• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Graphics Enemy Ideas

T

Treecase86

I've made the main characters and main villain designs, but what I need is enemy designs... I've been drawing for hours now, but I can't think of anything good, what would you do in this situation?

N

Nexusrex

Simply i play games which may look like mine. Or just think out of the box based on the game's zone.

T

Tango

Before creating a enemy as character, you must think on his behavior in-game. Let's take a Goomba as example. Don't think Goomba as a brown fungus, but as a thing that walk horizontally and will hurt the player if touch on sides, but die if touch at the top.

When you're done, then you can think in the visual of the enemy, as it matches with his behavior. You don't need necessarily do this to all enemies, but it's a good tip.

Another thing is make he looks like he is actually the main villain's follower. For example, if the main villain is a king, then make enemies as knights. If the main villain is a wizard, then make minor wizards as enemies. You don't need do this to all enemies too.

But the best tip is, don't follow any of the tips before, unless you really want to. A good thing on a game is make it escapes from the reality. You can make a cute rabbit be a follower of a demon king. Why not? It's up to your creativity.

If you need some ideas, play some games, or even take a look outside of games. What frustrates you the most? What you would like to punch until the death?

These are my tips. Have a good enemy designing!

G

GhostlyFeline

Think about how you want the player to interact with enemies in your game. Then think about how the enemies can behave in a way that makes those interactions fun and/or challenging. Finally, take the main characteristic of how you would interact with that enemy, and extrapolate. One good example is the little hard hat guys from Mega Man.

The purpose of these enemies is to be invulnerable to buster shots temporarily, so that the player has to time their shots. The hard hat communicates this idea very well, since the enemy can hide under the hat.

RangerX

If inspiration is hard to come by, design your mobs purely from a design standpoint and decide the looks later. You will save time this way.
Mobs are there to challenge the player and make him/her use its set of moves. Your mobs should be designed around that. They are meant to practice the player and make him/her master your game.

Jump -- Something huge enough you HAVE to jump over. A mob that jumps at you. A mob that jumps when you jump, etc. Make the player use the jump in different ways!
Shoot -- A mob too tall to jump over. A mob you shoot and sometimes pull up a shield. A mob that becomes hyper-crazy if you shoot it, etc.
Slide -- A flying mob diving at you that your slide avoids. A mob you can slide between its legs. A mob you slide on it to make it fall, etc.

and you go on, making ALL of your character's abilities at test.

C

ConsolCWBY

I find doodling on paper works for me - geometric designs help me to clear my mind. But RangerX is spot on. I'd follow his advice. :)

Z

zircher

Believe it or not, I unleash the power of daydreaming and just imagine myself playing the game and thinking up what my character would do and say, what obstacles they'll face, and what surprises or cut scenes will be thrown at me. That's why I also always keep a journal with me. The challenge becomes, how do I make all of that a reality?

[Note to self: forward slide kick with a particle emitter for a dust trail.]