Thoughts on the Nintendo/Illumination partnership

C

ChrixTheGamer

So I've been reading in various places that Nintendo is partnering up with Illumination to make a Mario movie. I've always been a big Mario/Nintendo fan and I personally don't think this is a good idea. I haven't seen a good video game movie in... well, ever, and Illumination just seems like the wrong company to make a movie like this.

Seeing as most of us are game developers to some extent, how do you feel about this and why?

K

Kobold

... this is all I am going to add:
... and we all know...

Gamebot

Depends on how its accomplished. I think deep down we all want to see that one video game movie that was beyond our wildest dreams. More or less gives us all new meaning to the game itself. At least as far as video game movies go. If its mostly in the hands of Nintendo itself, not Illumination, it may turn out alright.

The big question is: How do you make a video game movie shine? 99.8% of us Nintendo fans would love to see a real action Zelda movie, one that is approved by Nintendo, not third party, like the last two. How do you Conceive an idea like Zelda without making it boring. Lets face it, sure there's dialog but mostly hints of what to do next....hmmm.

Though I did have an idea for a Mario spoof where the evil Browser attacks Mario and Luigi's computer. Somehow get sucked inside a pipe which leads to the inside of their computer. Of course the scenes where all green screen hallways where Mario and Luigi actually run across the walls, floor and ceiling to avoid obstacles. In the end a warp takes them Hyrule where they meet Link. Then link says screw the princess lets get you guys back home....and so the rest of the story.

The point why not mix it up to make it more interesting??? Anyone on something like this?

M

Meowanator

I don't think the movie will be horrible, just not amazing. Nintendo is really protective of their property nowadays compared to times, such as the Mario movie.

R

roytheshort

The film will be shot entirely in grayscale. Fade in, Mario enters the room, he is smoking a cigarette. The hospital staff glare at him, but say nothing. He picks up a newspaper, flicks to the sports page. It is simply titled "Mario Tennis". He isn't reading, and simply lets his eyes glaze over the text. He removes the cigarette from his mouth, he coughs. Lets out a sigh.

At this moment, Dr Mario walks into the room. He has a grave look on his face and walks towards Mario. His pupils roll upwards from the bland letters on the paper, his ears twitch. Cut to black, cut back to Mario at home. He has noticeably put on weight. His mustache has grown outwards and he is now sporting a beard. Empty beer cans and dorito packets litter the room.

Luigi is trying to contact him, but to no avail. A man that entrenched must solve his own battles, no amount of outside help can aid him anymore. Mario's clothes become visibly stained and face has become bulbous. Luigi, in his worry, has stopped eating. His body visibly lankier, and now he is only filled with resentment.

Mario's clothes now a thick yellow, Luigi's a purple, they both instantly die. The end.

G

Guest User

eh, they could do a lot worse than Illumination Entertainment tbh.
my guess is that it'll be an 'alright'-scoring light-hearted 3D quaint little animated adventure that kids--and fans who don't take it too seriously--will love just fine. neither particularly exceptional nor particularly terrible.

that is all assuming it's not something weird like the Emoji Movie where 'Mario Is Actually Real' and living inside our gamecubes or something. that's a little more unpredictable depending on how they go about it (e.i. 'Wreck-It-Ralph' v. 'Pixels').

I think there's a good chance it's pretty bad. Illumination isn't exactly amazing. Nintendo *is* amazing, so maybe we'll get a pleasant surprise, depending on how much control Nintendo keeps.

Should've given us a Breath in the Wild anime by Ghibli or something, instead... maybe an Animal Crossing by Kyoto Animation or Tezuka Productions...Metroid by Production I.G. or the Gainax offshoots. Splatoon by Shaft.

Sigh. Maybe one day... ):

F

Falconsoft-Industries

I can see this is gonna make a great movie, by illumination and Nintendo.

A

Ampersand

I don't think it's a good idea to make a feature length film surrounding characters who don't speak much. The uncanny valley will grab hold quickly if there is lots of dialogue, or they're really going to have to stretch the action.

@Ampersand: Didn't the Minions movies do really well? I've never seen them, but I thought they didn't talk.

Anyway, I grew up with Mario talking in my cartoons as a kid, and it was 💩💩💩💩ing awesome. I don't know what you're talking about. "THAT'S MOMMA LUIGI TO YOU, MARIO!" :p

A

Ampersand

@RichHopelessComposer Well I sure hope their strategy isn't similar to Minions... Because I'll take talking Toad and Luigi long before I'll watch an hour and a half of the Mario gang doing bad sight gags.