Games you want to love, but just can't...

Niels

For me this is Nier:automata... I get the idea, and the vision and passion of the creator really shines through, but except for the really cool robot designs the game just won't click with me :(

D

Devonodev

Skyrim and every Fallout since 3. I get why they're so loved, but I just get so bored playing them.

G

Guest User

earlier Elder Scrolls and Fallout games.
Oblivion isn't bad, its just from that awkward point in 3D game development where everything manages to look worse than the low-poly stuff of earlier games, and it's hard for me to take seriously with all the weirdness that comes with that.
but for Morrowind, Fallout 1, and Fallout 2, i just abhor tabletop rulesets in otherwise real-time RPGs and--in the case of the fallouts--turn-based combat is the worst thing ever for me. just can't stand it for some reason.

and then System Shock 2. i know it's everyone's favorite but tbh the gameplay is pretty ugly. i feel like they somehow made it more frustrating to play than the first one.

0.Bytes

Final fantasy, dont get me wrong the all the games are amazing etc and etc, but those long cutscenes and long talks I just cant stand ... I really cannot play this game, I wish I loved, but I just can't =p

Gamebot

0.Bytes

Final fantasy, dont get me wrong all the games are amazing etc and etc, but those long cut scenes and long talks I just cant stand ... I really cannot play this game, I wish I loved, but I just can't =p
Perfect example!

Just curious to:
lite Dangerous...
I have 16 hours in it... It is sooo... Booring...
First few hours were fine, and then...
Why was it boring after the first few hours?

T

TheNoobHunter

Hearts of Iron IV. I really just don't have the time or patience to learn how to play it. Maybe someday.

JackTurbo

Also the banner saga... love the idea, but I can't get into the gameplay
NooooOOO. One of my all time favourite series'.

Mine is probably Spin Tires, I loved the idea of a really technical offroading sim that was truely hard... but I just ended up not enjoying it too much.

Or Crusader Kings. Everything I heard about it made it sound awesome and I tend to enjoy complicated games, but I just could not get into it.

All of the newer Paper Marios. The first two are on my top 10 games probably. Super Paper Mario was fun, though not the same. It's probably top 20, because of the story. After that... I just want to cry. I guess there's two of those and they're like... not interesting. They're not even RPGs anymore.

I once dreampt that Nintendo hired me and gave me full reign to make a new Paper Mario game however I wanted to. Yup. Best dream ever.

Maybe it doesn't count because those two are just bad games, but there is no series I want more to be able to love again. I'll just keep going back to the first three on my ancient Wii and play them over and over.

C

ChampionChains

Skyrim and every Fallout since 3. I get why they're so loved, but I just get so bored playing them.
Same here regarding Fallout. I loved Fallout 1 & 2, but when they moved away from 2D it felt like they really lost something that made the first two special. And I'm not saying it was the 2D art style, something else, something just isn't there for me anymore.

I've tried really hard to like Bioware games, but I just can't get behind the majority of them. I loved Neverwinter Nights, Dragon Age: Origins and Baldur's Gate but I think Bioware misses the mark with the vast majority of their games. I played Mass Effect 1-3 to completion, but honestly don't think they were anything above average titles. Same with the Star Wars games made by Bioware. The Knights of the Old Republic didn't feel like it existed in the Star Wars universe at all. It felt like a Star Wars ripoff made in China. And even after all this time, Bioware still hasn't perfected their animations, the way they make their humanoid models move feels incredibly artificial and unnatural. I also couldn't get into Dragon Age II, it just didn't feel the least bit engaging. And I wanted so badly to like it when I first saw previews of it prior to release.

I've also tried to get into Warframe and the Destiny series and I just can't. Gave it a solid try, but it's just incredibly boring gameplay and not much content for the price (in Destiny's case). I also couldn't get into Bioshock 2 which was a shock (a bioshock??) considering how much I love the first and third games in the series.

Also couldn't get into the Batman:Arkham Asylum series. I purchased the game of the year edition because several friends were raving about it, but I couldn't get more than about 4-5 hours in. Just didn't do it for me. Same with the Witcher series. I own the Witcher 1 & 2 (think I got them cheap on a Steam sale) but neither has kept my interest beyond about an hour.

