Alpha GMC marines

Roa

GMC MARINES

This is my new and dedicated work in progress title, currently labeled GMC marines. The project goal is to have a halo/timesplitters esque multiplayer fps experience with focus on a multiplayer head to head vs with various game modes, and a co-op mode of collecting resources and building a base that you must defend from invaders.

read more:
Most of the design pieces are already completed in other gmz files and Its mostly a matter of merging my works together. Networking is in the works and guns are being added and designed currently. It's not yet playable, but I do have some run-able copies if you want to check it out. Movement is a little stiffer than my other stuff, but everything is subject to change. Right now, I'm just looking for people to fire it up and tell me if they notice any weird FPS drops or if things start to feel sluggish. I'm just throwing this up on here so I may get some feedback and keep moral high.

Current features are test limited: All works are subject to change as I tweak and drop features in. I hope this will be a rapid development with most of my assets taken from my other projects.

On a side note, I'm using the bullet physics DLL for the fastest and minimalist overhead collisions and art assets compliments of our lovely @Yal which wrap up the visions in seeing this project through to the end.​

Last edited:

slojanko

This looks really interesting and has potential. Just don't go down the same path every other first person 3d game with billboards went. Try to be original with your design and gameplay. At the moment it reminds me of Star Wars for some reason - maybe it's the laser blasters you got.

Also nice use of bullet physics but you can get a lot more from it (not just rays). Honestly, I'm sure it's a pain to get the physics to work because GM has absolutely no support for it. This where I can say you would have a far better environment for 3d games if you picked almost any other game engine. If I compare it to other games made with GM though, I'd say you can make something way above average!

Roa

This looks really interesting and has potential. Just don't go down the same path every other first person 3d game with billboards went. Try to be original with your design and gameplay. At the moment it reminds me of Star Wars for some reason - maybe it's the laser blasters you got.

Also nice use of bullet physics but you can get a lot more from it (not just rays). Honestly, I'm sure it's a pain to get the physics to work because GM has absolutely no support for it. This where I can say you would have a far better environment for 3d games if you picked almost any other game engine. If I compare it to other games made with GM though, I'd say you can make something way above average!
The bullet physics library dll actually only allows access to collisions and not actual physics properties. But the collisions are honestly all I wanted and if need be, I can fake physics. I plan to have it playable in the next day or so. The net framework is all there save some masking with collisions. I don't have health depletion because there are no collisions with bullets, and currently I'm working on the GUI so people can get in game. Working with player profiles, settings, networking settings and I have to make some sort of ip/port hasher so people can post link codes that others can use, without actually revealing their IP and ports. Once I get those things done, all I really have to do is throw the networking over top of it, make rules for some team death match and a few varieties of guns, and it's on it's way. I'm pretty motivated this time now that I have some assets to work with. My biggest road block is worrying about how nicely the collisions and networking will play with each other. This DLL has some weird ways of tackling what can share collisions with what.

Last edited:
C

CamperLv

I'm always interested in game maker 3d fps game. Definitely gonna try it.

Edit: Ehh... Just Tech demo. -.- Anyway i'm still interested in this project

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HairyWizard

is it playable now ? and where can i download it from sorry i'm just a noob

Roa

its playable in the sense that it runs. No game attatched to it, but I'm working dilligently on it. I posted in hopes it would keep me motivated and so far it has. Its just test stuff for now. download button is there on the first comment, both under the pic and at the bottom of the post. I should be rolling out an update here soon.

Last edited:

KurtBlissZ

I worked on a Online Game Maker FPS game before, I ended up using extreme physics for just the server to handle collisions bullet collisions.
I always love GM FPS games, probably a big part that helped me stick with Game Maker. Interested to see how everything runs once you get the online part in.

The bullet collisions are solid... The decals of them hitting the wall needs work, though can't say I have a solution, I have just kind of snapped the bullets with the wall before, while most of the time it looks right, sometimes it gets off depending where you're shooting parts of the wall from. Only time I seen good shooting effects for hitting the wall was with P3DC for game maker, though it's kind of challenging to use, at least for me, you have to use one level model for that engine.

