• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Username change?

S

Shihaisha

I wonder if I can have my username changed? While registering I chose the first random word that came into my head without thinking. I sent a PM to Nocturne several days ago asking for help, but never got a reply. Is there somebody else I should talk to about this?

RekNepZ

GMC Historian
Nocturne is probably your best shot. Not sure why he never responded. Maybe he'll see this thread?

Roa

I was almost positive that in the account creation that it explains that you cannot change it later.

Even though its against the rules, nothing really stopping you from creating a new account if it bothers you that much. You might be able to request this account be deleted.

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Even though its against the rules, nothing really stopping you from creating a new account if it bothers you that much. You might be able to request this account be deleted.
Nononononononono!

That's a *really* bad idea, don't make new account and request the deletion of the old one. Making multiple accounts is against rules for a reason.

I suggest that you wait for Nocturne's response, maybe send another message or something. But please, no making new accounts. We don't want that sort of mess here.

Roa

Nononononononono!

That's a *really* bad idea, don't make new account and request the deletion of the old one. Making multiple accounts is against rules for a reason.

I suggest that you wait for Nocturne's response, maybe send another message or something. But please, no making new accounts. We don't want that sort of mess here.
Is it less of a mess than manually going through a data base for everyone that makes this request? One drop of water in a bucket of spam bots and people that log in one time. I don't even think nocturne makes this call. He is just in charge of CSS and site layout. I highly doubt he has access or authority to go rummaging around through the data base looking for user accounts.

Last edited:

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
Is it less of a mess than manually going through a data base for everyone that makes this request?
All forum software automatically checks for duplicate names, and won't allow them. So Admins know instantly whether requested names can be used.

But the Admins are busy. Pretty sure PlayTech employees have a 20-hour work week. And there's the sauna, ping-pong tournament, and company picnic. You know, executive stuff.

In addition to @Nocturne, you can also PM the other two Admins we have: @Mike and @ShaunJS. They are both active, and they deal with members.

Roa

All forum software automatically checks for duplicate names, and won't allow them. So Admins know instantly whether requested names can be used.

But the Admins are busy. Pretty sure PlayTech employees have a 20-hour work week. And there's the sauna, ping-pong tournament, and company picnic. You know, executive stuff.

In addition to @Nocturne, you can also PM the other two Admins we have: @Mike and @ShaunJS. They are both active, and they deal with members.
I figure any change would be a fight with automation. I mean if there is a way to change names then cool, but most sites dont allow it because its ingrained in the regsitration process, and playtech are not really the card holders of the software, its 3rd party so I dont really understand how thats going to work out. But yeah, they might be able to pull strings on their end I guess.

And watch what you say chance. Might end up with a "uses construct" rep :p lol

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Is it less of a mess than manually going through a data base for everyone that makes this request?
Actually, if I'm not mistaken, username change is a feature of the forum software and it requires no manual access to database whatsoever. I mean, I don't see a reason why admins wouldn't have a built-in tool for changing names, and I can see at least one strong reason why they would - if someone carelessly used an offensive username, they would need to be deleted or have the name changed directly in database, with both options being a pain.

There were username changes available on IPB (I had mine changed, for instance), so I don't see why Xenforo wouldn't have this implemented. In fact, Xenforo seems to account for username changes better than IPB, because when I use user mention like @Roa, it automatically changes it to an id-based user link that stays valid even if the name is changed. On IPB, you would have "member = someone", and if someone changed their username, the link would be broken.

For admins, changing the username is probably just as much effort as removing the duplicate account, and there's no additional database clutter involved.

Reactions: Roa

RekNepZ

GMC Historian
There were username changes available on IPB (I had mine changed, for instance)
I'm curious now...

Also, why can't moderators change people's usernames? I'm sure there's a good reason, but it seems rather inefficient to require people to contact YYG employees rather than community members. (To be fair, though, the YYG staff pretty much are members of the community).

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Also, why can't moderators change people's usernames? I'm sure there's a good reason, but it seems rather inefficient to require people to contact YYG employees rather than community members.
I don't know specific reasons, but username changes generally make larger impact than dealing with single posts or threads; maybe not as large as banning, but that tool is used with caution.

Either way, I suppose having a wide range of people with username-changing power holds the risk that there will be slightly different username change policies. I believe it's generally preferable that username change is considered something so big that it can be used only in rare cases, and for good reasons (especially if someone is known by the old username for a while). Having more people decide when exactly a username change is a viable option or not is asking for trouble, I think.

Roa

yeah, I just recently saw lonewolff changed back from Jas so it's there.

Last edited:

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Okay, first of all... I was on holiday recently and had a massive backlog of PM's when I came back (30+). I revised most of them and replied to some, and others I filed under "later"... I suspect that the username change was filed there and then promptly forgotten! So, sorry about that, and I'll go through them all later at lunchtime when I've finished my morning's work.

Secondly, we DO permit username changes but only once every so often (like once a year or so). We try to avoid it simply because changing usernames can be confusing to other members and can also reduce accountability for issues. As for moderators being able to change names, it's an Admin only feature of the forums, and tbh, I don't get that many requests... :)

A

Aura

Xenforo allows Admins to change usernames. And it is nothing like having to go through the entire user database. It is as simple as changing the custom title and each profile page has got options that Admins can use to alter user details, so nothing *that* difficult... ^^

Also, @KingdomOfGamez, you are right. Links to member profiles are handled ID-wise on Xenforo. So, for instance, the following link:

https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?members/nocturne.621/

...would still lead to *your* profile, because it'd use the ID (621) to redirect to your profile, not the (invalid; already taken) username "nocturne" -- so that's one of the things I like about Xenforo. ^^

S

Shihaisha

If reading PMs is so much hassle, maybe there should be an open thread with requests for username changes (and rules/conditions for such requests), and any admin that has free time could check it? I have been waiting for 4 days, and still no reply. :/

Last edited by a moderator:

Llama_Code

In my opinion, Username change may cause issues and a lot of bugs, In my w.i.p website The Username is the keyword for data fetching and I think changing the username may cause errors, Specially it is in the URL and changing the username
needs some dynamic way to change Everything related to the username, I had this error when I was using JSON for
storing data, But when I used MySQL I get less errors but it is still a risk to change a username, But I believe it will not cause an error if the ID included in the URL like "kingdomofgamez.621"
mine is 621 and this is[I THINK] is the keyword for data fetching.
Ya using the user name as your unique identifier is a bad idea and is the wrong way to handle that. You should be using a user ID.

A

Aura

If reading PMs is so much hassle, maybe there should be an open thread with requests for username changes (and rules/conditions for such requests), and any admin that has free time could check it?
I disagree. Cases as crucial as username changes should be handled privately and individually by administrators. If a topic is created for that purpose, more and more people are likely to get encouraged to get theirs changed; that is not something that the staff would want. Creates way too much of mess and confusion (particularly if you're an active member). Either way, usernames should be decided carefully, so it's your (no offense) mistake; not the staff's.

I have been waiting for 4 days, and still no reply. :/
Perhaps leave him another message or contact @ShaunJS or @Mike. But you should probably simply wait. Nocturne has already clarified the delay.

A

ArchAngel

Hi! I really need an username change. I ended up puting my real name and i want to change to a proper nickname!
Please help admin

A

Aura

Hi! I really need an username change. I ended up puting my real name and i want to change to a proper nickname!
Please help admin
You should contact an administrator (@Nocturne) privately and request a username change. Send him a PM by going to his profile and using the Start a Conversation option. Or simply use this link.

If you've already sent the PM, please wait for some time (at least a couple of days) before sending a message again, for everything takes its time. Be patient.