• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

GMC Jam Discussion The Post-Apocalyptic GMC Jam #1 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

zircher

Because new forum is new, when everyone says 'private message' do they actually mean 'start a conversation'?

M

Morne

This may or may not be our games title: " Stranded In No Man's Ski "

Nallebeorn

Oooo, themes! Now what do I choose.... :lem?:
I actually have one (quite vague, so far) idea, which actually incorporates all the themes (or at least two of them).

When does the theme-voting period end?

EDIT: @zircher Yeah, they do. They might be called conversations now, but in the hearts of the old GMCers, they'll always be Private Messages. :potato:

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
The theme-voting period ends right at the moment when the Jam begins, though technically speaking it's a few minutes before so that I can have time to count up the votes.

M

MikeDark_x

Mmh, idk about Everybody Is Dead... it feels too "zombie" for me, but I guess it could be twisted.

Replay is pretty okay but kinda already done, and Transition just doesn't ring any bell :/

We'll see, we'll see.
Indeed Everyone is dead sounds a bit "Zombie", although you can give it a few twists, ghosts, it's set in the afterlife, and so on

T

Tango

Indeed Everyone is dead sounds a bit "Zombie", although you can give it a few twists, ghosts, it's set in the afterlife, and so on
"Everyone is dead" don't must necessary be related with zombies. What if, for example, a big bomb exploded the entire planet and for luck you was the only one who survived? It depends very much on how you interpret the theme.

M

MikeDark_x

"Everyone is dead" don't must necessary be related with zombies. What if, for example, a big bomb exploded the entire planet and for luck you was the only one who survived? It depends very much on how you interpret the theme.
That's what I meant, it's not 100% zombie related, it sounds related but there's a lot of space to play

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
The Jam is so close now, I don't know if I can take these next 32 hours.
I've missed you, GMC Jam.
It's 20 hours, actually. When in doubt, use the countdown clock!

This Jam is shifted by 12 hours in relation to previous timeframes, so that timezones between -12 and +12 GMT get full weekend of quality Jamming time.

A

A T

And thus, the theme voting officially begins!

To vote, please choose the theme you like the most, and send me a private message on GMC with that theme.

Tomorrow, the voting will be over, the winning theme will be announced, and the Jam will officially start!
Yup, spam Alice with PMs.

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Yes, that's the method. In case of theme voting it's even more important to keep it outside the main topic, otherwise people would be able to make really strong educated guesses about what theme is winning based on everyone announcing their favourites.

R

rui.rosario

Yes, that's the method. In case of theme voting it's even more important to keep it outside the main topic, otherwise people would be able to make really strong educated guesses about what theme is winning based on everyone announcing their favourites.
Couldn't there be some sort of poll without the results being displayed after voting? It would make your life a lot easier

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
. . .

You know, it actually *is* possible to do; a poll can be set up where people can't see the results until the poll ends.

Gotta remember that for the next Jam, though. Right at the moment, I've already got quite a lot of PMs, and now it would be just messy to change the voting method in the middle, then merge the poll results with PM results. I bet people would get pretty confused, too. ^^'

Either way, thanks for the suggestion, I kinda forgot that something like polls exists. Probably because they aren't really used around here...

Mercerenies

I'm reasonably certain it's EVERYBODY IS DEAD. Everyone here is talking about that one and almost nobody about the others. I would bet dollars to jelly filled donuts that's the end result.

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
You can open a profile preview, and next to the "Profile Page" link there's "Start a Conversation".

You can go into my profile, and from there go to Information tab, then there's some "Start a Conversation" link around.

Or you can just click this link. It'll be probably the quickest way.

The M

I'm torn. I have a decent idea involving zombies for the end of the world theme. It's interesting but it's zombies. On the other hand I've got (possibly less interesting) ideas for the other themes as well. Hmm, decisions decisions...

Z

zircher

Decisions, decisions. My poor brain loves/hates me. I now have three very playable ideas to craft depending on which theme wins the vote. But, I know my brain won't stop designing on the other two. Woe is me. :)

[Funny! I wrote up my post before seeing The M's post. Great minds think alike.]