Anyway, can't wait to start playing this whenever you get around to releasing an update.

for the bullet hit spots, just get the normals of the 3d surface and use that to rotate it
they look kinda funny right now

Roa

lol, eveyone keeps mentioning the "bullet holes". I know I can fetch the normals and decal them on. The problem is, they aren't technically bullet holes, at least not originally. :p They are puffs of smoke and debris that I froze from animating so that I could see exactly where the collisions stop and register.

@KurtBlissZ I actually find P3DC to be far more intuitive and stream lined than the bullet physics library, but I'm trying to keep the speed up, and its significantly faster to use bullets. Tie in the fact that the players height checking and smoothness checking is completely garbage right now. I was having troubles with the multiple ray cast on the player (the reason I added the bullets as test) so the methods used are really inefficient. I box check like 20-60 times a frame, which needs to be fixed before I publish. Not an issue on my pc, but lower end things will not handle it well.
My methods didnt transfer well from p3dc to bullets because of how some of the tags and ray values are returned.

I currently got all the menus working, and after fighting my god awful modem into bridge mode, I can finally start testing the networking and adding it back in. I got it as far as waiting in player lobbies, so it's getting there.

Last edited:
M

Misty

Okay, this ran about 40-60 fps. The enemies would look cooler as monkey_dude's animated figure models, since the title is "gmc_marines" and everyone in the gmc used monkey_dude's figures, it would be a throwback.
But if you don't want to use monkey_dude's figures, at least make the enemies higher res looking, they are more pixellated than doom.
Also there was no jumping, and the bullets went through the floor with no collisions.

Roa

Okay, this ran about 40-60 fps. The enemies would look cooler as monkey_dude's animated figure models, since the title is "gmc_marines" and everyone in the gmc used monkey_dude's figures, it would be a throwback.
But if you don't want to use monkey_dude's figures, at least make the enemies higher res looking, they are more pixellated than doom.
Also there was no jumping, and the bullets went through the floor with no collisions.
The graphics were given too me, so I can't complain. Not 100% sure they fit the feel I was going for, but I like them. And IDK how many more FPS I'm going to squeeze out of this. It might gain something after the player collision optimization I have an options menu where you will be able to change max frames and resolution if it really becomes an issue after yoyo compile. There is a certain point where it's out of my hands though. My CPU doesn't even use 3% trying to cause stress in the worst areas, and usually hovers around 1.4%. Jumping will probably be coming with the rest of the movement tweaks.

Also the bottom floor is just because the bullets delete after going into negative z space. There is no coliider for the floor, so the rays dont perform their actions there.

Last edited:
The graphics were given too me, so I can't complain. Not 100% sure they fit the feel I was going for, but I like them. And IDK how many more FPS I'm going to squeeze out of this. It might gain something after the player collision optimization I have an options menu where you will be able to change max frames and resolution if it really becomes an issue after yoyo compile. There is a certain point where it's out of my hands though. My CPU doesn't even use 3% trying to cause stress in the worst areas, and usually hovers around 1.4%. Jumping will probably be coming with the rest of the movement tweaks.
You have to keep in mind that misty is running a computer from the medieval era

P

Paolo Mazzon

halo/timesplitters
Now there is a game I haven't heard anyone mention in at least 4 years. I love Future Perfect, so now I must play this.

EDIT: Gave it a go, and even though there is nothing really going on, solid framerate. On my (really) low end rig I clocked in at ~700 fps. I also like the NPCs flat like that, looks cool. Bullets look cool, but the decals are kind of weird. Pretty good thus far.

M

Misty

You have to keep in mind that misty is running a computer from the medieval era
There are computers much slower than mine that people play GMC games on.

Yeah, I know. I was trying to build for the lowest denominator here, but ...you can only do so much lol. People don't run on penitum 3s 512mbs ram anymore.
My computer is a dual core with 3 gb of ram. It also has an onboard Nvidia. 7 years ago, it was state of the art.

