• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

GameMaker Have you *officially* moved over to GM2 yet?

M

Misu

I am still with GMS 1.4 just because Im still not happy with the room editor in GMS2. I still cant get used to it and it made my progress tougher and slower for my type of coordinations. Eventually I will have to move over to GMS2 since GMS 1.4 will die this summer and its a mandatory action then to move onwards. I am only using GMS2 for building my future extension but thats pretty much it. I still use GMS 1.4 for its easy to manage room editor... and also I have to finish my projects in them. Porting is just not a good result for them.

Lioran

I hate the window interface of 2.0, i dont know why they are locked like they are, i tried to look for an option to change that but couldnt find it.
I don't know why they made their own window interface rather then using the OS one.
Do they have tile_add() equivalent yet?... definitely no deal without that for me.

COWCAT

Still using 1.4, mostly because I got used to it over the years and I like stability. I do have a 2.0 licence, but I've noticed my games (with the exact same code) are much more taxing to the GPU than 1.4, especially for old GPUs - which is a bummer! Maybe due to the switch to Direct X 11?

I'm still making games for the Vita and it's not possible with 2.0. Also, I prefer to wait until it's perfectly stable, especially when it comes to the console exports.

I'll probably switch when there'll be a... Switch export :p (Come on! With Vita support dropped unfortunately, it's the perfect console for indies now! :D)

Dr. Wolf

Nope. I have both, but I strongly dislike the UI of 2.0. Even after hours of tweaking the preferences, 2.0 still insists on fighting my every effort to organize windows and other screen components the way I need to have them in order to see what I need to see. It's bad enough that, when 1.4 can no longer spit out something that will run on a modern system, I'll have to give serious thought about whether I want to move over to 2.0 or adopt a different engine entirely.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Every time I've tried to do something serious in GMS2 I've run into problems with buggy or clunky interfaces (or sometimes the manual not explaining what something is in a legible way, such as the differences between tiles and tilemaps and tilesets). Right now, I make everything in GMS1, because it's not obviously still a beta, and in the final step, I import the source file in GMS2 and then compile the game in it.

In particular, I feel the new tile system is useless to me as long as there's no way to add metadata to individual building blocks, so you can't tell what tile type a tile is (and e.g. treat slopes differently collision-wise, and such). Placing invisible objects for the dynamics and then placing tiles for the graphics just doubles your workload, so you might as well only place objects. And now since it's much harder to place tiles programmatically, it's much harder to automatically tile the room based on the objects.

andev

Placing invisible objects for the dynamics and then placing tiles for the graphics just doubles your workload, so you might as well only place objects
Well no, drawing tiles is still way faster than using draw_sprite, but I agree with everything else you're saying.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Well no, drawing tiles is still way faster than using draw_sprite, but I agree with everything else you're saying.
I'm talking about the editor here, not the CPU or GPU load. Drawing a whole level twice is twice the work, no matter how fast the game handles it once it's up and running.

Dr. Wolf

Right now, I make everything in GMS1, because it's not obviously still a beta, and in the final step, I import the source file in GMS2 and then compile the game in it.
How much work do you (usually) find you have to do for the final step? I tested the GMS2 auto-import function with five different GMS1 projects, and all of them demonstrated problems (of greater or lesser severity) after the import. Some didn't start at all; others experienced non-immediate crashes and/or display issues. I feel like, on a bigger project, I'd be terrified of having all kinds of hidden bugs cropping up for end users down the line as a result of import issues that weren't immediately obvious, unless I went through and redid tons of stuff by hand.

Lukan

Gay Wizard Freak
I transferred a very large project of 2+ years from 1.4 to 2 with literally no issues.
All of my code ran fine and the compatibility scripts worked mostly flawlessly.(I did have to patch one that error'd out sometimes)

But all in all, it was incredibly easy to switch over.
I still use 1.4 for html5 exports, but otherwise I've happily moved to 2.0.