N

Nexusrex

Damn..I've got a playable idea for the theme "Everybody is dead" but i guess i won't make a normal game in time (Aka it will be very short, like..3 levels)..A not-bad idea for "Transition"..And nothing for restart. xD

N

NightOwl35

I have an interest in participating in this! Been quite awhile since I've actually done anything in Game Maker in quite some time, but have had an interest in getting back into it. What better way than to jump into a game jam? Had tons of fun in the last one I participated in, even though I didn't do too well. Got to say, I've got ideas for all three themes, though I am really loving two of them specifically!

ghandpivot

a poll can be set up where people can't see the results until the poll ends.
Just be careful. In polls people will be able to vote from all their devices/accounts and polls can easily be manipulated. I'm not saying someone's actually silly enough to do so, but it feels like the people who actually send a Private Message are more likely to also attend the Jam, thus reducing the influence of those who dont.

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Can I write some sort of script now? I sorta have an idea that incorporates all three! :3
That sort of thing wouldn't be particularly in the spirit of the Jam. All Jam-specific code should be made within the Jam timeframe. You can't really stop brainstorming or anything, but actually writing code or making assets is kinda too much, if it's not something available to other participants as well.

M

MikeDark_x

I can expect a lot of zombie games... well using mainly undead for a short rpg would be good... however... hmmm an horror game in which everyone in a building suddenly died of unknown reasons and the protagonist is forced to survive in a hellish scenary all in the while running away from an insane shapeless monster that might or might not be behind the next door... wait... that appeared as I was writting... sounds nice thought... a bit niche but still it's a decent story... only on it's bones thought... a good backstory would be required...

Sorry for the accidental brainstorming...

That sort of thing wouldn't be particularly in the spirit of the Jam. All Jam-specific code should be made within the Jam timeframe. You can't really stop brainstorming or anything, but actually writing code or making assets is kinda too much, if it's not something available to other participants as well.
I can't really see how making assets would be too much, I mean what are the odds that the assets you are making are going to fit with the specified theme?... or in the same case what if you're writting a script that you can't really use?

Can I write some sort of script now? I sorta have an idea that incorporates all three! :3
I just figured a way to use all 3 in the same game just now... not going to go deeper till the day 0...

cdgamedev

Oh haha. I dont mean code xD. I mean like a story script, like a movie script. But I guess that sorta counts as an asset in some way.

The M

I'm knee deep in coding. I realized my old review tool isn't attuned to the new jam form, (with the handicap gone, mostly). Might as well update some of its other aspects while I'm at it. Still hasn't decided for a theme to choose though...

Mercerenies

Just be careful. In polls people will be able to vote from all their devices/accounts and polls can easily be manipulated. I'm not saying someone's actually silly enough to do so, but it feels like the people who actually send a Private Message are more likely to also attend the Jam, thus reducing the influence of those who dont.
A young super villain somewhere strokes his mustache maniacally. "I could single handedly take over the theme of a 72 hour game development contest, thereby taking a small amount of control over the minds of fifty something young adults, forcing them to make a game about it! Mwahahahaha!"

cdgamedev

Could you not just implement it into the forum though? That way you'd require a GMC account and have full control over whether it was shown or not and who could vote

Sammi3

So making concept art for the three different themes doesn't cross the line? Would you consider it part of brainstorming?

S

Snail Man

Hmm... I have some ideas for some themes, but I have little time so some pre planning might be in order

Well I didn't know the Jam was coming so soon :eek:
Although, after reading through the topics and possible themes, I'm getting excited just like old times! I can't wait to give it my all to end up with a piece of trash after 72 hours once again. It's been a while since I've done any game dev at all, so this will be pretty interesting. And hopefully it will be a fun experience just like these GMC Jams always provide!

M

Miner7365

#JAMHYPE

Anyways, I have a idea that covers two of the themes, i'm going to be entering, so as they say, may the best coder win.

