• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Discussion Do people you know support your games?

T

Thunder Lion

Hey guys how receptive are your friends and family toward your making games?
Personally I've had friends and family react like thats cool and that was it. No one really took care about it. I would say it was not a negative experience however more of a "i feel like a nerd now" or "i feel like they think im wasting time". Personally I really want to make games but I admit I have other desires and I'm generally disfocused because I want so much. I mean I can do everything but I feel overwhelmed with procrastinating anxiety.

Last edited by a moderator:
Almost all of my friends and family thought I was wasting my time almost my whole life. They all started making fun of me less about a year ago, and now they're all saying "hurry up and get rich!" at me. From zero to a hundred percent support in a year. :'D

My brother and girlfriend have always had my back, though. =)

Anyway, if everyone thinks you're wasting your time, prove them wrong, or prove them right. Don't let what others think of you dictate what you do, though. If you believe in yourself, keep working!

L

Lonewolff

I have a few cool people who have been supporting my main project. Even revered icons of the 80's like Matt Gray (Last Ninja 2). Sadly I don't have the urge to work on it much these days. Maybe one day.

H

HammerOn

I don't think most of them understand what I do. I'm not sure if it can be called support but when they see I'm doing well, they don't worry about it.

No one really took care about it. I would say it was not a negative experience however more of a "i feel like a nerd now" or "i feel like they think im wasting time".
Anything outside of our personal little world can feel like a waste of time. We can only have a superficial impression of what we are not involved with. For the people involved with it, however, it's interesting and fulfilling.
For example, I don't have interest in cycling and didn't understand why they spend so much time and money doing it. But when I went to a bike shop I saw and heard a lot of people coming in and out talking enthusiastically about the next competitions, new gears, training routines, etc. I entered their world for only an hour but it was enough to make me understand that it meant a lot to them. I'm still not interested in cycling but I moved from an "I don't get it" to "I respect it" mindset.
Because of this, I find that it's important to be surrounded by people of your field of interest. You compete, share knowledge and experience, and grow and/or get fun together. You are crazy for everyone else and can even get dragged down by worried family or friends because they don't understand what you are doing.

And sometimes you are just too self-conscious. When you trip on the street its an embarrassment for you and you get anxious about the people's reaction but there is no reason to care about it. They can laugh but they aren't thinking anything in particular. It means little to nothing for them.

K

Kobold

...I usually get this sorta reaction:

edit: ...and it's not about being funny. It's just a really common thing that people who ask me about my hobbies and I say one sentence they are completely lost... since I live at the Sunshine Coast where people aren't as tech savvy, as compared to in Down-Town Vancouver, where when I would talk about this, they all would start getting into it right away to a point where I would seek the quickest escape route out.
Example, I was standing at A&W's NorthVancouver and the cashier goes like: "is this the 3D software" and points at my Blender shirt... I say yes and all of a sudden he ended up talking about how awesome substance painter makes 10 different textures all applied to one mesh...
...I mean, you can see the contrasts here... If I wanted to talk about something interesting here in my town ...it would need to be something as sophisticated as how one drills a hole into a muffler without the police noticing.

So the support in my rows is rather simple... but better than getting a pitchfork and a torch waved at.

I love my town, haha

Last edited:

Niels

strangely enough If I say I do graphics for indie games I usually get more positve response than when I say I code indie games...

But I Always had the reputation of "the one being addicted to playing videogames" in my family, so I don't think people are that shocked when I tell them my passion is making games.

I haven't even mentioned it to my family. My parents support the fact that I'm a full-time college student with a part-time job, and I don't want to cultivate the impression that I'm wasting my time with something unproductive.

I've told a couple coworkers, and they think it's pretty cool. I generally don't talk about it much, though.

M

Mihaugoku

My classmates saw me code once, and they were quite interested. My family on the other hand is rather skeptical about this.. They think it's just a waste of time. I really want to prove them wrong >.<