M

MaiNaym

I have started nearly all new projects in GMS2. It feels a lot more "professional" with out all the GMS1 clunkyness. I actually like the workspace too believe it or not. Especially on multiple monitors, It gives a ton of room for organization.
Downsides are definitely not having the classic GMS1 tile system, but ESPECIALLY not having my old export modules. Having to pay $400 USD for ANOTHER mobile export module makes me work on my ambitious projects in GMS1.

So in the end, the crazy high cost is what makes GMS2 useless to indie devs. Isn't Game Maker for indie devs?

Lukan

Gay Wizard Freak
Downsides are definitely not having the classic GMS1 tile system
This intrigued me, because I switched for the opposite reason!
I hated the old tiles and the new system was more feature packed for me.
Why do you like the old system? Just curious.

TrunX

I suppose the free placement of tiles not being bound to a grid. GMS2 is using a real Tileset system so it's not possible anymore.
But instead of that you can now place spirtes freely in the room that are not bound to an object.

S

Sam (Deleted User)

Still using 1.4 because I just like it overall better. The runners are less buggy. I don't care so much about a buggy IDE, as long as the actual games work how they are supposed to, and in 2.x they simply do not, (or rather, even less-so than 1.4)...

cidwel

Moved totally to GMS2, so I can use a external code editor that fits me better and still have all the fancy new utilities and good GIT support

M

MaiNaym

Why do you like the old system? Just curious.
Honestly, I'd have to agree it is better, but it's that the changes are pretty big and honestly too much of a hassle to get used to (nearly all of my projects in the past years have used that tile system).
I just wish it would have kept quite the same, but updated to remove all the "jitteryness" if thats a word :p

J

jb skaggs

I was using 1.4 to finish the creation of Skein, but have now moved over completely to 2. It's pretty much superior in every way, and although there are still a few IDE quirks (I find workspaces a bit cumbersome, but a few Prefs tweaks and learning to use the GoTo window has got me a good workflow now), i've found it much nicer to use. I've been porting over some of my WIPs from 1.4 this last month and every time I have to open 1.4 to check something, it's horrible! No going back now...
That pretty much summarizes my experience. I love everything except moving around the IDE.

cidwel

Oh sorry, probably shouldn't have said that. When I say "good GIT support" I say "Hey, at least GML files are now standalone files and not stupid content inside .xml", so now I can freely use my external editor and my GIT strategy to upload and merge files with the gml code from branches to my master branch.

I'm not letting GM to decide what's the best strategy to follow with GIT with some internal git tool. I do not trust another different strategy that doesn't follow my workflow. So, meanwhile they still let us to add code as external files, I'm OK using my workflow that is as simple as adding files to branches, changing branches to test things and not messing with the code, returning to the main branch and merge validated code into my master branch.

I usually let all the content-related with new instances to be updated by the ide itself so when I use "git add ." it adds all the data that has changed (new guids etc). Still I'm alone working with it so, probably I would need something to solve things with trailing commas in uuids when I start working with someone. Probably assigninig a empty value at the last line would do the trick, but I think there are some utils for git merge that will solve these trailing commas issues automagically

Last edited:

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
Still I'm alone working with it so, probably I would need something to solve things with trailing commas in uuids when I start working with someone. Probably assigninig a empty value at the last line would do the trick, but I think there are some utils for git merge that will solve these trailing commas issues automagically
And I've demonstrated how to integrate one of those tools in my response to that topic. Did you read it?

A

Arconious

In particular, I feel the new tile system is useless to me as long as there's no way to add metadata to individual building blocks, so you can't tell what tile type a tile is (and e.g. treat slopes differently collision-wise, and such). Placing invisible objects for the dynamics and then placing tiles for the graphics just doubles your workload, so you might as well only place objects. And now since it's much harder to place tiles programmatically, it's much harder to automatically tile the room based on the objects.
Isn't all of this possible in GMS2 right now? Whenever you retrieve a tile from a tilemap, you can bitwise-AND it with the tile_index_mask, leaving you with the tile index, allowing you to check for different tile types and respond accordingly. Additionally, you can even append custom data to this 'tile blob' in-case you want to store additional metadata, as the documentation points out.

