Demo Kolosse - A monster collecting fighter

I

IngoLingo

It's like Pokemon mixed with Super Smash Bros and Street Fighter, with a pinch of Undertale.

https://gamejolt.com/games/Kolosse/291280

This is a project that I have been working on for the past few months. Using Game Maker: Studio 1.4.
I already have most of the mechanics finished or created a proof of concept, just need to create random encounters and the capture mechanics. After that I can work on creating the over-world.

Let me know what you think.
CONTROLES:

Arrow Keys to move
Space-bar to Talk and Run
"Z" to Attack

This game is also compatible with a gamepad.

(PS3/PS4 and Xbox 360/ONE should work but haven't been tested)

Overworld:

Battles:

Starters:​

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Saw "monster collecting" + "Fighter" and clicked on this immediately! Just downloaded the game. What are the controls? Its late where I'm at, so I won't be able to play much, but I'll leave some constructive feedback tomorrow. Looks interesting.

I

IngoLingo

Saw "monster collecting" + "Fighter" and clicked on this immediately! Just downloaded the game. What are the controls? Its late where I'm at, so I won't be able to play much, but I'll leave some constructive feedback tomorrow. Looks interesting.
Sorry, the controles are:

Arrow Keys to move
"Z" to Attack

This game is also compatible with a gamepad. X-box and PS controllers should work.

Sorry, the controles are:

Arrow Keys to move
"Z" to Attack

This game is also compatible with a gamepad. X-box and PS controllers should work.
Cool, controller support! Will try it out with my Xbox One controller later. So, will there be more than one attack per monster?

I

IngoLingo

Cool, controller support! Will try it out with my Xbox One controller later. So, will there be more than one attack per monster?
Just one attack per monster for now. I am working on adding more just for the demo. But in the full game they will start off with one attack and learn more when they level up.

Thanks for trying it out. :) Can't wait to see what you think of the game.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the type of Poke'mon-style game a lot of people want where you take full control of your monster. The controls are responsive (both using keyboard and controller), but you should probably change the run button/key to a different one than the talk button. I love the sense of scale and proportion during battle where you can clearly see both trainers in the background are clearly taller than the monsters that are fighting. You have definitely nailed the feeling of the Poke'mon games when it comes down to the dialogue. The only thing I can say I don't like is the art style/sprites, but I assume they will get better or are just placeholders for now. Please keep going with this and don't give up on this game because I can tell you from experience this is a tough style of game to tackle especially by yourself.

D

DyingSilence

It's very rough for now and needs more options of play and counterplay during the fights, but I enjoy the idea, and you seem to be doing very well.
I bet, the many "..." responses are placeholders, because that's some terrible dialog right there :D
The fighting animation were surprisingly good.
Also, green birb for life!

I

IngoLingo

...The only thing I can say I don't like is the art style/sprites, but I assume they will get better or are just placeholders for now...
I'm glad you like the potential in this game. About the art style, are you talking about all of the art or the art for just the over-world sprites?

It's very rough for now and needs more options of play and counterplay during the fights, but I enjoy the idea, and you seem to be doing very well.
I bet, the many "..." responses are placeholders, because that's some terrible dialog right there :D
The fighting animation were surprisingly good.
Also, green birb for life!
Thanks for the response. Yes, the "..." are placeholders, though it would be funny if I keep them in the final game. XD

I'm glad you like the potential in this game. About the art style, are you talking about all of the art or the art for just the over-world sprites?
Mostly the art style for the monsters. The overworld sprites just need to be improved upon a bit. Using different shades of a color could help make certain sprites look better.

I

IngoLingo

Mostly the art style for the monsters. The overworld sprites just need to be improved upon a bit. Using different shades of a color could help make certain sprites look better.
I can see that now. The style dose look a little off. But that's what you get when you draw in flash with just a mouse. For sure the art will get better once I buy a good graphics tablet like a cintiq. Thank you for your input.

Doing a Kickstarter for Kolossé! If you are interested check it out or share it with some friends who like anything to do with monster collecting games or fighters. This game is a combination of both!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1887435763/kolosse-a-monster-collecting-fighter?ref=user_menu
Is the demo from the KS the same from a month ago? I hope you reach your goal. You should try to reach out to others through social media and YT. I've gotten the attention of one popular Poke'mon Youtuber (RuffledRowlet) to check it out, so hopefully he decides to take a look at your game. Have you tried going to the Poke'mon Community? I think posting on sites with a dedicated Pokemon/Smash Bros fanbase will help you get more donations to your project.

Zodaris

I downloaded the version from the kickstarter page. Has a lot of promise. Couple things I'll point out though:
- The overworld art is bland and a bit bright overall. The character sprites are decent though. The Kolossé art needs help, but you already mentioned that will be improving.
- Couple spelling errors on the mailboxes.
- Combat is floaty and needs work, but that's expected from a pre-alpha so I say this to keep it in mind.
--- These next few issues happened while I had it in fullscreen (pressed Alt + Enter) That may or may not have something to do with it. ---
- Terrible screen tearing in full screen.
- The pause menu instead of being centered, will appear off to the left, and the visible part of the screen moves to the right. Returns to normal after unpausing.
- Got this error after being sent to bed:
of Draw Event
for object obj_nightCycle:

Trying to use non-existing surface.
at gml_Object_obj_nightCycle_Draw_0
############################################################################################

I am excited to see the final product though! You've made a lot more progress than most of the people who try to do or at least dream of something like this.

I

IngoLingo

Is the demo from the KS the same from a month ago? I hope you reach your goal. You should try to reach out to others through social media and YT. I've gotten the attention of one popular Poke'mon Youtuber (RuffledRowlet) to check it out, so hopefully he decides to take a look at your game. Have you tried going to the Poke'mon Community? I think posting on sites with a dedicated Pokemon/Smash Bros fanbase will help you get more donations to your project.
The demo is more or less the same, except for a few tweaks and adding background music. You know I totally forgot to ask all of the Poke'mon Youtubers on my list to check this game out. I'll do that now, thanks for the reminder!

I downloaded the version from the kickstarter page. Has a lot of promise. Couple things I'll point out though:
- The overworld art is bland and a bit bright overall. The character sprites are decent though. The Kolossé art needs help, but you already mentioned that will be improving.
- Couple spelling errors on the mailboxes.
- Combat is floaty and needs work, but that's expected from a pre-alpha so I say this to keep it in mind.
--- These next few issues happened while I had it in fullscreen (pressed Alt + Enter) That may or may not have something to do with it. ---
- Terrible screen tearing in full screen.
- The pause menu instead of being centered, will appear off to the left, and the visible part of the screen moves to the right. Returns to normal after unpausing.
- Got this error after being sent to bed:
of Draw Event
for object obj_nightCycle:

Trying to use non-existing surface.
at gml_Object_obj_nightCycle_Draw_0
############################################################################################

I am excited to see the final product though! You've made a lot more progress than most of the people who try to do or at least dream of something like this.

This is a lot of good information, thank you. I will for sure look into those glitches and errors. I'm glad you enjoyed the potential of this game.