- Added health
- Added some new tools
- Added a pause menu
- Added treasure chests
- Added multiplayer
- Added music
- Finish line/ match end

Story
Hopemans live peacefully in the depths of their world, until some day, something bad happens. While Blumber (the only hopeman who isn't afraid of water) is in the shower, the water starts to raise. And hopemans don't like water! The only thing they can do is leave their homes and escape!
World
The world where hopemans live is a strange planet. There is not much water in the planets surface, but the center of the planet is full of water. There are many different landscapes. Greenish forests, snowy hills, hot places with lava... But hopemans are only familiar with the underground world...

Hopemans
Hopemans are creatures that live in the planet of hopemans. They are very persistent creatures who fight for what they love.
Hopemans are divided in to different clans. Red, Blue, Yellow and Green. Usually they are enemies of each other.

Gameplay and game modes

Here is an early gameplay video:

Escape mode
In the escape mode the goal is just escape the water and get to the goal before other players. You can prevent other players from winning by using many tools. And with the help of the tools you can progress faster and reach the goal before others.

Deathmach
In the deathmach mode the water is not your main focus. Now you just have to get rid of all the other players, so you can live in peace and... escape in peace... Use a large variety of dangerous tools and blow the others to the skies!

Campaign

In the campaign mode there is a big world with many levels to beat. There is a story and world map. This mode is only in single player.

And... You can play alone or with some friends! (Only escape mode and campaign have single player)

Singleplayer

You control 2 hopemans. Use different tools and help each other of you to get to the safety before you drown. Because in single player mode the water raises faster!

Multiplayer
There can be up to 4 players. All of them have a team of 2 hopemans. They can try to prevent other players from winning.

Tools
Players can use many different tools that help them to escape. These tools can be used currently (you can suggest more):
  • Dynamite
  • Bomb
  • Hopebomb
  • Missile
  • Jetpack
  • Ladder
  • Shovel
  • Grappling hook
  • Teleporter
  • Videogame
  • Health potion
  • Lifebuoy
  • Snorkel
  • Rain dance
  • Water gun

Work in progress - Approximately 60% Done
Finished
  • Singleplayer mode
  • Water
  • Auto-tiling
  • Pause menu
  • 15 Tools
  • Treasure chests
  • Multiplayer mode
  • Finish line
Now working on
  • Menu system
  • Animations and better graphics
  • Levels
What is left?
  • World map
  • Puzzle elements
  • Better effects
  • Story
  • Online multiplayer (It is not yet certain whether this will be in the game).
Here are some screenshots:
SS2.png
snowy world.png
SS3.png
SS4.png

Follow me or this post to get to know when new updates come.

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Flyinglegends_

As this game is in very early state any suggestions and ideas are very appreciated.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Guest User

The water is raising! There is now water! I will make it look better, but this is what it looks like now.

- Added water

F

FROGANUS

reminds me of worms. good title to draw inspiration from.

is it just deathmatch or is there a different style of gameplay/rules that you have in mind?
some kind of race and/or king of the hill style rules might be cool
(like get to and hold the high ground before the water rises).
btw, do these guys even care abt the water? they seem able to breath in it, lol.

some basic additions i think could help a lot
(basically cosmetic stuff that you probably already have in mind):
-menu and hud with a clean consistent style
-autotiling to give your walls textured edges that change/'update' when the rocks explode
-sprites to better indicate the magnitude of explosions
(the explostion sprite seems a bit wimpy compared to the amount of rock it destroys)
maybe have the destroyed walls flash white for a few frames or drop particles when they disappear?

with a little polish you could probably round out a worms-like game that could be pretty nice.

sorry if this is nitpicky or 'off-base' not having tried the game.
i'll keep an eye out for updates, keep up the good work!

G

Guest User

Wow! Thanks for the ideas and feedback! About the gameplay, I thought that the players have to reach some point or goal before the others and at the same time, escape the water and try to prevent others to get to the goal. Or something like that. And those guys shouldn't be able to breath in the water. They should die in the water. I just haven't programmed it yet. ; )

That autotiling thing is a good idea. I indeed should do that, when I have time. And I will make the explosions better.

Thanks again for the feedback and interest in my game!

G

Guest User

Now the players lose health in the water. But they can use the new tool: snorkel!
Added other tools too.

G

Guest User

Added a water speed meter. It shows how fast the water is raising. And it increases all the time!

Z

Zombie

Looks interesting, specially after the water meter update.

Maybe you can add -
Chest to collect items from
Underwater chests found on snorkeling
Hidden random chests which only come in light after explosion (chests dug underground).

Will be able to comment more when i can play a demo :)

G

Guest User

Looks interesting, specially after the water meter update.

Maybe you can add -
Chest to collect items from
Underwater chests found on snorkeling
Hidden random chests which only come in light after explosion (chests dug underground).

