Design Level awards for Lunar Lander type game

Jezla

Okay, it's time to seek out advice/opinions.

I'm making a Lunar Lander type game and I'm including awards for meeting certain objectives on each level. So far I have:

Bronze, Silver, and Gold medals: awarded for meeting certain score thresholds
Precision medal: awarded for a precision landing
Perseverance medal: completing the level after more than 20 attempts.

I'm sure you can see my problem. I realized that the perseverance award is meaningless because a player can just crash 21 times, then land and get the award, so it doesn't feel like it's rewarding anything. I think 5 awards is a good number, but I'd like ideas about replacing the perseverance award.

Has anyone seen any examples of level awards for this type of game? What might be a good replacement?

Genetix

Keep it - ironic awards, or those that reward a player for playing bad are fun and still make them feel rewarded!

HayManMarc

Speed award - landing very quickly.
Close call award - avoiding a disaster.
Fuel conservation award - using very little fuel for a landing.
Stunt flyer award - performing acrobatics with the lander before landing. :p
Low visibility award - landing in darkness.
Ace pilot award - landing on a very hard to reach pad (in a cave or canyon or surrounded by hazards).

NeoShade

Why not keep the perseverance award, but also have an award for getting the landing on the first or first few tries. Make the perseverance award with less points, so a player would be better off getting the landing quickly.

Jezla

Why not keep the perseverance award, but also have an award for getting the landing on the first or first few tries. Make the perseverance award with less points, so a player would be better off getting the landing quickly.
That's good. Maybe the gold medal requirement is "score x points on the first try" instead of just "score x points". These are all good ideas, folks. Thanks!

C

CongoBongo

How about a 'Natural Born Engineer' award for getting it right the first time?