• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

What is the exact process of publishing solo?

L

Lorulean

I'm making decent progress on my gms2 project and I'm getting ready to look into publishing to itch.io and maybe even Steam, I have been working solo from the start to conserve costs and I also do not legally own a company yet.

What is the exact process of publishing and what should I prepare for exactly?

Genetix

Each platform you publish a product on will be a bit different. Itch.io was relatively simple - Go to their site, create a developer account if you haven't already and go through each of the steps, such as submitting specific art assets, information, etc....

Steam (used to be at least) quite a bit more work - I published my game Rogue Harvest there after it was greenlit, now you don't have to go through the greenlight process, so it's mostly about creating an account you will publish under, identifying the first step of the process and following each step they ask for along the way.

Of course it can be far more complex - and as a heads up, you should already be marketing your project and building a loyal community around it now or else release date could fall flat.

Good luck!