GMC Jam Discussion The Post-Apocalyptic GMC Jam #1 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sirham

Only if you play a pong with Snake. On a plane. From 1945.

Also, you don't even know the theme yet... ^^'
Screw the rules. I've got money. No wait... I'm poor. Better wait for the theme :p

S

Snail Man

REPLAY would be a cool theme imo, depending on how you interpret it.
So Gnomes 2?

I really hope I can make something good. It looks like the time where I'll be able to devote my entire focus to the game will last maybe 12 hours :/

RekNepZ

GMC Historian
When will voting end? I'm going out of town the day after the jam and will be gone for most of the two weeks after.

G

GVmG

So Gnomes 2?

I really hope I can make something good. It looks like the time where I'll be able to devote my entire focus to the game will last maybe 12 hours :/
There's different ways it could be interpreted.

The three main ones I got are:
1. a platformer where you have to position the player in a certain spot then "replay" the level and use the "old" player to get to places where you couldn't get before
2. a shooter kind of like Time Rifters, you basically get as far as you can in a level, then replay it together with your past clone to get farther.
3. a platformer like This is The Only Level, where the level is the same all the time, but now and then there are random gimmicks that affect the player so that the level has to be played differently.

Jett

Digital Artist
Or have the game to be replayable so the player can play as many times as he/she wants. :p

ghandpivot

Found a key for "Really Big Sky" laying around, found that game to be quite fun. Add that to the 4th place if you're still taking submissions for prices.

Edit: I'll do something else :)

Micah_DS

Ah, wait a minute.... when I said FEELER, I was thinking of something that evokes emotion from the player.... but, um.... . . . oh.

The M

Feeling the hype here!
As it's the tenth GMC Jam I'm participating in, I'm offering 10€ worth of steam games to the winner!

Micah_DS

I'll even make a thing out of my guesses, cuz I can:
ERADIATION
TRAVESTIES
TRAUMATIZE

PRANKSTERS
But I think I like this better than my guesses.
On this note, it might not be all that creative, but I suddenly have an urge to do some kind of "TP the house" game where you have to TP a house fully and can't get shot by the house owner..... sounds like a good time.

Last edited:

Jett

Digital Artist
From what others said I think the theme is most likely TRAJECTORY OR TRANSITION.
I predict @Alice will reveal the first letter "T" for this word as revealing other letters would confirm which one is it.

W

WRLCK

Hey everyone!
I've participated in various game jams with some of my entries actually ended up being quite (dare I say) popular using GameMaker, but I have never participated in a GMC jam before. So I guess its about time I finally jam with the amazing people from the community whence I started. :)

Btw, we're allowed to use any GM version, right?

N

Nexusrex

Adding to Alice's post, The M (in the last jam) did use GM8 or GM8.1 (I can't remember) for the entry.

The M

I've been using GM 8.1 for a long time now, never were very fond of some of Studio's quirks. I've upgraded my computer now, however, so I no longer have a GM 8 license which means this'll be my first real game made with GM:S!

ghandpivot

I'd love to be able to get my hands on GM 8 again to get some features that Studio is missing. I had a DLL which allowed me to run games directly on top of the desktop which made for some crazy stuff and interesting games. Sadly, that's no longer working.

C

ConsolCWBY

Someday, I'd love to participate, but until then:
GOOD LUCK, EVERYONE!

M

MikeDark_x

bracketing
brainstems
brainstorm
craniotomy
crassitude
draughtier
draughting
eradiating
fraughting
graduating
graduation
graduators
graffitist
grandstand
graphitize
gratuitous
gravestone
orangutans
pragmatics
pragmatism
pragmatist
pranksters
trajecting
trajection
trajectory
transiting
transition
transitive
transitory
traumatise
traumatism
traumatize
hmm any other words? ... oh yea there's also travestite...

Well, Orangutans would make a great theme.

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
We're closing in onto the theme voting, and because of that, another reveal for the longest theme:
- - - R - - - - - _ - S - - - A -

Note: the underscore is supposed to represent a space, and the dashes are unknown letters now. As it turned out earlier on, this software doesn't like multiple spaces in a row. :<

L

Lukas

I'm only going to be home for one day during the jam... This should be interesting.

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Don't worry. One Jam, I made a game in ~3 hours and got 40th place out of 56. If you get the right idea, you can make something neat even in that one day. ;)

(I guess it also depends on whether that one day is near the beginning or the end of the Jam; if the latter, you might get some time for brainstorming, too...)

S

Snail Man

I'mma only get ~12 hours on Sunday for the jam. It won't be one of my most innovative games, but maybe I can whip up something fun

C

CoderJoe

Counting the days! I'm ready for this jam (meaning I have my dubstep playlist ready and lots of paper for brainstorming). When will we know the themes? The day of the jam right?

M

MikeDark_x

Counting the days! I'm ready for this jam (meaning I have my dubstep playlist ready and lots of paper for brainstorming). When will we know the themes? The day of the jam right?
I think I'm almost ready, I mean I have the coffee, some bread and have been drawing a lot of random stuff just in case I can use it in the jam... and by a lot I mean I surprised myself with the ammount, I probably have been a little bit inspired this time
building_set.png

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
When will we know the themes? The day of the jam right?
The themes will be known sometime tomorrow, a day before the Jam starts, so that people will vote for the theme they like the most.

The theme, however, the one to win the voting, will be known at the day of the Jam as you say.

Speaking of the themes, one last letter reveal; after that, the voting will commence:

E - - R - - - - - _ - S - - - A -

I can tell that the previous two themes already appeared *somewhere* in your guesses, but this one, so far, has not. Can you guess it before the time runs out?

O

Otyugra

I bet the first letter of the second word is a vowel. Not many words have "s" as a second letter of a word without the first being a vowel.

Status
Not open for further replies.