• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

How Do You Focus?

slojanko

This is all coming straight from me.

For the past year I've been having a really hard time focusing on anything. I can't study properly, I often forget things that should in no way be forgotten, I spend most of my time online.
The stress I get from my University is getting to me. I dive into all the books and study material given to me yet the grades don't reflect my work especially when it comes to the theory I'm required to know to pass a subject. Maybe the curriculum wasn't what I expected or it's something just wrong with me.
Even though my grades fell my thoughts on them were "meh" at best if I actually understand what I'm doing and just had a bad exam day or an absurd amount of understanding of the subject was required.

The semester just ended and I finally have some free time to clear my head and figure out what I'm actually doing with my life.

Does anyone have any similar experiences and/or knows how to deal with it? I don't want people to look at me as if I'm incapable of copping with stuff.

F

Flappy Dappy Games

@slojanko One thing you can do is look at your diet. Sometimes a healthier diet can make a big difference in your ability to focus. If you are not getting adequate nutrition or eating junk food regularly than this can play a big role in how well you are able to focus.

slojanko

I don't unfortunately. :(

My attention span is sporadic at best. Makes it a turd to code.
My best times programming are when I'm able to prototype at my own free will without anyone telling me what to do. It's relaxing.

I guess it would help if I learned how to study, ironic.

@slojanko One thing you can do is look at your diet. Sometimes a healthier diet can make a big difference in your ability to focus. If you are not getting adequate nutrition or eating junk food regularly than this can play a big role in how well you are able to focus.
That's very likely. I'm stressed and don't want to waste time on preparing my own food or going out to healthier restaurants so I go to what's nearest to me: junk food for students.

I have AD. Its harder for me.
How do you cope with it? You seem to be doing well from what I've seen you've been up to on GMC.

I struggle with focusing, too. What do I do? I reward myself when I reach a milestone. So, I may start by creating a list of things I want/need to do. The list, believe it or not, helps me to focus. This list can have some pretty simple things on it, too - not just hard, complex tasks. Then I start working through my list. As I accomplish a task on my list, no matter how small, I cross it off. As I see each item crossed off, I start to feel a sense of accomplishment and start to feel motivated to move on to the next task! I also plan a reward when I get to a certain point on my list. This could be playing a game I've wanted to play, watching a TV show or movie, etc. This way I don't feel guilty for "wasting my time". Instead, it's a reward and a well deserved on at that!

L

Lonewolff

My best times programming are when I'm able to prototype at my own free will without anyone telling me what to do. It's relaxing.
This sounds like me also. If I am trying to create something new, I can spend hours and hours solving problems and the task at hand. Once I get to about 80% competed, I have then seen behind 'the curtain' and the mystery and coolness wears off quick after that.

So then on to the next challenge.

That's why I have 10 HDD's full of awesome almost finished 'tech demo' type things and nothing that is actually completed.

K

Kobold

My Bank Account keeps me focussed.... it says "now that you have spent a lot of money, you better make it happen and pull through." ...I am so screwed.

edit: ...nah, I like it... always do, always will

Last edited:
A

Ampersand

My Bank Account keeps me focussed.... it says "now that you have spent a lot of money, you better make it happen and pull through." ...I am so screwed.

edit: ...nah, I like it... always do, always will
Necessity drives creation, so this is always a fun gamble. I've always been the type that has no drive until the deadline is set and there's expectations to be met, so I'm right there with you.

P

PocketMystic

ADHD person reporting in.

Try reading productivity articles, maybe try out some applications like Habitica or Forest: Stay focused, maybe even join some sort of discussion somewhere where they talk about strategies.
I think the key is to stay engaged. If you are engaged in what you are trying to do by reading, learning, discussing, planning, tracking, etc., then it's much more likely you will be able to stay on what you're trying to accomplish.
But it's also important to make sure that what you're doing is interesting to you, or makes you happy. If neither of those conditions are met, then you may not able to become truly productive.

That's my 2 cents, anyway.

K

Kobold

Necessity drives creation, so this is always a fun gamble. I've always been the type that has no drive until the deadline is set and there's expectations to be met, so I'm right there with you.
exactly. exactly that.

...the set deadline. I have calculated for this given me 2 years .. and there's this directory that is making sure I am always being reminded on that I am no longer a free person, haha

L

Lonewolff

exactly. exactly that.

...the set deadline. I have calculated for this given me 2 years .. and there's this directory that is making sure I am always being reminded on that I am no longer a free person, haha
Geez dude! You are organised! Very nice! :)

Z

zendraw

exactly. exactly that.

so when do you have time to be creative? to enjoy ur work? ... this seems more like an imprisonment then anything id suggest to any1.

