Should I use GameMaker for non-games

ShineBolt

Prologue: Last term I took a Statistics course that taught me how to use StatCrunch (statistics calculator), which requires a fee at least every year, so instead I thought I'd just finish up some work I've been doing in Excel, which are part notes part program. However, coming back to try and use it after a year or something is going to be difficult. Now I'm going to take my first programming class on programming with a GUI this fall I believe, but I already have some experience with programming in gml, so I think it would be easier.

So, I'm a little unsure, if I were to start making a non-game in GameMaker, would I ever be able to get any help? Is there some serious language issues I'll have if I try to make a calculator? Will my C++ professors notice if I submit all my assignments in gml? I just want to save the most money and time possible.

P.S. Now that I typed this out I realize it should have gone in the Off Topic section sorry.

Z

zircher

I would suggest sticking with using Excel and VBA. Not because GML can or can't do the job, but because Excel + VBA would be more of a resume building experience.

Llama_Code

I don't know how your classes work, but when I was learning c++ we had to submit both a compiled program and source code.

Either way, they will be able to tell the difference.

You can make non games in GML, and people here will gladly help you, but for some things it's honestly is just easier to use a different language. The great part of knowing multiple programming languages is being able to pick the right one for the task.

Genetix

Making non-games in GM is a great way to learn a ton of things about it and to push yourself to think about the program and is capabilities in new ways - I say do it!

I wouldn't try to pass it off to professors for actual course work - I went through college and had to learn C++ Java assembly and many other things, and am better off for it, you'll be glad you dedicated yourself to learn a few other languages.

I imagine you are approaching what will be some very stressful and challenging times - but don't look past the fact that they are going to also be your greatest days and best memories in some ways - enjoy your time!

H

HammerOn

Think about your objective. Is it to earn a piece of paper (certificate) or to be a better programmer?
Instead of the professor, you are the only one harmed when you cheat your own learning.

ShineBolt

The part about whether or not the professor would be able to tell, was a joke. I don't think he would even be able to open the files with the gml code. (And what I am currently trying to do isn't an assignment) Also I just learned about a thing called the Analysis Toolkit in Excel, which probably has a lot of the stuff I am trying to make.

M

Matthew

Gamemaker is barely a passable tool when you're making games. You'll find that any other toolkit/language blows it out of the water on anything else.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Matthew

What are you even doing on these forums? Why would you continually visit the website of a product you will never like or use?
This is a community for game makers, and I make games. I just use a functional toolset.

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
Is there some serious language issues I'll have if I try to make a calculator?
GML is a good choice for that, especially if you want to make a graphing calculator. I love using GML for all sorts of math demos. I have access to other languages, but I frequently use GML for quick prototypes. Anytime you want fun visual effects, GML is worth considering.

Anybody ever tried making a website with the Studio HTML5 module? I've been thinking about doing that, just for the fun of it.

Llama_Code

Anybody ever tried making a website with the Studio HTML5 module? I've been thinking about doing that, just for the fun of it.
I have, also for fun. It's a bit more work, and not something I would use as a production website, but it was fun nonetheless.