• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Windows Turbo Pug Park: has a greater variety of platforms

RangerX

I feel it should be the sleigh ride that leads the speed of the level, not the pug.
I don't know, just my honest feeling. It looks wierd when you accelerate and brake and you see the sleigh do the same. It removes all the "chasing" feeling.

I feel it should be the sleigh ride that leads the speed of the level, not the pug.
I don't know, just my honest feeling. It looks wierd when you accelerate and brake and you see the sleigh do the same. It removes all the "chasing" feeling.
That was a work in progress, so yes it was tied to the speed of the pug. I made that so I didn't have to animate the scene. That week of work will be removed and forgotten about. Maybe next year when the game is released I'll make that a special bonus. On the plus side, I have auto scrolling levels and levels that don't let you go back like Mario 1.

Since I made an auto scroller for the Christmas sleigh, I fleshed it out with four varieties.

- Level auto scrolls and lets you run at your own pace, but there is no going back. This was the Santa's Sleigh method.
- Level does not auto scroll, but you can't go back. Like Super Mario 1.
- Level auto scrolls and traps you within the screen so you go at the scroller's pace.
- Turbo Pug scroller. Player has no control over movement... only run and jump. Screen maintains player's pace.

Getting crushed by the scroller and a solid object kills the player. The Turbo Pug scroller doesn't kill the player since the player never actually gets crushed.

At the end of each of the rooms with scrollers, they stop and let the player do whatever, exit the screen, go through a door. Even the Turbo Pug scroller lets the player have control again.

I have it set up in such a way that the screens can scroll any direction at any speed, but I haven't tested it yet. I can add other things in a room where if they come into the screen they'd trigger the scroller to do something else, but that might be more than necessary for this game.

- Modified coins to be pulled to the player if the player is using turbo boost and close enough to the player (5 tiles away). This makes turbo boost far more useful.
- Modified coin code... because 800+ coins in 1 long room slowed things down. The cool side effect is they turn more uniformly.

In this video, its the Turbo Pug scroller with run and jump enabled... and pits... lots of pits. Anyway you'll see the coins pulled into the pug:

SECRET SANTA OUTFITS

Here on the Yoyogames forum, there was a Secret Santa. My Santa gave me a slide show of pugs. So to immortalize that gift / steal from it, I made 2 new pug costumes. The unicorn and the sheep:

TURBO PUG CLASSIC CLONE

Last night I took the new auto scroller, specifically the Turbo Pug style auto scroller that removes the player's ability to do anything but jump and run, then made a mechanism to generate terrain. I've made other level generators in the past, enough to make entire Mega Man style levels, but in this case, it generates terrain as you play. Then when you die, it clears everything and starts over.

At the moment, its just white terrain without the tiles on it:

I will still keep the version that doesn't generate terrain as that will be good for bonus stages.

It was a busy two days.

TURBO PUG CLASSIC CONTINUES

The infinite runner continued to make progress, but its still imperfect as it keeps generating a level without dumping parts of the level the player has ran past. It seems like my tile system fails to assign tiles after the player runs so far. Another issue is turbo lets you break crates... stopping turbo prevents you from breaking crates which gets you stuck. All things that will get fixed.

NEW MOVING PLATFORM SYSTEM

I made a new moving platform system that allows platforms to move without the aide of a track. The platforms can also move smoother allowing for elaborate movement such as circular motions.

NEW TEMPORARY BLOCKS

To go along with the new platform system, there are poof clouds that disappear nearly immediately when you touch them, drop blocks that will fall if you stand on them for a second and bubbles that bounce when you pop them from above. Spawners can now spawn any type of platform or enemy. There were enemy spawners before, and platform spawners that made one type, but now this encompasses them both.

NEW SPRING BOARDS

There was one old springboard, now there are 3. Surprise springboards that pop out of the ground when you walk on them. Typical springboards and launchers that work when you hold down. The longer you hold down, the higher you launch:

M

Moises Abraham

Very nice and cute game mate ^^ you have such beautiful graphics there, however, just a small feedback, on the jumping there is 2 frames, one for rising and one for falling, you could add a frame between these two as a transition between them, it would be much more smoothier, and place that new frame when the pug is near 0 vertical speed while in the air :D

M

Moises Abraham

@Moises Abraham I took what you said and added an extra frame of animation at the height of jumps:

Im glad to be helpful! It is very nice. Btw I think you should consider making the transition frame to me shown on a smaller ammount of vertical speed... o perhaps even slightly increasing the gravity acceleration of your game (I would rather do this, but it can heavily affect the feel of your gameplay, which Im not sure if its the best on your point of view). Oh, and try to change the pivot of the transition frame, make the transition frame 1 or 2 pixels forward in the x axis relative to the other jumping sprites, I think it would look more natural ^^

Did I see on Twitter that this is ending up on the Switch now?
If so....congrats.

And also, how? It's a GM game, right?
You never, ever saw that from me. I need to look around who said that. The publisher and I have discussed that, but well YoyoGame's official stance is "stay tuned." I'd need to port everything over to a different engine, but this engine has been worked on for 14 months.

Perhaps the original Turbo Pug or one of its spin offs is going to Switch. * edit * Looks like Turbo Pug DX is going to the Switch. I guess I'll go sit in a corner... and not be on the Switch or spend the next year learning a different engine to make my own platformer again.

Other incorrect things I've heard about my games include the original game Foxland was going to Kickstarter... which nope, it never was going to Kickstarter.

Last edited:
You never, ever saw that from me. I need to look around who said that. The publisher and I have discussed that, but well YoyoGame's official stance is "stay tuned." Last I heard the original game Foxland was going to Kickstarter... which nope, it never was going to Kickstarter.
Yeah, I knew it wasn't you I heard it from. Must've been your publisher, then. That did confuse me a bit. Just saw it fly by on my Twitter feed, and then an hour later, I was like "wait a second, I know that guy," hahah!

Yeah, I knew it wasn't you I heard it from. Must've been your publisher, then. That did confuse me a bit. Just saw it fly by on my Twitter feed, and then an hour later, I was like "wait a second, I know that guy," hahah!
I might actually hit 200 followers in the next month. * edit * Looks like I hit 202 followers with the following image.

Speaking of numbers... its good to meet another person over a century old!

While I'm here I might as well post a new transition to get some feedback:

* edit * Updated the demo video to phase 7 in the original post that started this 2 months ago. The real changes include different enemy sprites and visual enhancements:

* edit * Wow that hydrant is giant... time to make it smaller. Done.

Last edited:
The previous image seems to have a lot of comments... for my posts. Its always the Friday post that outshines the Saturday post.

So this is what happened this week:

COLORED STOMP SWITCHES

You stomp a color's switch and that color's hollow blocks become solid. Solid blocks from other colors then become transparent. Also seen here is spike surprises that come out of the ground after they flash:

GYRO PLATFORMS (ROTATING PLATFORMS)

I suppose to test my slope system, I made a quick rotating platform system. A screw was added to show the central point of each rotating platform. It works, but with issues as it doesn't push the player like on a treadmill as it rotates, plus the player drops onto the platform. These will take more effort:

CLASSIC INFINITE RUNNER MODE NOW HAS INTERIORS

In the interest of diversity, there are now interiors. This will need to be tweaked as eventually there gets to be a 2 frame drop every time new terrain is generated:

hogwater

Those rotating platforms are impressive. Hopefully one day I'll understand collisions well enough to do that.