• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

OFFICIAL GMS2 Version 2.1.3

breakmt

Yes! Didn't GMS 1.4 have a find all references function to show where a resource was being used?

This would be very useful, especially a colour coding for non-used assets.

In theory it's possible to write an external tool for this, just read the id of the asset from the YY file of the asset, then search all the other files in the project for occurrences of that id, and build up report on what resource is used where.
I saw "refactoring" in Road Map, so I guess someday we all be happy using it :)

chmod777

It seems that desktop Chrome is going to take the same route than mobile browsers about audio in HTML5. In Chrome Canary:
An AudioContext must be created or resumed after the document received a user gesture to enable audio playback
This error happens:
- when the game is iframed AND iframe and parent domains are not the same.
- when you access the game directly with the url bar (no browsing before).

This means audio won't be played in stable Chrome soon.

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
@chmod777 - good this should stop users creating websites that don't work on mobile - we should not need to change anything as we currently work on browsers on mobile, the game just needs to start with a screen that encourages a button or gesture that the player has to hit before any sound is played.

This change should not affect GMS users as it stands

Russell

G

So basic keyboard navigation is still broken, right? I'm a few versions behind, but I don't want to update until we have a basic level of "you can move your cursor around like literally every other program" functionality. Anyone try YellowAfterlife's external code editor and can report whether it seamlessly replaces GMS2's perpetually broken code editor?

Tsa05

So basic keyboard navigation is still broken, right?
Gonna have to be more specific, I fear.
Left arrow moves left, Right arrow moves right, Home returns to the beginning of the tab, then beginning of the line. End takes you to the end of a line. Ctrl+arrows jump by a word, Ctrl+shift+arrows select by a word. Afaik, the only one missing is Ctrl+shift+End to select to the bottom of a script? (Ctrl+End jumps to the end of a script).

Ctrl+Shift+Number sets a bookmark, Ctrl+Number jumps to it. Ctrl+ALT+Arrows moves focus to adjacent code windows/ Ctrl+PgUp/PgDn changes tabs within a code window. Middle Mouse and drag pans around the workspace...

Many things are working, particularly in the area of "basic" keyboard navigation. They've definitely tweaked a lot of that lately... Heck, they even fixed the issue where pressing Ctrl+C with nothing selected cleared the clipboard.

G

Gonna have to be more specific, I fear.
Afaik, the only one missing is Ctrl+shift+End to select to the bottom of a script? (Ctrl+End jumps to the end of a script).
This is what I was remembering. If that's really the only remaining cursor-navigation bug, that's cool. Thanks for the reply.

Ubu

Deleting instances made with instance_copy(true/false) produces the following message:
Layer system integrity compromised, instance 100003 not on layer 0

Is this a bug?

IDE Version: 2.1.3.273
Current Runtime: 2.1.3.189
Build Target: Windows -> VM

bml

Lots of great ideas!

The Resource tree is the most painful aspect of GMS2 for me. It's wasted hours upon hours of my time.

Tonight I'm trying to re-organize my project after having to rebuild it a couple weeks ago. I decided to start a new project partly because I found lots of bad views and objects in my project when I looked at the directories. That meant I lost all my groups so I had 1222 sprites in the root of my sprite group. I tried to move ~180 sprites into a group. After 45 minutes of "no response" and nothing it the logs I killed GMS. Now I'm moving 10 sprites at a time which is taking just under 2 minutes a batch. Moving a single sprite to a group takes 11 seconds. The math is not good - it's going to take me 4 hours just to move files into groups. It's more like 5+ hours because a lot of the operations will end up failing and need to be repeated. Eventually, they will be in their groups but still not in a useful order so that's even more time. I'm doing this on my Windows desktop which is very performant and has an SSD. I find my mac, even with an SSD, feels about an order of magnitude slower.

This is my wishlist:
  1. Integrity checking. The views seem fragile. They seem especially prone to leaving files around. Even if it takes hours, it would be nice to identify extraneous files and GUIDs that map to a non-existent object. Better yet, rebuild when possible and give an option for what to do with these. I have 299 views and around 20 groups. I think these are because I tried to drag and drop my scripts and it put them in the include folder then didn't recognize that I deleted them. I forgot that I had to add each script one at a time or create a bogus Marketplace project to get them into the project. None of these bad views generate a console message. Even if I did get a warning what am I expected to do to remediate it? Delete the entry in the YYP file and/or remove it from views etc...?
  2. Scale. The performance seems to scale linearly. Maybe 1222 sprites are excessive, but I don't think it should be.
  3. Fix the sluggish responsiveness of the UI.
  4. Fix the targeting. It's difficult to accurately drag and drop. This is worse when you have a lot of items in the group and the UI is sluggish. It feels like 25% of the time I get the green checkmark over the destination group but after waiting two minutes for the operation to finish the files don't end up in the group.
  5. Sort options for groups. Alphabetical sorting would make me incredibly happy. Instead of wasting hours trying to manually reorder, I want to right click on the group and select sort and be done with it. It would save me hours of time.
  6. I hate that the groups auto expand when something is dropped on them. This is a pain for a large number of objects or trying when trying to re-organize. Maybe the delay to too short and with UI lag it's more of an issue.
  7. Visual feedback. Instead of being "not responding" for minutes at a time, it would be useful to see that some progress was being made. Bonus points for cancel button or estimated time.
  8. Scale the speed of auto scroll. Dragging an object from the top of a group to the bottom when you have a lot of objects is very slow.
  9. Some way to manipulate the files and groups directly. If I was using the filesystem I could organize and rename 100's of objects in minutes as opposed to tediously doing this in the UI. For example, instead of relationships in view files, use directories. So sprites/items/obj_chest/ on the local filesystem maps to the sprite root group and the items subgroup with the object being obj_chest. I've started writing scripts to alter the YYP and YY files, but that's an ugly hack.
If I'm doing something wrong or there's a better way to do what I'm trying to do I would love to hear about it.