Will be able to comment more when i can play a demo :)
I'm glad you like it. I have thought about adding chests with items. But I don't know what kind of items they have. Power-ups? Money? Or maybe only collectable items?
And thanks for the idea of chest dug underground. I hope that I can release a demo soon. But I don't know yet when I can do it. ;)

good progress :)
Thanks! :)

A

Alexo342

Looks like a game with a lot of potential! I just don´t understand how you did the water physics. Could you give me a link or explain how you did that?

A

Alexo342

Thanks! I used this marketplace asset to do the waters physics: https://marketplace.yoyogames.com/assets/4795/water-physics-gms-1-and-2
;)
I see. Wanna check out my game too? I just made a level containing water, but it is self-made water and not that awesome. At least it has got some tides. You can find it on my newest version (V 0.08). 1: Download and start the game 2: Press SHIFT+L on the map to unlock all levels instantly 3: Click the leftmost green level symbol and enjoy. Of course you can try out the rest of the game and give me feedback as i am still developing it. Have fun!

G

Guest User

I see. Wanna check out my game too? I just made a level containing water, but it is self-made water and not that awesome. At least it has got some tides. You can find it on my newest version (V 0.08). 1: Download and start the game 2: Press SHIFT+L on the map to unlock all levels instantly 3: Click the leftmost green level symbol and enjoy. Of course you can try out the rest of the game and give me feedback as i am still developing it. Have fun!
I tried your game and gave some feedback. https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.p...e-bunchie-go-free-download.41669/#post-256372 :)

G

Guest User

I edited the first post. I added more information and made it more organized. :D

D

Deleted member 467

Game Looks pretty nice, commenting so I remember to play it later and give feedback

I added a pause menu. Do you like the design?
I like the movement and the simple style of it. Is it really a pause menu though when it doesn't seem to pause the game? Only asking as I can still see the player animating, and the timer(?) on the top-right of the screen is still counting down. Not sure if that is intentional, or if you just haven't gotten to do those bits yet.
But overall, looking good so far.

G

Guest User

Game Looks pretty nice, commenting so I remember to play it later and give feedback
Thanks!
I like the movement and the simple style of it. Is it really a pause menu though when it doesn't seem to pause the game? Only asking as I can still see the player animating, and the timer(?) on the top-right of the screen is still counting down. Not sure if that is intentional, or if you just haven't gotten to do those bits yet.
But overall, looking good so far.
Yes it should stop everything, I just hadn't programmed it yet when I recorded the video. = ) And thanks!

G

Guest User

Did you get stuck McMason? You can cut the rope pressing left mouse button! He still needs to practice using the grappling hook... o_O
Now the players hold the items in their hands.

G

Guest User

If you have some time, use your shovel to find treasure chests! They have more tools!
Also, added "notifications".

If the numbers that show how many tools are left are distracting, tell me.

G

Guest User

New tool: Water gun!
I have finished the 15 main tools. But I have so many ideas for new tools that I will add many more when the game is finished.

G

Guest User

Added a goal flag.

Also, I have a question for you: When the game should end in escape mode?

A. When the first gets to the goal. (This would be the easiest for me.)
B. When everyone has reached the goal or died.
C. When at least 1 from every team has reached the goal.

Thanks in advance of your responses.

G

Guest User

Trying to do some kind of end to a match. The layout needs a lot of improvements, but the basic mechanism is done.

G

Guest User

The snow world has been discovered. :cool: And demo is coming soon! :cool: I just need to fix some bugs:eek:, make some levels and some other things.

snowy world.png

:rolleyes:

G

Guest User

I'm stuck making this game. My motivation is fading out as the gameplay decomposes in my hands...

Would it be too bad if I dropped out the escape mode and make this just a fighting game? Even if the game is named "water escape"?

Now as i'm writing this I got this idea. Maybe the game should have just one game mode, where the players have to eliminate:eek: others and at the same time the water rises, but slowly...

What do you think? Any thoughts about this?

F

FROGANUS

Hey its looking good. Always a good idea to narrow your scope down in order to push towards a good-feeling demo product. Maybe your first demo can just be elimination mode if that's easiest for you? (you can always add other modes later)

Also, when I get stuck on a game, I usually just work on one of my other projects.
Maybe meantime you could try some tutorial projects for ideas, or perhaps a simpler 1player version of what you have going here, so you can do a little player animation and movement polish or something, essentially create a simple testing box for what you could apply to this project later..

just some motivational ideas..
Keep it up!

G

Guest User

Hey its looking good. Always a good idea to narrow your scope down in order to push towards a good-feeling demo product. Maybe your first demo can just be elimination mode if that's easiest for you? (you can always add other modes later)

Also, when I get stuck on a game, I usually just work on one of my other projects.
Maybe meantime you could try some tutorial projects for ideas, or perhaps a simpler 1player version of what you have going here, so you can do a little player animation and movement polish or something, essentially create a simple testing box for what you could apply to this project later..

just some motivational ideas..
Keep it up!
Hey, thanks for the good ideas. I have been working on a side-project and at the same time thinking what I could do to this game. Slowly I'm getting a better idea of what the gameplay could be. I might make it simpler at first and then expand things. ;)