• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Team Request Looking for programmer to collab on Bat Game (Collaborator Found!)

M

Melazee

Hi Game Maker forums!

About the game

Bats are sick of being the villain in games... they just want to be heroes!

A few months ago, I came up with a rough prototype for a simple side scrolling game, where you play as a bat. You eat food and dodge enemies in order to increase your score - hitting certain scores will unlock different bat species and environments. I was intending to put the game on Steam and mobile, but I'm actually pretty shocking at code, and all I really want to do is focus on the art and animation to make it top-notch. I had reached a point where my ability with Game Maker code just couldn't keep up with the ideas I wanted to implement, so I was wondering if anyone here would like to collaborate on this game, making it play and look awesome!

I have never released an indie game before, so I don't know much about the process of getting it onto the store so if anyone is clued up about this stuff and can code, even better!

The Prototype

Here is a video of where I got up to with the game:

My idea was to make the background procedurally generated, because I didn't want to paint a really long background. Issue with this is that it looks obviously procedurally generated, so I would need some way of making it look more random.

I want to give the bat special powerups and such too, although I couldn't quite figure out how to implement them.

Here is a concept for how I wanted my first level to look - it's Ghibli/Disney inspired, since I really love the aesthetic:

About Me
I am currently an Associate Lecturer in Games Art, but previous to that, I worked in the games industry for 3 and a half years as a character artist. Feel free to check my portfolio for my work/credentials!

http://yasmin-down.artstation.com/

I have an obsession with bats. I love them, and they deserve to be the hero in a game for a change!

Well, I hope someone is interested in this and wants to work with me on it! It'll be a fun little project, nothing hugely serious, but hopefully we can get something on the store from it :)

dphsw

Hello Yasmin, I like the idea of a bat-themed game, it reminds me of Apidya on the Amiga where the hero was a wasp. I'd like to work along with you on it. I'm not very good at graphics myself, I usually use programming to try to get round it! If you look at my game below, you can see some of the stuff I can program (though I haven't updated the online version for a while - like I've made a Perlin noise shader since then to make the clouds look more realistic and make the levels look like they're made out of wood). Anyway, I look forward to hearing from you if you're willing to work with me.

M

Melazee

Hi, thanks very much for the reply! I'll send you a PM now :)