Ladi_Pix3l

All of the newer Paper Marios. The first two are on my top 10 games probably. Super Paper Mario was fun, though not the same. It's probably top 20, because of the story. After that... I just want to cry. I guess there's two of those and they're like... not interesting. They're not even RPGs anymore.

I once dreampt that Nintendo hired me and gave me full reign to make a new Paper Mario game however I wanted to. Yup. Best dream ever.

Maybe it doesn't count because those two are just bad games, but there is no series I want more to be able to love again. I'll just keep going back to the first three on my ancient Wii and play them over and over.
Although the battle mechanic is trash, the dialogue in Color Splash is hilarious and really is it's only redeeming quality. Other than that the gamecube and n64 games are my favorite

T

Tyler Logsdon

the last of us, and pretty much any PlayStation Exclusive. they are more story based usually whereas Xbox exclusives have tons of action.

Niels

At my 3th playthrough of nier:automata atm
First campaign wss "meh... let's make a thread on the gamemaker forum about my dissapointment with the game, second playthrough was "this is quite ok!" 3th playthrough was "Wow what a amazing game!"

L

Lonewolff

Games you want to love, but just can't...
Anything on XBox or PS. Maybe it's all the fumbling around with game pads.

You were king of the block if you had one of these 'bad boys' as a kid. This was my weapon of choice.

I have been looking for one everywhere to convert back to use on the PC.

#MakeGamingGreatAgain

T

Thunder Lion

the last of us, and pretty much any PlayStation Exclusive. they are more story based usually whereas Xbox exclusives have tons of action.
The Last of Us is boring to play, but I can watch someone play it.
I don't enjoy video games all that much they get pretty boring pretty fast my xbox one is just sitting there....drifting upon the sea

Field Magic

The dark souls series lol... I see the appeal and there are moments when I do get that feeling of accomplishment... but to spend hours trying to beat a flying dragon boss thing on a rooftop.. just as your getting close... his brother turns up and destroys you... lol and don't get me started on the trolls hahah

S

Smarty

Anything on XBox or PS. Maybe it's all the fumbling around with game pads.

You were king of the block if you had one of these 'bad boys' as a kid. This was my weapon of choice.

I have been looking for one everywhere to convert back to use on the PC.

#MakeGamingGreatAgain
Three buttons? Eh, spoiled 16-bit brats...

Converting it to a PC is easy these days, as there are a number of little nifty devices that can translate the pins towards key strokes. But you're looking at a collector's item, I'm afraid. Who knows, what with the retro waves these days someone decides to produce them again with USB outs.

For me the weapon of choice was this little beauty:

Played them lots but I never had one myself as a kid. I do have one now. But I'm amazed how freaking rigid it is, was, or has become, I don't know. Moving the stick about requires a lot of force.

End of detour, back to topic...

@Smarty: I *really* doubt the controller Ghost showed was for a 16-bit machine. ;)

There were plenty of commodore 64 games that used more than one button, and tons of Atari joysticks that inexplicably had multiple buttons as well. Ghost is an old like yourself. I'm slightly less old, but was raised correctly, so grew up with this stuff anyway, haha.

L

Lonewolff

Yep. As Rich said. All of the buttons functioned as one. Although there was an 'auto fire' toggle switch at the back which influenced on of the buttons (the yellow one).

S

Smarty

@Smarty: I *really* doubt the controller Ghost showed was for a 16-bit machine. ;)
This joystick was often used in combination with a Commodore Amiga, which is a 16-bit machine.

There were plenty of commodore 64 games that used more than one button, and tons of Atari joysticks that inexplicably had multiple buttons as well, haha.
I repaired many 8-bit compatible joysticks. I even hooked up two 8-bit computers once to let one control the joystick ins of the other. I know the pin-outs of those 8-bit machines - 4 pins for each direction, and one for a fire button (and additional pins for paddle input). That's why joysticks were generally reusable on many devices of the same console and home computer family.

