GMC Jam Discussion The Post-Apocalyptic GMC Jam #1 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DocNogloff

Uhhh I made a thing. I cannot ever of course match the amount of skill you guys here have though, so this will have to suffice.

T

Tselmek

Not overly inspired by the theme but I'll keep brainstorming and see if I can figure something out. Y'all guys' art looks wonderful, keep it up!

ghandpivot

Sweet stuff people, looking promising already.
I've laid out a nice foundation for my entire game, feels pretty solid already as I've managed to make a lot of general templates which I can simply scale and modify to alter the game's behaviour.
It looks super clean and simple in the editor too :D

Though there's still a lot of work to be done if it's going to be any fun to play.

M

MikeDark_x

Definition of hell: Having a load of ideas but knowing that the best ones are impossible to make in this short timeframe

T

TheUltimate

The games are looking great so far.

As much as I'd like to jump in, unfortunately I don't have time to make anything of substance. But if you need ideas or somebody to test your game before the Jam ends, let me know!

N

Nexusrex

This is where I'll update progress and post my final version.

Experimenting with some new concepts so we'll see how it goes. I'm going for a Waterworld meets FTL style game.

Some images:

http://imgur.com/a/JHPPv

As you can see, when you collide with an object you get an event.

http://imgur.com/a/hJ4nd

Still playing with concepts of crew and combat, but random events are in their infancy and should be flushed out a bit more later today.
Actually, you should put the game at the GMC Jam Games topic

M

Miner7365

Okay, just woke up, i'm going to start work on my jam entry now....

Oh, everyone is dead won, okay then, i can do this...

trg601

I thought the Jam was supposed to start at 7pm... and my sister (graphics) seemed to think it was next week, so I am going to have to do this jam alone.

D

DocNogloff

Well, it's well over midnight where I live now. At least I got somewhere...

Still very simple, and no gameplay at all atm. Just got the general looks of the most important parts polished.
I've only started this at like 8pm, and I actually wasted almost an hour over another idea but was then scrapped for being too ambitious. Let's hope tomorrow will see some extra speedy progress.

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Does it have graveyard humour? I mean, it looks like the sort of game that just asks for it.

D

DocNogloff

Does it have graveyard humour? I mean, it looks like the sort of game that just asks for it.
Well, the game IS kind of based around you doing things according to what you can read on the gravestone when you interact with it, so there will probably be some graveyard humor ish stuff. But I'm pretty bad at cracking jokes, so that's gonna take some time :p

Nallebeorn

Ugh. Spent an hour trying to figure out why the player characters gets stuck in walls sometimes (revising the entire collision system in the process...). Turned out it was simply because I hadn't setup custom bounding boxes, so the collision box wasn't centered, and different animations had differently sized collision areas.

A

Antoknee

Ugh. Spent an hour trying to figure out why the player characters gets stuck in walls sometimes (revising the entire collision system in the process...). Turned out it was simply because I hadn't setup custom bounding boxes, so the collision box wasn't centered, and different animations had differently sized collision areas.
Sounds like fun times!

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
To celebrate the Jam, I'm going to make a whole bunch of my paid game engines free for the duration of the jam! Get MariaEngine, my dungeon crawler engine or one of my 3D engines for free! If you have no idea what to do and/or don't have time to make a polished game, this could be the turning point you need! I'm desperately trying to make this sound less than a shameless plug but failing! But you should check it out anyway, it would save you twenty US dollars! :D
https://itch.io/s/4571/gmc-apocalypse-jam-sale

The M

It took me about as long to realize that GM:Studio doesn't use precise collision checking by default. Now you only get stuck some of the times.

CodeManu

To celebrate the Jam, I'm going to make a whole bunch of my paid game engines free for the duration of the jam! Get MariaEngine, my dungeon crawler engine or one of my 3D engines for free! If you have no idea what to do and/or don't have time to make a polished game, this could be the turning point you need! I'm desperately trying to make this sound less than a shameless plug but failing! But you should check it out anyway, it would save you twenty US dollars! :D
https://itch.io/s/4571/gmc-apocalypse-jam-sale

Thanks Yal! That would be a great source of knowledge :D

G

GVmG

woohoo nothing special done today.

I barely have any idea what I'll do as a game, so for today I just made a cool main menu and a cutscene intro, instead of not doing anything.

M

MikeDark_x

I have been working around an hour because for some reason when I leave the platforms walking gravity does not work and I can't find the error... it's been too long since I have coded seriously...

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Started making a game using my FPS engine. I've got a bunch of ideas.... the first of which is glowstick lamps.

upload_2016-7-29_21-9-4.png

ghandpivot

I think the numbered boxes in the left one looks the best, does anyone disagree? Had a hard time deciding since I've been playing with the middle one all day.

Last edited:

Micah_DS

Wow...... looking at what you guys already have done and here I am with zero code and I gotta get ready to go to work for an 11 hour shift, and got another long shift tomorrow. Nevertheless, I'm still going to try my best.

Got a question though, and sorry if it's stupid but, does "Post-Apocalyptic" actually have anything to do with the theme or is it just for meme's sake? Or are we just going by "Everyone is dead"?

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
It's kinda sorta for meme's sake; or rather, it just seemed appropriate to theme the Jam as post-apocalyptic after all that forum change and whatnot.

When it comes to making entries, only EVERYBODY IS DEAD counts; you might take others into account, but you don't need to.

M

MikeDark_x

Wow...... looking at what you guys already have done and here I am with zero code and I gotta get ready to go to work for an 11 hour shift, and got another long shift tomorrow. Nevertheless, I'm still going to try my best.

Got a question though, and sorry if it's stupid but, does "Post-Apocalyptic" actually have anything to do with the theme or is it just for meme's sake? Or are we just going by "Everyone is dead"?
Nothing to do with the theme... but you can incorporate it...

On a side note my brain is starting to melt... not a single true good story... oh wait... that one could work...

Nevermind, it won't do

The M

Gore, gore and more gore. Got a decal surface for the stuff so there's really no upper limit to it.

Shadow Link

I guess the clock's theme fetcher still goofs up a little bit. I've fixed it up manually for this time, but I'll see why it happened. Continue jamming, peeps!

Status
Not open for further replies.