• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Windows [solved I guess] Games not running (black screen)

T

trentallain

Games do not work on my monitor (I'm running off a laptop).
When I try to run games using the little green arrow/F5, on windows GMS1.4, the game starts but it just has a black screen.

It works perfectly fine when not using the monitor, but when I do it just doesn't work at all. I've tried setting it to fullscreen, windowed, settings windows display to extend and second screen only and first screen only, but literally nothing works while connected to the monitor. Even though game maker opens fine...

T

trentallain

Also Alt-F4 does not close the black screen instantly. You have to press it a couple of time and wait a literal couple of minutes before you can get back to your desktop (alt-tab does not work or control panel)

L

Lonewolff

Bear with me, but does this also happen if you turn on vSync?

"Enable synchronisation to avoid tearing" in game properties.

S

Silver_Mantis

Games do not work on my monitor (I'm running off a laptop).
When I try to run games using the little green arrow/F5, on windows GMS1.4, the game starts but it just has a black screen.

It works perfectly fine when not using the monitor, but when I do it just doesn't work at all. I've tried setting it to fullscreen, windowed, settings windows display to extend and second screen only and first screen only, but literally nothing works while connected to the monitor. Even though game maker opens fine...
Did you attempt to load an earlier file of your project and try from there? I mean maybe you have a bug so bad it freaks out.
What did you do/change before this occurred?

T

trentallain

Did you attempt to load an earlier file of your project and try from there? I mean maybe you have a bug so bad it freaks out.
What did you do/change before this occurred?
It doesn't work in ALL of the game maker games I tried. But it works perfectly when not plugged into the monitor...

I

innercitysumo

Is your monitor plugged into the laptop as a second screen? Does it display the desktop OK? What happens if the GameMaker window is open on your laptop and you try to drag it across the the monitor?

T

trentallain

Is your monitor plugged into the laptop as a second screen? Does it display the desktop OK? What happens if the GameMaker window is open on your laptop and you try to drag it across the the monitor?
Yeah, it's a second screen. It displays the desktop and game maker ide fine too (and other stuff e.g. chrome). I've also tried setting it as the main screen and that screen only etc etc etc.

M

MadZenno

Sometimes computers require a restart or shutdown when something like a second monitor is added or something has changed.

Windows is wierd.

T

trentallain

Okay so it turns out it only works when my laptop is charging??? It wasn't working, I plugged in the charger, and it works...
Maybe it has some sort of inbuilt thing that prevents it from being run idk

I

innercitysumo

You could try setting the following flag and seeing if it makes a difference:

os_powersave_enable(false);