M

MadZenno

I like GMS2 but on my laptop (which is full HD screen), it feels really small.

When I goto an Object then to Event, to Add Event, it's really messy, and you cannot resize, or move the UI properly.

Lukan

Gay Wizard Freak
I like GMS2 but on my laptop (which is full HD screen), it feels really small.

When I goto an Object then to Event, to Add Event, it's really messy, and you cannot resize, or move the UI properly.
You can change the scale by using the DPI override in settings!

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
I usually let all the content-related with new instances to be updated by the ide itself so when I use "git add ."
If I remember correctly, there's some caveats with using . (it's better to use the -A flag); . is interpreted as "add all files in the current folder", so it will fail if you add files from anywhere other than the project root (in particular, any folder that's in your .gitignore files), and it also won't remove files (which can lead to bogus resources staying in your project forever). Probably nothing you need to worry too hard about (since GM keeps track of what project resources should go in the game in its metadata files anyway) but it's good to be aware that there is a difference.

Whenever you retrieve a tile from a tilemap, you can bitwise-AND it with the tile_index_mask, leaving you with the tile index, allowing you to check for different tile types and respond accordingly.
My issue is that the index doesn't tell you a lot :p
  • If you resize the background sprite, indexes may change
  • the manual doesn't even mention whether the index counts left-to-right-top-to-down or some other arcane ordering
  • the manual doesn't clarify whether the index correlates to the background or the tile palette
  • it's not clear whether index 0 is the special "eraser" tile or not
I suppose it's possible to reverse-engineer the "tile left" and "tile top" values by mod:ing (tile width * tile index) with the graphics resource's width, but not being able to slap metadata indices directly onto tiles like in RPG maker feels like a missed opportunity when all the infrastructure is in the engine already. If I'm gonna have to do it programmatically, I might as well just use the index, rendering the blob pointless.

A

Arconious

• the manual doesn't even mention whether the index counts left-to-right-top-to-down or some other arcane ordering
  • the manual doesn't clarify whether the index correlates to the background or the tile palette
I suppose it's possible to reverse-engineer the "tile left" and "tile top" values by mod:ing (tile width * tile index) with the graphics resource's width, but not being able to slap metadata indices directly onto tiles like in RPG maker feels like a missed opportunity when all the infrastructure is in the engine already. If I'm gonna have to do it programmatically, I might as well just use the index, rendering the blob pointless.
Those are certainly issues I hadn't considered (and correct me if I'm wrong), but those sound like issues related more to generating/manipulating a tileset asset/sprite on the fly, whereas the lens I'm viewing it from is one with static and prebuilt tileset sprites and assets. Your statement I took conflict with was "so you can't tell what tile type a tile is (and e.g. treat slopes differently collision-wise, and such).", because I feel like there are relatively simple ways to achieve exactly what you laid out as not possible -- but that is under a whole host of assumptions about the design/layout/structure of your game/levels. I'm sure you must have run into some situations where already where you felt like you couldn't easily establish some necessary information about the tile(s) you were working with. For me, utilizing a specific prebuilt 'collision tileset' on a separate tilemap layer has yielded me no such frustrations yet -- the indexes are stable and clear, so I can indicate different logic based on what tile I'm currently interacting with, allowing me to tell what "type" I'm dealing with and also create slopes/jump-through tiles/etc.

M

MadZenno

You can change the scale by using the DPI override in settings!
Ok this is what I mean, when I move these windows, I they all stick together.

Changing the DPI did not help (Increased it to 150%).

Attachments

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
The top one is high on my list, and I've "half" a fix for it sitting in a branch just now, just no time to finish it yet....

All tilesets that are "proper" grid based tilesets are based from top left to bottom right. I'm sure we can get that added to the manual if it's not clear though.

I assume you mean the "tile number" here. Why would the "index" be a background (or rather sprite)? a tile index is the index into the grid. Just like normal grids, it's 0 at the top left then (w*h)-1 at the bottom right.

