• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Alpha Roguelike Dungeon

CloseRange

Dungeon Crawler v0.15

This is my 14th update of my dev log. (Oops forgot a few updates on the forums:p)
For the first time ever online, my beautiful angel voice is revealed!
Because I haven't been updating my game lately I thought you guys might appreciate some nicer content so here I give you a voice over!

Sorry near the middle the audio and video go a bit out of sync.

As for the actual update I now added a few new spells and made it a bit cleaner, but most of this video is just me explaining how the system works.
My 11th day into developing a Dungeon Crawler. Still setting up spells. I decided on a system where you collect scrolls and equip them to gain their effect. There are 3 kinds of scrolls, a main scroll, a secondary, and a passive. The only scroll in right now is this passive scroll. Some scrolls will come in differant colors (like this one) and some scrolls will be able to be bought at shops (not implemented yet)
My 10th day into developing a Dungeon Crawler. Decided it was time to start working on some of the more tedious and long going processes in my game, spells and attacks. I just made this just to get some of the systems working and make sure I could actually implement more spells in the future. If you have ideas for spells let me know!
My 9th day into developing a Dungeon Crawler. Was getting tired of finding music for every video so now the game has a permanate sound track (until I find a better one) and small sounds that play when you interact with items.
My eighth day into developing a Dungeon Crawler. Was working on making a way to descend down to lower floors of the game. This required a bit of rewriting on old code because of how I went about restarting the level before. Now it is working perfectly. I also made it so that the light in the room is randomized as well (including color and brightness) at some time I'll expand on this and make it so other factors change like how big the floor is or how many rooms there are on a given floor.
My seventh day into developing a Dungeon Crawler.
I was finding the rooms I had to get a bit old (due to me working with them so much probobly) so I decided to spice things up a bit! I added 2 new rooms: The Kitchen and The Ruins.
I also made a quick update to the cursor image on request of @Felix-The-Ghost
If anyone has suggestions about what I should do, add, or change; please let me know. I look at all the messages and consider all of them as well.
My sixth day into developing a Dungeon Crawler. Sorry for the long delay on a video. With new years and girl problems I didn't have any time to work. None the less I have now created items for the player. So far there are only a hand full but I do like the type of system I made.
Got interactive objects to work. Having problems though where the game will crash every 10 or so runs of the room. This is caused by running an impossible loop. I'm working on a fix but it's hard because it's caused when there is nowhere to create keys, but you need keys to open doors so it's I can't just not make even one key.
Had some fun playing with lighting scripts. It isn't good right now but I have the engine for lighting figured out and working and that's what's important. I'll probably edit the lighting as I go along in the development so expect it to only get better.
I got some player animations in the game along with collisions with walls. I'm now starting to work on a lighting system to make the overall atmosphere gloomier.
Just finished updating most of the graphics. Still have to add a player and items. Overall I'm liking the look of it.
I've been working on my first Rouglike/dungeon crawler style game. It was hard to setup because I've never done procedural generation before so I had to work on making my own system.

Follow the Devlog Here

What's next?
-Add a dialog box.
-Enemies
-Shop keeper
-Updated Room generation

Download Link v0.3
Controls:
W-A-S-D: Move
f1 - fullscreen
f4 - restart room
F-G-H: Play animations

Last edited:
Hey,

This looks really great so far! I am a big fan of roguelikes so I will be keeping my eye on this one. Looking forward to seeing this develop more and eventually giving it some playtime.

CloseRange

Hey,

This looks really great so far! I am a big fan of roguelikes so I will be keeping my eye on this one. Looking forward to seeing this develop more and eventually giving it some playtime.
Thank you! I personally haven't played any before so I had to do "research" on these types of games. I've been finding them really fun to play :D

CloseRange

@NicoFIDI thank's for at least trying, even if it didn't work :confused: I'm guessing it had to do with the game starting in full-screen so i just updated the link so now it starts in windowed. If you want to go to full screen hit f1 and if you want to restart the room hit f4.

As for the algorithm: I didn't really use one. I made my own script based on how I think dungeon crawlers work.
If you want I can go into more detail about what I did but the gist is this: the game is divided into a grid of 10x10 "rooms" that are 4x4 "cells" each. (each cell is 32 by 32 pixels). Each room has the chance to being fully connected to the adjacent room (this causes the rooms to look different sizes).

Edit: the new download link is also a sneak preview to today's update so it's slightly altered from what my post says now

Tried it out, the basics seem to work; I also quite like the art style, it really fits the rogue-like genre. I would say maybe add different room sizes, but I'm sure you will implement that in future releases ;) It's honestly too early for me to comment on this further because it is still in a very early development stage.

CloseRange

Tried it out, the basics seem to work; I also quite like the art style, it really fits the rogue-like genre. I would say maybe add different room sizes, but I'm sure you will implement that in future releases ;) It's honestly too early for me to comment on this further because it is still in a very early development stage.
Thank's for the insight! I know the generation isn't the best and the way I have it set up now doesn't allow for "differant" sized rooms. I can make all rooms bigger or all smaller but because it's in a grid I can't really make a full on different sized room but I have been working on the code to try and at least create the illusion of different sized rooms

Looks cool, I like the art style and the proc gen stuff is always neat. Not sure how you have it setup, but you could make your individual 'square rooms' have varied walls inside to achieve the different sized rooms. But, even if you didn't I still like it. The room layouts remind me the original Legend of Zelda, which (to me) is an awesome thing!

CloseRange

Looks cool, I like the art style and the proc gen stuff is always neat. Not sure how you have it setup, but you could make your individual 'square rooms' have varied walls inside to achieve the different sized rooms. But, even if you didn't I still like it. The room layouts remind me the original Legend of Zelda, which (to me) is an awesome thing!
Thanks for the advice, I've been messing around with the algorithms and I have been trying what you mentioned. So far it's working but is causing a few other problems but they should easily be ironed out. Also, I'll be honest, I never had the pleasure of playing the original Zelda games (really wanted to though)

S

StoneTide

This looks like it has a lot of potential, I like the art style and lighting. Keep it up!

E

Earth Traveler

This is looking really good. I'll be looking forward to seeing where it progresses from here.

CloseRange

Hey thanks, hopping I don't dissapoint . Sorry for the lack of updates on the forums. Have been to busy too keep both the videos and the forums updated but I havn't stopped progress

CloseRange

I wanted to say sorry for the slow updates still trying to find time to pick up the pace.

Wanted to make this updated because you all can now hear my awesome voice!!!