RekNepZ

GMC Historian
I'm really not a fan of Everyone is Dead. Sure, it may sound like a fun theme to work with, but I feel that it's to specific to certain genres and almost requires a storyline I really hate doing stories in my games. I usually just try to squeeze them in at the end if I have time. The other choices have plenty of ways you could incorporate them into the gameplay itself, but EID only really gives two easy possibilities (that I can think of, at least).
-Generic zombie/other undead shoot-em-up.
-Adventure game where all the characters are Monster-High style "dead" creatures.

I'm probably being a little narrow-minded here, but I do see some severe problems in variety with EID. I know the Jams are supposed to be challenging, but it's also good to have plenty of wiggle-room to make the type of game we want (that's even why the handicap was removed). EID is really less of a theme than it is a handicap. Instead of setting a general mood or "theme", this one pretty much tells you what a good part of the game is supposed to be.

Because of this, the theme I'm voting for is Transition. While I like Replay, it feels too similar to the Memories theme we had a while back and has similar handicapping issues. Transition, while sounding rigid at first, actually has a lot of possibilities. It's a very flexible word that encompasses many different "sub-themes". To name a few, you can interpret Transition as Change, Entrance, Growth, or many others. It's a very good theme and it's a shame that it will likely be overshadowed by the eye-catching, but inflexible in practice Everyone Is Dead.

Mercerenies

I'm really not a fan of Everyone is Dead. Sure, it may sound like a fun theme to work with, but I feel that it's to specific to certain genres and almost requires a storyline I really hate doing stories in my games. I usually just try to squeeze them in at the end if I have time. The other choices have plenty of ways you could incorporate them into the gameplay itself, but EID only really gives two easy possibilities (that I can think of, at least).
-Adventure game where all the characters are Monster-High style "dead" creatures.
I get what you're saying, but I'm really hoping to see more creativity than that. In the Cold War Jam, there are tons of very basic "war involving freeze ray" types of games (mine included, to some extent), but then there were also some really interesting espionage-style games. EID will produce plenty of silly zombie/post-apocalypse games, but those certainly won't fare well, especially in my ratings.

There are a lot of other ways to go. For example, a detective-ish game figuring out why everyone is dead. Or perhaps you wake up one morning and find that your touch kills people and decide to use it to bring justice to the world, Kira-style. If you want a happy ending, make it all be a dream that you have to escape from. Or for a sillier game, have an over-the-top antagonist who works for Everyone Is Dead, Inc. and wants to build a death ray. There are a lot of ways to go without resorting to the zombie trope.

S

Sirham

I'm probably being a little narrow-minded here, but I do see some severe problems in variety with EID. I know the Jams are supposed to be challenging, but it's also good to have plenty of wiggle-room to make the type of game we want (that's even why the handicap was removed). EID is really less of a theme than it is a handicap. Instead of setting a general mood or "theme", this one pretty much tells you what a good part of the game is supposed to be.

Because of this, the theme I'm voting for is Transition. While I like Replay, it feels too similar to the Memories theme we had a while back and has similar handicapping issues. Transition, while sounding rigid at first, actually has a lot of possibilities. It's a very flexible word that encompasses many different "sub-themes". To name a few, you can interpret Transition as Change, Entrance, Growth, or many others. It's a very good theme and it's a shame that it will likely be overshadowed by the eye-catching, but inflexible in practice Everyone Is Dead.
This. This is exactly what I was thinking when I saw the three themes. That's why I voted for Replay.

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
The Jam is getting closer, and in the meantime, I've been busy writing a handy application to streamline the playing and reviewing process. One of its key features is randomisation, and another an ability to play the games without needing to enter the directories (the old method of randomization ended up with a mess in the Jam folder). I will still include the former randomiser in the Jam ZIP (for the sake of compatibility, as well as in case some people will prefer sticking to the old, proven ways), but I plan to default to the new Jam player application.

If you would like to play around with it while waiting the Jam, you can get it here. It requires .NET framework 4.0 or higher to run; there's a good chance you already have it installed, and if not, you can find it here.
The jamdata file is based on GMC Jam 21, and thus the whole ZIP content should be unpacked where the GMC Jam 21 games folders are. If you don't have GMC Jam 21 games, but would like to, here it is.

Hope you'll like it. ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.