• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

OFFICIAL Tech Blog : Introduction to Networking with GMS2

L

Lee Chisholm

https://www.yoyogames.com/blog/446/introduction-to-networking-in-gamemaker-studio-2

"This tech blog is a revision of the Introduction To Networking blog post, only updated for use with GameMaker Studio 2. In this blog we're going to give a brief overview of what networking is and how it can be achieved in GameMaker Studio 2. It is worth noting that to accompany this tech blog you can get a simple LAN Platformer Demo from the YoYo Games Markletplace. This demo shows the concepts that we'll discuss being used in a real game for you to study and learn from."

True Valhalla

Full-Time Developer
GMC Elder
Great post. I wish GMS networking wasn't so LAN-centric, though.

There are so many additional challenges to solve, such as hosting a GMS server, when you want to experiment beyond LAN support. Of course, you shouldn't be using a GMS server for a serious commercial product, but it's a huge jump for networking beginners to write/host their own server in another language & interface with a GMS client.

Being able to quickly setup an environment where 10-20 players can connect to a live server would be amazing, and you just can't do that with GMS easily. Anything beyond LAN is reserved for the top 0.01% of users even working at a small scale.

BMatjasic

It would be wonderful if GameMaker could support multi-threading or perhaps to run in a console without using graphics. That could be way easier for people to implement multiplayer in their games because writing a server in other programming languages can really be a struggle for a lot of Gamemaker users.

JeffJ

I suggested headless mode way back when GMS2 was still on the drawing board. It got declined back then, and I don't see it ever really happening. It just isn't a priority. But I hope to be proven wrong, as it would take a huge step towards actually making GM a viable tool to write your own server in.