• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

HTML5 Lab Security

Zodaris

itchio cover image.png

You can play Lab Security in these places:
http://www.kongregate.com/games/LunarBoltGames/lab-security
https://lunarboltgames.itch.io/lab-security-free

Lab Security is a top-down shooter where you, the player, have to fight through and clear out the hacked lab security systems. There are also traps and obstacles that will hinder the way. Get through all 30 levels to win! For each level, you get 1 star for beating it, 1 for clearing out all enemies (mines don't count), and 1 star for not taking any damage.

Controls:
WASD or Arrow Keys for movement
Mouse for aiming and shooting
R to reset level
P to pause

Screenshots:
Screen_1.png
Screen_5.png
Screen_6.png

Thanks for your time! Hope you guys enjoy my first full game!

Last edited:

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
So far I've played the first 5-6 levels on Kongregate in two separate visits, thanks to your online system for remembering my last completed level. The game plays smoothly and without any errors or glitches. Here are some thoughts:

Gameplay
The good news is that the gameplay feels very familiar. After a short intro story, I was able to begin playing immediately, without any confusion about the game's objective or how the controls worked.

The bad news is that the gameplay feels very familiar. The first 4 levels or so felt nearly identical. Pretty much the same difficulty, the same challenge of pressing the button to open doors, and the same challenge of shooting those bug-eyed mice creatures. So I lost interest and stopped playing.

But after looking more closely at the screenshots here, I decided the higher levels might offer something different. So I played a few more levels. And yes, the challenges became a bit more varied. So I suppose my main suggestion is to offer players some glimpse of variety earlier in the game. Otherwise, you risk losing players after a few levels because they think the game is too repetitious.

In terms of detail, this is fairly good. The controls are smooth and intuitive, they work for both left- and right-handed players, and they need no explanation. Likewise, completing each level seems intuitive: press button to open door, dodge or kill the attacking mice, avoid the cannon shots, and get to the next portal. Hopefully, the higher levels will offer more challenging puzzles.

Graphics
The graphical style is good enough. Nothing really unexpected -- mostly circle and square shapes with neutral colors. It's a style one sees a lot these days, but there's nothing wrong with it. Frankly, I'd rather play a game with this style, than with a highly pixelated style where objects are barely recognizable. My only suggestion would be to consider ways to add some sense of depth. Maybe a little background shading to suggest lighting? Maybe some shadows to give a sense of mood? Nothing dynamic, necessarily. Just something to break the sense of flatness and uniformity.

Sound
The soundscape is OK. But the game could use some work here. Other than the shots and the few explosions, there's not much going on aurally. You could add door sounds, and maybe some background themes. And those bug-eyed mice could make some sounds with they attack and feast on your dead body.

Overall
I enjoyed this. It is fairly well made. And the automatic level-save system makes it easy to resume gameplay. Nothing really jumps out at me as imaginative or out of the ordinary. But the gameplay is solid and entertaining. So I'm planning to play a few more levels. And I'd recommend this to others.

Last edited:

Zodaris

Thank you for such a thorough review! Yeah I can see how I may have went a little too noob friendly on the first few levels. I guess the best way to describe the difficulty curve, is to say the first 10 levels are beginner, the next 10 are intermediate, and the last 10 are expert mode (I tried to put in extra effort to make the last few levels very difficult without it being unfair to the player).

Yeah the sound was being difficult because I found out after I implemented it that it wouldn't work with HTML5 and I had to use the legacy sound code. On some browsers some of the background songs don't play. (I suggest muting the music, then unmuting it using the music icon in the top corner. Every time it starts a random song. So hopefully it'll play one that'll work.) And some sounds I had to just take out because it just couldn't work. Doors do have sound, but to further help the sound system work I made it so sounds don't play when off of screen. You'll be near some opening doors later in the game and you'll hear it then.

I'm glad you enjoyed it! And thanks again for the review, this kind of feedback is awesome and way more useful than "It was good".

I actually now plan to make a desktop version of this game now. Maybe I'll add a level editor or something. I'll try to fix some of these things for that version. Give it some polish in the graphics area, I have some ideas for shading I want to try now. The sound is all ready to go for that version (as I just saved the code instead of flat out replacing it with the legacy sound code). I probably won't full on change any of the levels, but I'll look into maybe some small changes to make them a little more interesting.

K12gamer

Great game...Everything runs very smoothly.
I like the music / sound effects.

Enemy sprites are very creative...(They look like mechanical spiders).

I like how you have your Pause / Menu set up.
Maybe you could put your Pause / Menu system into a short tutorial resource game for GM Marketplace?
I'd buy it.

dannerz

How did you make the music? I'm on level 8 now. did you actually compose the melodies or did you mix it using pre made loops of sound?

dannerz

Ok, i read the credits. So it was composed by some guy. Do you know him at all?
Why no powerups on the game? Later will you make a lab security 2 ?

Zodaris

Thanks for playing it @dannerz ! I figured this thread was lost to the depths of the forum.

Yeah I used free to use music. I do not know the guy personally. The music I used is actually wider spread than you'd think. A lot of his stuff (including the main song of my game) are actually on a list of free to use songs YouTube provides to help out creators with background music for their videos. There's no powerups because I didn't make any. My goal was to create a full game. I guess in my quest for keeping it simple I left out a lot of potentially good stuff like powerups. (To be honest I don't think I even considered adding powerups to it.)

As for a Lab Security 2, I'd say that's very unlikely. Maybe someday far down the line it might be fun to make something in tribute to "my first finished game" but I doubt it.

I got a couple other games in the works though. Like I just started work on a RTS that I've been wanting to do. And it'll be leagues better than this game here.

josk

Great little game, runs good, like the graphics and music.
look forward to your next game.

I have set myself the goal of a completed game, so seeing this will give me a push.