From the manual.....
"When creating your tilesets, keep in mind that the top left grid cell must always be empty as this is the tile thatGameMaker Studio 2 will use for "empty" tiles in a room and for erasing existing tiles (and even if you have pixels in that part of the image they will be ignored)."

That seems pretty clear to me....? Basically when building up a tilemap to display, it builds up a grid of quads (2 triangles). If tile(or index) 0 is there, it doesn't even add these to the grid, allowing rendering to be much faster. The tile is "empty" so you don't need to render anything.

As to "metadata"..... look at the Dungeon demo. Meta data can easily be added using another tilemap - or MANY other tilemaps. We did have designs for meta data, but compared to just adding a custom (design only) tilemap, and then new layers for collisions/meta data, it didn't stack up. Having a whole layer for meta data, using your own graphics to display is increadibly powerful, and fast. You can "paint" your meta data using all the normal tilemap features in the editor...file...line...rect, all of them. Want to put a pickup or "trigger" somewhere, then on a hidden layer - which the code can still read, pain in a custom tile for it.
These tilemaps don't even have to be the same resolution. Look here...

You can see I use much smaller tiles for collision, but this could just as easily be "pickup" or "door" triggers. Tile maps aren't "just" for display, they are a way to edit user data that is queried in-game. The Dungeon demo does this for collision - have a look at that. It has a custom tileset that I can then paint over the top over ever thing in the room editor.

Lastly.... code manipulation of tilemaps. This is monumentally faster than adding old tiles. "all" you need to add is a single number. No setting up UVs for everything, just "poke" a number into the grid cell and the tile appears. I just can't see how that isn't better. I've done procedural stuff with 1.x and 2, and this is much, much quicker and simpler. You also have the added advantage that you "could" use the graphic itself as a collision if you need to.

okay.... really lastly. The new tilemaps are such an improvement that you can now have many layers of them without performance impacts, and this means you can overlay many of them to get the effects you want. On top of this if you need "unaligned" graphics, the asset layer does let you dump sprites down anywhere you like. This is ideal for things like grass, vines, misc "details" that help break up the grid nature of some tileset.

A

annaanw

I have ve found it much nicer to use. I've been porting over some of my WIPs from 1.4 this last month and every time I have to open 1.4 to check something!

Jabbers

The changes in the tile system screw up my project big time, so I've been keeping it in 1.4. I used dynamically created tiles heavily in my game, and I don't have time to redesign that aspect of the project. The compatibility scripts that GM generated for me were broken and impossibly slow.

A

AnonyMouse

I am back to 1.4. When I imported my project into v. 2 it works but when I try to change code it start erroring. How it works is very interesting because code is not relevant to v. 2. But there are some problems. When I started to rewrite it to v. 2 I realized there is a lot to learn and to change - views, cameras, instance_create_level. Too tired from rewriting. When new version appears the old code doesnt work correctly and that was from 6 to 7, from 7 to GMS 1, now GMS 2, cant remember about v. 8. For a big project as RTS rewriting is a bit too hard.
Also v. 2 eats a lot of resources, it is OK for a single project but with GMS 1.4 and some other stuff Windows is trying to close some applications and that means when I put back all the graphics it will be hard especially with my DELL at the job, which is limited to 4 gb RAM.
I think there should be some more innovations for non professional gamecreators, some built-in solutions for example pathfinding system which is really useful (because all published user stuff is actually useless except for learning some important things) and some other friendly stuff. What I see recently is that many people with programming skills are using GMS for practice and exercises and GMS is going more professional oriented, which is good - if only stop changing GMLanguage.
GMS 2 is impressive btw, I found great things in it but will switch when I finish that project.

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
How many people have made the jump and committed to game maker 2, using it on a day to day basis for proper projects?

I've bought it, but I haven't made anything serious with it. GM 1.4 is just too familiar still.
I am all for moving on - I love GMS2! But I make assets, so I make them in GMS 1.4, to support both versions.

So, I use GMS2 for my games, but regularly go back to 1.4 for the assets.

Reactions: Yal

hogwater

I've moved over the GMS 2 now. It's SO MUCH BETTER. Especially after setting event windows to open in a full screen code editor.