Some joysticks indeed had two fire buttons, but they triggered the same pin (some people preferred the button on the stick over the one on the base). If more inputs were required for a game, they generally came from the keyboard.

Ghost is an old like yourself.
Oi. The planet is old. I've practically just arrived.

I'm slightly younger, but was raised right, so grew up with this stuff anyway, haha.
Your parents have disappointed me.

@Smarty: Ghost ninja'd you, haha. Didn't say what console he used it with, though. I'm going to guess it worked with the 64 too, though, even though people may have used it with the Amiga?
Edit: Apparently it was actually originally made for the Sega Mega Drive...so you were right. 16-bit controller, I guess, hahah! The aesthetic of that controller screams mid-80s at me, but I guess the designer was just a bit behind...

Your parents have disappointed me.
I'm going to disappoint you too, then. My nephew is playing all this crap now too, thanks to me and my brother. :'D

And you're right about being old. Ten years may as well be a month. People just die very young, unfortunately. :')

Last edited:
L

Lonewolff

I'm gonna get the C64 mini, just for the controller, if nothing else.

If it is a true 8 directional (which I am sure it will be), I'll be able to smash IK+ again. Just doesn't play the same with a $hitty gamepad.

It might even inspire me to code my long term project again, as it is suited to a solid 8 directional.

S

Smarty

Yep. As Rich said. All of the buttons functioned as one. Although there was an 'auto fire' toggle switch at the back which influenced on of the buttons (the yellow one).
*Geek mode on*

No, Rich said they used more than one button, while effectively there was only one in the case of the 8-bit machines. The 16-bit machines used the pinouts slightly differently, allowing for two separate (fire / action) buttons rather than the two available buttons acting as one.

If you used that Star Cursor joystick on an 8-bit machine (the jacks were the same) then you would not have noticed this, depending on the switch. But this joystick was designed for the Sega Mega Drive (although I only ever saw it used with an Amiga) which, like the Amiga, supported a separate, primary and a secondary fire button. All of those home computers were completely unaware of micro switches on the joysticks, by the way. They only did stuff to the signals sent to those machines.

Richie said:
I'm going to disappoint you too, then. My nephew is playing all this crap now too, thanks to me and my brother. :'D
I'm all for retro gaming so the more the merrier.

I'm gonna get the C64 mini, just for the controller, if nothing else.

If it is a true 8 directional (which I am sure it will be), I'll be able to smash IK+ again. Just doesn't play the same with a $hitty gamepad.

It might even inspire me to code my long term project again, as it is suited to a solid 8 directional.
You could skip the emulator-in-a-box and go straight for a USB retro stick directly, there are plenty. Such as this one:

https://www.alzashop.com/atari-vault-bundle-with-a-usb-joystick-d5116103.htm

(Fun stuff, I'll ask to have this discussion separated into a different thread)

L

Lonewolff

No he didn't

There were plenty of commodore 64 games that used more than one button, and tons of Atari joysticks that inexplicably had multiple buttons as well.
Inexplicably, meaning that they had multiple buttons that all did the same thing, in this case.

You could skip the emulator-in-a-box and go straight for a USB retro stick directly, there are plenty. Such as this one:
Aw, I could. But I guess I have a warm fuzzy feeling for this particular emulator in a box. :D

S

Smarty

No he didn't

"There were plenty of commodore 64 games that used more than one button, and tons of Atari joysticks that inexplicably had multiple buttons as well."

Inexplicably, meaning that they had multiple buttons that all did the same thing, in this case.
I understand used which to me suggested having distinct functions. The two-button setup was made for convenience of the player, but didn't serve the games any purpose.

Other buttons were nothing more than switches that tuned the behavior of the joystick. Nothing inexplicable.

The Cursor, however, could be set to have two separate functional buttons. If you never noticed it, it's because you used it on a machine that didn't support it.

Aw, I could. But I guess I have a warm fuzzy feeling for this particular emulator in a box. :D
The keyboard doesn't work though, but based on your experiences this may actually make it feel more genuine. :p

L

Lonewolff

The Cursor, however, could be set to have two separate functional buttons. If you never noticed it, it's because you used it on a machine that didn't support it.
Nope, the Star Cursors buttons were all hooked to the same pin (for the home computer versions). The yellow button went through a toggleable auto fire circuit.