I'll file bug reports or feature requests for anything not already reported.

G

1. Integrity checking. The views seem fragile. They seem especially prone to leaving files around. Even if it takes hours, it would be nice to identify extraneous files and GUIDs that map to a non-existent object. Better yet, rebuild when possible and give an option for what to do with these. I have 299 views and around 20 groups. I think these are because I tried to drag and drop my scripts and it put them in the include folder then didn't recognize that I deleted them. I forgot that I had to add each script one at a time or create a bogus Marketplace project to get them into the project. None of these bad views generate a console message. Even if I did get a warning what am I expected to do to remediate it? Delete the entry in the YYP file and/or remove it from views etc...?
This is very important. It is incredible that GMS2 cannot rebuild its underlying database by analyzing the resource tree you've created and comparing it the resources you've added, which are actually buried in the YYP/YY infrastructure. People seem to encounter corruption not infrequently.

Last edited by a moderator:

12ashbaker

Yeah I got a bug: https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/completely-random-fps-slowdown.43037/
Back in August of last year I was having an issue on my iPhone 7 Plus. I would play my game for several hours through multiple different play sessions and then all of a sudden (without starting any new builds or changing anything about the game) the game just randomly starts becoming slow so everything is super slow as if the room speed was half of what it should be, or if the fps was cut in half. It was working completely fine. I didn't even plug the phone back into the computer and just played it on the device multiple times and then randomly when I open it up later in the day it does the slow down. The way I fix it is delete the game test app from my phone and then compile the game again and its back to working perfectly although it went back to slowing down again after several play sessions. When I open the game there is a title screen with some super basic animations and when it does it slows down even those animations come super slow and there is basically nothing in the room. I got an iPhone X and have not experienced this issue since. However, my girlfriend has been playing my game on her iPhone 7 for the past week and there have been no frame slowdowns or anything like that, then all of a sudden today this same issue started happening where the game is running at half the speed it usually does. The entire game slows down (animations, player movement, etc). Then once in awhile it speeds back up for half a second and goes back to slowing down. I am using the latest game maker build and the latest version of macOS.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ruimm

Yeah I got a bug for you: https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/completely-random-fps-slowdown.43037/
Back in August of last year I was having an issue on my iPhone 7 Plus. I would play my game for several hours through multiple different play sessions and then all of a sudden (without starting any new builds or changing anything about the game) the game just randomly starts becoming slow so everything is super slow as if the room speed was half of what it should be, or if the fps was cut in half. It was working completely fine. I didn't even plug the phone back into the computer and just played it on the device multiple times and then randomly when I open it up later in the day it does the slow down. The way I fix it is delete the game test app from my phone and then compile the game again and its back to working perfectly although it went back to slowing down again after several play sessions. When I open the game there is a title screen with some super basic animations and when it does it slows down even those animations come super slow and there is basically nothing in the room. I got an iPhone X and have not experienced this issue since. However, my girlfriend has been playing my game on her iPhone 7 for the past week and there have been no frame slowdowns or anything like that, then all of a sudden today this same issue started happening where the game is running at half the speed it usually does. The entire game slows down (animations, player movement, etc). Then once in awhile it speeds back up for half a second and goes back to slowing down. I am using the latest game maker build and the latest version of macOS.
stuff like that can happen for ex. if your phone gets cluttered with apps consuming memory. It might not even have anything to do with GM or the game you're playing. It can also be a memory leak on your side. Not excluding the possibility that this might be a GM bug there are so many other things that could explain this and are way more likely.

Tsa05

Might as well toss it in here as well, since I haven't heard back from the helpdesk yet:
The ds_map_replace_map() function throws a javascript error on html5 export. Specifically, the function isn't defined. This makes working with JSON break completely.
Works perfectly as documented on a desktop export.

12ashbaker

So there is a serious system wide bug on Game Maker Studio 2 for Mac. If you try to add an existing object or anything a Finder window pops up for you so look for or search for the thing you want to import. However the search feature does not work at all. If you type in anything in the search bar nothing will appear. I contacted Apple about this and was on the phone for an hour and they finally said that there is no way it is a problem with the operating system and it is Game Maker Studio that has the issue.

Slyddar

In 1.4 and 2 you can move objects within the Room Editor with the arrow keys. In 1.4 though you could hold Shift or Control to move in 5 or 10 pixel lots. Can we have functionality in 2 please? It was really useful.

kupo15

Is this where we suggest ideas? It would be great if any second window you create in a project also had the name of the project in the title instead of simply being called "New Window." I had two different GMS2 projects open with two New windows open and the only way to discern between which project I was working on was to go to the taskbar and see which window is what.

rIKmAN

Is this where we suggest ideas? It would be great if any second window you create in a project also had the name of the project in the title instead of simply being called "New Window." I had two different GMS2 projects open with two New windows open and the only way to discern between which project I was working on was to go to the taskbar and see which window is what.
If you want to file it as a proper suggestion, report it as a bug.

They took out the "Suggestion" category when reporting a bug so just put it in the title of the report - but writing it here isn't really going to do anything in terms of getting it added / fixed.