Windows RIO (city of god's RIO)

R

Rodrigo macknight

Hello everyone!
I'm 'macknighter' the just-self-titled CEO of a non-existing game dev company mkjuegos.

I am making a single player top-down shooter game about violence in Brazil.

It has many political taboos, with lots of humor, and the game-play is intense action with almost no time to breathe. Many people say it has lots of similarities with hotline MIAMI, i can see those, but i didn't even play hotline yet .

These are some screen shots from the first scenario (first level) and some videos of the gameplay.
overlay.png

If you think the game has cool looks and gameplay, you can download what we have already done in
http://mkjuegos.com/RIO/
JUST CLICK THE RIO – V0.3 (careful brain exploding danger) LINK TO DOWNLOAD THE LATEST VERSION.

S

SuperSlim

I assume that all the art is temp art? No offence ofcourse.

R

Rodrigo macknight

I assume that all the art is temp art? No offence ofcourse.
Actually, no. Most of the art in the videos is the final art. No offense taken!
I am no artist :(
But i will improve, i hope!

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
I think the main issue your art has right now is lack of contrast. I would make the streets and other stuff you can walk on a lot darker (just lower the lumiosity using the Intensity tool in the sprite editor) than the walls and ceilings, and it should instantly get better. You could also look into textures.com, you can download textures of real streets and ceilings and stuff from there for free, and make backgrounds or sprites out of them. If you have GIMP installed, it also has a built-in tool to make a image seamless, which is great for textures you're planning to use as backgrounds.

HighlandCoo

It's a great concept!

Suggestions
- Add bullet spent cases flying about when you shoot
- add muzzle flash when you shoot
- make the bullets bigger and faster
- where are my corpses man? I want to see the mess I made ;)
- Make an impact effect for bullets that miss - holes, smoke, splinters etc.
- blood spatter for bullet impacts on people
- make people knocked back when hit with bullets
- stop the camera following you so closely, it's very rigid and unnatural

.. thats enough for now I think :)

G

GameBorgs

Ok so I put some time in and I have some thoughts:

Gun switching between the axe and pistol seem instant but switching to the shotgun seems to have an animation or delay. I'd rather see them all have delays or all have no delays.

Every once in a while my mouse would go out of the window and click on the desktop. Maybe add in a feature that keeps the mouse in the window or add in a full screen option. When I tried to go full screen by hitting alt+enter the game crashed.

I think a target lock on button would be a neat idea, it can be hard to stay locked on while also trying to dodge bullet fire.

I found out if I got close to a wall I could stick the gun out through it and still hit enemies.

I'm not exactly sure what makes the enemies aggro. Sometimes they attack me when they are facing me and on screen but sometimes I get attacked from guys that are way off screen. It's not fun to get attacked by bad guys you can't even see. I found myself just blasting away off screen just to make sure nothing was there.

I think having an option for "hotkeys" would be nice. (1 for axe, 2 for pistol, 3 for shotgun)
I liked the blood splatter to indicate health.
I like that you can make the little closet door move around.

All that being said, it was fun considering the small level and I found myself wanting to play more after I killed all the bad guys.

I did some gameplay footage if your interested.

R

Rodrigo macknight

Holy Guys, this forum is so 💩💩💩💩ing helpful!
Ok so I put some time in and I have some thoughts:

Gun switching between the axe and pistol seem instant but switching to the shotgun seems to have an animation or delay. I'd rather see them all have delays or all have no delays.

Every once in a while my mouse would go out of the window and click on the desktop. Maybe add in a feature that keeps the mouse in the window or add in a full screen option. When I tried to go full screen by hitting alt+enter the game crashed.

I think a target lock on button would be a neat idea, it can be hard to stay locked on while also trying to dodge bullet fire.

I found out if I got close to a wall I could stick the gun out through it and still hit enemies.

I'm not exactly sure what makes the enemies aggro. Sometimes they attack me when they are facing me and on screen but sometimes I get attacked from guys that are way off screen. It's not fun to get attacked by bad guys you can't even see. I found myself just blasting away off screen just to make sure nothing was there.

I think having an option for "hotkeys" would be nice. (1 for axe, 2 for pistol, 3 for shotgun)
I liked the blood splatter to indicate health.
I like that you can make the little closet door move around.

All that being said, it was fun considering the small level and I found myself wanting to play more after I killed all the bad guys.

I did some gameplay footage if your interested.

Dude i have the same ideas as you, (almost all of the ideas you wrote are in my 'todo' list)
The only think for me that is a 'real problem' is the enemy agro. Enemies that come from the bottom of the screen are always a surprise, coudnt fix the code for that a couple of times, but working on that soon.

R

Rodrigo macknight

It's a great concept!

Suggestions
- Add bullet spent cases flying about when you shoot
- add muzzle flash when you shoot
- make the bullets bigger and faster
- where are my corpses man? I want to see the mess I made ;)
- Make an impact effect for bullets that miss - holes, smoke, splinters etc.
- blood spatter for bullet impacts on people
- make people knocked back when hit with bullets
- stop the camera following you so closely, it's very rigid and unnatural

.. thats enough for now I think :)
Your suggestions are great!

The camera is the best i could get, i have tryied larger radius of 'free camera' than the one im using now, but some issues appears along the way.

There are muzzle flash when you shoot, but ill get it better as you didnt notice it!

The bullets size and speed are already too 'deep in the game', but i have tested with diferent sizes and speeds, and for the gameplay im trying to achieve, that's the best i could got (i want the player to be able to dodge some stuff!)

corpses: this is my #1 priority

impact for missed bullets: im engineering a good solution that would work on all surfaces.

blood splatter on hit: #2 priority

make people knock back ob bullet impact: thats hapenning (3 pixels per bullet, i think ill raise to 5)
THANKS FOR FEEDBACK, greatly apreciated

Last edited by a moderator:

HighlandCoo

Your suggestions are great!

The camera is the best i could get, i have tryied larger radius of 'free camera' than the one im using now, but some issues appears along the way.

There are muzzle flash when you shoot, but ill get it better as you didnt notice it!

The bullets size and speed are already too 'deep in the game', but i have tested with diferent sizes and speeds, and for the gameplay im trying to achieve, that's the best i could got (i want the player to be able to dodge some stuff!)

corpses: this is my #1 priority

impact for missed bullets: im engineering a good solution that would work on all surfaces.

blood splatter on hit: #2 priority

make people knock back ob bullet impact: thats hapenning (3 pixels per bullet, i think ill raise to 5)
THANKS FOR FEEDBACK, greatly apreciated
For the camera - look in the market place for "ex camera" it's excellent and the last time a looked - it's free!

G

Gedor Games

Nice game there and I see the similarities to hotline miami. I wish you good luck on the project!

A

Ankokushin

Exatctly. My first thought was Hotline Miami. Just on a slower "I can see the bullets" pace.