P

Paolo Mazzon

I don't mean to be an ass, but my computer isn't acceptable for gaming and my specs are almost double yours. When you run a rig as weak as what you and I run, you can't really go around complaining that people didn't optimize it well enough (With special cases, of course).

That said I find developing games better on a rig like mine since if it runs on mine, it'll run at least 80% of gamer's pcs.

Roa

I doubt that highly, cause my phone when I had sprite collisions was getting 250-300fps. My 50 dollar 4 year old hand set is beating your pc in performance. I would hate to imagine someone trying to run games on something slower than you have. You should give it the once over. Run some Ccleaner and advanced system care.

M

Misty

I don't mean to be an ass, but my computer isn't acceptable for gaming and my specs are almost double yours. When you run a rig as weak as what you and I run, you can't really go around complaining that people didn't optimize it well enough (With special cases, of course).

That said I find developing games better on a rig like mine since if it runs on mine, it'll run at least 80% of gamer's pcs.
But what about casual gamers? Surely casual gamers have pc's slower than mine? 7 years ago, my PC was state of the art. It could run Unreal Tournament and GM Doom clones at 60 fps. Why can't it run this game with only a couple blocks and 2 enemies at 60 fps? That's all I'm saying.

Roa

But what about casual gamers? Surely casual gamers have pc's slower than mine? 7 years ago, my PC was state of the art. It could run Unreal Tournament and GM Doom clones at 60 fps. Why can't it run this game with only a couple blocks and 2 enemies at 60 fps? That's all I'm saying.
Because gamemaker's overhead alone probably takes more CPU time than those games combined lol. There is a certain threshold where technology moves with the architectures it supports.

C

CamperLv

Guns looks ok, but will you apply texture to them? And HUD doesn't fit with other textures, looks too hd compared to pixel textures. And I expected weapon models to be sprites instead of 3d models. Oh and maybe make lasers invisible for first second, because it right now it doesn't look like bullets come from weapons.

Reactions: Roa

Roa

Guns looks ok, but will you apply texture to them? And HUD doesn't fit with other textures, looks too hd compared to pixel textures. And I expected weapon models to be sprites instead of 3d models. Oh and maybe make lasers invisible for first second, because it right now it doesn't look like bullets come from weapons.
Yeah, I'm caught in a weird place on the art style. I took gameplay into account over everything and now I have some clashing peices. I'm trying to learn some pixel art to make this not seem as half assed as it is. But... I'm programmer and problem solver. Not an artist.

KurtBlissZ

Everything looks a lot better to me. The Marines looks a lot better because of the newer textures too.
I notice you got no screenshots so (screenshot 1, screenshot 2). Just to let everyone know what we are talking about. I can't wait to see some gameplay.

Speaking of learning pixel art. I been following achebit's tutorials and I ended buying that Pyxel Edit program too that he uses. Might be useful.

Reactions: Roa

Roa

Everything looks a lot better to me. The Marines looks a lot better because of the newer textures too.
I notice you got no screenshots so (screenshot 1, screenshot 2). Just to let everyone know what we are talking about. I can't wait to see some gameplay.

Speaking of learning pixel art. I been following achebit's tutorials and I ended buying that Pyxel Edit program too that he uses. Might be useful.
Thanks for the help and support. I've been taking a break on it. Keeping my focus on it but Ive been dealing with life recently. I'll be back on it tomorrow an finish up the major netcode so it becomes playable.

M

Misty

Yeah, I'm caught in a weird place on the art style. I took gameplay into account over everything and now I have some clashing peices. I'm trying to learn some pixel art to make this not seem as half assed as it is. But... I'm programmer and problem solver. Not an artist.
Leonardo Da Vinci was both an engineer and an artist. Simply apply yourself, and great things will happen.

Is there another download link? This looks really cool and I have been trying to use P3DC for rotated collisions but it doesn't work properly.