K

Kobold

so when do you have time to be creative? to enjoy ur work? ... this seems more like an imprisonment then anything id suggest to any1.
...haha... yeah... in a way.
I don't really see it as a problem...though. In fact it is more helpful than anything else. And believe it or not, the folder made me enjoy my project as I have realized that when sorting and planning things properly things start making sense and keep me focussed... this case may only apply to myself though.
I enjoy what I do... I just have a weird way of expressing it sometimes .....If that makes any sense.

M

Misu

How do you cope with it? You seem to be doing well from what I've seen you've been up to on GMC.
Therapy during childhood. I gotten major improvements after rehabilitating but I still get into limbo a few times. You may not notice it through internet posts obviously

A

AnonyMouse

For me it is hard too. It depends on many things and most of them are against that. The worst place is in my job where it is very noisy and because of my job I have the habit to listen to everything and women there are nonstop talking (loudly) any kind of nonsense and I have the desire to throw them through the window...

H

HammerOn

I schedule everything in apps like Google Calendar. I have to give a specific start and end hour for what I do otherwise I keep going in circles. I have managed to practice instruments, study languages and do work every day and still have free time after evening.
Practices and studies are a 1-hour session per item as early as possible. It's hard to learn things when you are tired (doing it too late or overdoing it).
As for work, I'm sure the main reason I could be a full-time freelance and have years-long clients it's because I hardly miss deadlines or forget work. You can't trust memory! Take notes of everything as soon as they say it and scheduled everything as soon you know you have to do it.
I also write it down as soon as I notice that I have to buy something or go somewhere so I do all them in one go.

Aren't you focus issue just a matter of forgetting tasks, getting tired overdoing it or going in circles rather than will or commitment? I could lazy around for the last 20 minutes of each of my sessions and still improve because I'm starting it every day.

Z

zendraw

i think this inability to focus is becus ppl are lonely and they just constantly want to be loved or smthing.

T

Thunder Lion

As a person whom is currently employed, has bills and also goes to school 4 days out the week, I can say prober eating (real meals, real snacks, proper hydration preferably water), rest (sleep, naps, quite time) and a heart racing dose of activity is vital to work at your most optimal. Often times we feel "sluggish" or easily anxious because we don't provide the core of our needs. We are physical beings, this includes our brains which is very much effected by the affects of these natural elements. Once your mind and body are given their core needs, you now can better make decisions and take responsability because your "stress load" is reduced. Going beyond your stress load causes us to drift toward easy and unproductive things e.g. watching tv, video games etc. this isnt an issue doring periods of rest but is not so much when your in need to learn, master and commit to a set of responsibilities. We often take too much free time to do worthless things as compared to our immediate and near responsibilities. In fact taking days out your week to actually focus on applying yourself to specific task in timely brackets say for example wednesday study math and do math homework, clean up room and prepare for tomorrows day and get to bed (this after a work or school day), will allow you to better utilise your "destressors" in a way that does not cause you stress because you procrastinated.

If you have an essay to write, start writing your name the proper header and title and make your first sentence and keep writing. After awhile begin to review it and make adjustments appropriate to the assignment. Same with math and other homework. I personally ask my teachers for clarity on my assignments and task i need to keep with. Sometimes its reading a chapter, doing this paper, reviewing this information and so on. This helps me feel like i have a direction and goal to go after.

Regarding sleep, basically it depends when you get home from school or work, if your fortunate to go to school until say 3 or 5 you can get home do some studying, start homework, and get ready for tomorrow morning and go to bed at a timely manner say 8pm, getting up early also helps you feel more leveled as we are not optimal first thing we wake up so giving yourself a 2 to 3 hour window before dispatch is a great goal, getting into school a half hour early (if thats realistic) is a great goal. I have my own car and have no responsibility toward anyone but my self normally so this helps a lot. But don't let responsibility ever get in the way of bettering yourself (realistically, dont make up mind stories and procrastinate from actually applying what can really be done).

Also i advise if you are not in a relationship, don't start one! I knoe this could potentiate you losing a potential mate but again its not a gamble that is worth it if you are sensitive to loss, easily distracted by romance, have a stressful partner or if it will prevent you from being able to succeed, if your the jealous type stay away!

I could keep going!

T

Thunder Lion

i think this inability to focus is becus ppl are lonely and they just constantly want to be loved or smthing.
Id agree to a point, sometimes we have minor stresses that overall make us out of focus. We want friends, romance, good family connections and general social success. But i feel being online a lot doesnt help.