started out raiding project files laying around the web and slowly fragmented my knowledge together until things started adding up. It is perhaps your method of learning that disables you the most.

Sabnock

Sounds like you have rage quit. I'd give it a few days and then make your decision.

Have you been telling yourself all this time "I can't do that" and then not even tried or have you genuinely put your head to it but struggled to grasp the concepts?

Status
Not open for further replies.