• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Team Request Lolligirl (designer/pixel artist/writer) looking for a motivated programmer!

Lolligirl

Europe Travel Girl
Who am I?
Hey all! My name is Katie aka Lolligirl (or Etheria#1040 on the GMC Discord servers), and I'm a designer, pixel artist, and writer looking for a programmer to pair up with me on one of my mindchildren, Meylie, a game whereon the assets are already well underway. I can program a reasonable bit in GML, but I find that I do my best work when I'm able to focus primarily on art and design.

For more about who I am, you might remember me from the GMC Jam (I am 13th place in the overall hall of fame after getting 1st place twice and 2nd place once as part of a team with @TheSnidr) if you followed those since a few years ago. After a prolonged hiatus due to moving around the world and then settling in Amsterdam, the Netherlands, and networking with a fair number of game developers here, I recently got into game-making again (and am on my way to learning GMS2 because of it). I'm back. Hey there. :D

Past code for this was done in GMS1 with a programmer who didn't work on it for a long time, so I'm looking for someone else.

My past works
My past works you'd likely know best were mostly made with @TheSnidr. You can see them here. Also, my LinkedIn is here.

The game
Here's the general idea:
(and here's Meylie, by the way)
Gameplay
  • Adventure RPG/dating sim, thus gameplay will be a combination of those elements (think Stardew Valley + Secret of Mana, if it helps? I'm not claiming it's going to be huge/just like them or anything of the sort, just giving you some basis of an idea what it's going towards)
  • AI for many different creature species (e.g. aggro, jumping, retaliation, being thrown back upon being hit, working in groups to surround the player if the species nearby are compatible "pack" types, etc.). In some very loose ways (we're not going to get this complex obviously) inspired by the AI of the creatures in Horizon Zero Dawn (mainly their creature group dynamics) made here in Amsterdam by Guerrilla Games, the largest AAA studio in the Netherlands and of which I know several employees and greatly admire their process
Art
  • For the pixel art I do, characters are done with a style reminiscent of Chrono Trigger, and environments in a style reminiscent of Seiken Densetsu 3
Editor
We'll need a level/map editor. Here are some details for what I'll need in it (I have the temporary one coded by the old programmer that I can show as an example when we speak):
  • Button to have an overlay of the tileset and be able to choose a tile to place from there (currently Space)
  • Button to select and place tiles (currently left-click)
  • Button to delete tiles (currently right-click)
  • Button to toggle between looking at the 100%-zoomed version of the map, and a view of 200% or more (currently Tab)
  • Way to cycle through tile layers (currently mouse scroll wheel)
  • Click-and-drag selection and placement of groups of tiles to make level designing more efficient and less tedious
  • Have an optional overlay view that shows the layer numbers of the current tiles placed in that square (e.g. it would display "1,2" on a square with two tiles where one is on the 1st layer and one is on the 2nd layer)
  • Shift tiles up or down a position
  • Shift tiles up or down a layer
  • Make tiles merge/smoosh when saved to a file, so that no extra space is used, but transparency is kept where needed
  • Reliable saving and loading of data and layers
More game details
  • 16x16 tiles, and there will be animated tiles
  • Protagonist, Meylie, has both a melee (dagger) and a ranged (bow) attack and skills for each, unlocked depending upon her level
  • Will need a dialogue system, including the ability to have answer choices
  • Will need a inventory system (dynamic, not static)
  • Over the course of the story, she gets to know the townspeople better, and they react to her and to each other in different ways depending on her choices and who she becomes friends/flirts with the most
  • Saving is done in specific locations, not just anywhere
Obviously, I'm still working out various bits and bobs for details, but this isn't just a throwaway project. There will be possible gaps where I cannot make something for a bit due to me having another job and other responsibilities, but I will still be working on it. As long as you show me you're still engaged with the project, this same flexibility will obviously also be offered to you. So, one last bit:
  • If you drop out and cannot/will not continue, all of the art and design I contribute to this remains mine, and the game will continue with another programmer.
Pics of game and of me doing my thing

More pics

Important things about you
  • You love making games.
  • You find programming challenges exciting.
  • You preferably use GMS2.
  • You are organized, and you trust yourself to get sh*t done.
  • It's very preferable for you to have played at least one action RPG and one dating simulator (Stardew Valley is a great example) to better interpret the idea of the project.
  • You will not be paid, and neither will I, unless we work well enough together and decide to take it commercially (at which point we'd naturally split anything we'd get). This would obviously require you to remain with me until the completion of the project. However, you should be able to enjoy completing this project whether any money comes from it or not. I cannot stress this enough. I am making this game because it's a game I'd love to play; any money in it should be only an added bonus for you in just the same way.
  • To underline the last point, I understand this will remove a lot of great programmers from the potential pool. I am okay with missing out on some programmers in exchange for no pressure to go commercial unless we make something damn worthy of it. I have time to wait for the right person as I create more art and dialogue.
  • I am taking my time getting to know the people who respond to this offer and who seem viable, so do not expect to get all the assets immediately and start going. We will have conversations first before I decide if you're a good fit. The likely start for this would definitely be sometime after the next GMC Jam (which is late February).
Please show me some examples of things you've coded or games you've worked on in the past. I am looking for a viable long-term programming partner for this, and it is obviously going to be super beneficial if we actually get along, too.

Thanks y'all. Much love. <3

Last edited:
G

Guest User

- How long this project will be?
- How much time should I use to it?

Last edited by a moderator:

Lolligirl

Europe Travel Girl
Still looking for more PMs for now; I've gotten a number of them but I'd really like to chat with more people before choosing for something long-term. ^.^

D

drowned

Interested in working with a studio on a different game?

Lolligirl

Europe Travel Girl
More PMs, puh-lease; I'm getting down to a good pool now but I'd love to stick my head out just a wee bit more to make sure I'm making the right choice of partner. ^.^