So far the only thing I would really like is for event tabs to open in different rows grouped by object. But I love the ability to have a create, step and draw event for an object open and tab between them.

Is there a full list of keyboard shortcuts somewhere?

B

Blackened

I don't know what you mean by "officially". I have GM7-GMS2. While I tend towards 1.4 (because of current project commitments), I use all iterations of GM that I own for what they are. Always have, always will. It's nice to be able to open examples new or old within the intended IDE, without screwing around with compatibility scripts or obsolete functions. "The right tool, for the right job!" is what Engineer Scott used to say. I rather like that.

cidwel

I switched to gms2 like 6 months and the overall is good. I'm using an external code editor for programming because I can get used to with the kind of workflow they want us to play with (hate these nodes, but supose this is only my issue) but I'm ok with the rest of the tools.

The only issue that I have are constant freezes with the ide, specially when opening or closing my game with the debugger. Anyway this will eventually get solved

For me, the new room editor is really good. The autotile system is good for me and works well

T

ThinPixels

I have jumped over to GMS2 as well. I won't lie, at first I rather disliked it, but I now realize it was merely the change that I disliked. GMS2 is quite a bit different in many aspects, but I can't see going back now that I've grown accustomed to it. The best part is, GMS2 is just really getting started, there is much more to come I believe!

A

atzbach747

I thought it was going to be much worse from my early beta days. Its pretty stable now and I'm glad to have it working on a better and more supportive engine!!!

A

Artwark

I have switched to GMS2 and while I haven't used it much due to my personal life being in the way, its much better and improved.

The only issue I have with it is that as of now, its DRM. Meaning that it requires internet connection to access the damn thing as my bro got it from steam. Really wish this is fixed because I don't exactly have great internet speed and all....

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
The only issue I have with it is that as of now, its DRM. Meaning that it requires internet connection to access the damn thing as my bro got it from steam. Really wish this is fixed because I don't exactly have great internet speed and all....
You can go to your YoYo Licence page and get a stand-alone version for Mac/PC to install. While this does require you to be online the first time you run it, after that you only need to connect every couple of weeks or so to validate the install, but it should work fine the rest of the time offline.

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
You can go to your YoYo Licence page and get a stand-alone version for Mac/PC to install. While this does require you to be online the first time you run it, after that you only need to connect every couple of weeks or so to validate the install, but it should work fine the rest of the time offline.
That never works for me, though. I was using the standalone version for all this time and it never even once worked offline. I use the Steam version now, for automatic updates.

O

Outseidr

Oh yea, best decision i've ever made. I've created not only games but useful software for businesses with GMS2.

hogwater

If I download and install the standalone version (I already have the Steam version installed), will this mean having two separate installs on the same pc? Two copies of every file etc?

rIKmAN

If I download and install the standalone version (I already have the Steam version installed), will this mean having two separate installs on the same pc? Two copies of every file etc?
The standalone version and the Steam version are installed in different locations, if that's what you are asking?

hogwater

Yeah I guess so. If I install the standalone and open a project from the Steam version and save it, am I safe to then uninstall the Steam one and delete all associated files?

T

Thunder Lion

How many people have made the jump and committed to game maker 2, using it on a day to day basis for proper projects?

I've bought it, but I haven't made anything serious with it. GM 1.4 is just too familiar still.
I just started a week or 2 ago. I had it for months but i was soo use to studio 1 sense its similiar to 8.1, my gripe with gms2 is the sprite editor, it doesn't feature all the stuff from prev versions, which i rely on a lot, i may start trying gimp out as i want to stretch my wings a tad, i finall made a game! I used gms2 to make it but used gms1 for sprite making then imported them to gms2, the updates im doing will be released on Friday, so far it all works, i need to fine tune and pretty some things up.

T

Thunder Lion

Here's one reason why I officially moved to GMS2.

Hell, this is useful even on a single monitor. You could never have this much open in GMS1.
I love the new windows i had to move the room editor to the left though lol, the sprite editor is a bit empty though also text shpuld be movable until finalised22