There was, however, a separate model that was produced for the Sega.

If you knew your stuff, you would have known this :p

S

Smarty

Nope, the Star Cursors buttons were all hooked to the same pin (for the home computer versions). The yellow button went through a toggleable auto fire circuit.

There was, however, a separate model that was produced for the Sega.

If you knew your stuff, you would have known this :p
Said the guy who just found out I wasn't wrong. :p

No, Rich said they used more than one button.
Oh, I think we're misunderstanding each other. I thought the controller was older than it was because it looks old to me. The number of buttons didn't play a part in that. I just mentioned that the Atari joysticks had multiple buttons to show that a controller having more than one button on it didn't mean they were actually separate switches. I assumed this joystick was like the old Atari ones, where all the buttons were tied to the same output.

I've played plenty of C64 games, using a joystick and keyboard in tandem.

Edit: My original post was nonsensical. I mentioned the Atari controller to show that this controller was probably all one output, but I also mentioned that C64 games used more than one button. I've obviously never played a C64 without using a keyboard for those extra buttons, so I don't know what the hell I was saying now. It was early, sorry. Ignore my original post. :'D

Last edited:
S

Smarty

I've played plenty of C64 games, using a joystick and keyboard in tandem.
I've played my Atari XL games in comparable ways. Joystick in the hands, keyboard under the foot. The swipe generation will never understand the gymnastic challenges of our game playing era.

Edit: My original post was nonsensical. I mentioned the Atari controller to show that this controller was probably all one output, but I also mentioned that C64 games used more than one button. I've obviously never played a C64 without using a keyboard for those extra buttons, so I don't know what the hell I was saying now. It was early, sorry. Ignore my original post. :'D
Yes, cheers, we're clear. I just can't control it when people start pressing my buttons.

L

Lonewolff

Oh, I think we're misunderstanding each other. I thought the controller was older than it was because it looks old to me. The number of buttons didn't play a part in that. I just mentioned that the Atari joysticks had multiple buttons to show that a controller having more than one button on it didn't mean they were actually separate switches. I assumed this joystick was like the old Atari ones, where all the buttons were tied to the same output.
And that's exactly how it was.

Coded Games

Dark Souls. I really liked Bloodborne but the Dark Souls games just feel like the devs tried to make the controls clunky to add to the game's difficulty.

T

The_Mugen_Soul

Portable Monster Hunter titles, I love the series as a whole but playing it on such a small screen takes so much away from it for me :(

A

Ampersand

I was on the flip side of Last of Us. I thought it was really engaging and difficult on the hardest setting, and it left me feeling like I'd just watched a movie for a week. I looked to it for the narrative, but I still think the mechanics were great and the story was gripping.

Plenty of suitable brains out there to get this done, and the code and soldering is quite simple. A while back I build my own MIDI controller from scratch using arcade 30's and Peavey sliders/knobs. Can't beat the feel of that classic button release... It's like a cloud that clicks when you caress it!

Last edited by a moderator:
T

ThinPixels

No Man's Sky would be number one I guess. The 74 Call of Duty games they released since Modern Warfare were hard for me to like as well lol :p:D

A

Ampersand

No Man's Sky would be number one I guess. The 74 Call of Duty games they released since Modern Warfare were hard for me to like as well lol :p:D
I have to give props to the first Black Ops, however. I really enjoyed that campaign and the multiplayer was really balanced before people stopped playing it and I started seeing hackers almost every game. Every one since then has been a bore, though.

Gamer (ex-Cantavanda)

〜Flower Prince〜
Civilisation 5.
Amazing depth and so much possible hundreds hours I could delve in it trying to get every achievement.
I just don't have time to sit 1-2hrs to play one game of it... I can only game about 1-3 times per week, and usually those times are less then 1 hour, so slowly progressing in Bayonetta or DARK SOULS is perfect, but setting up a huge strategic city and so on, I just don't have the time.

L

Lonewolff

I was on the flip side of Last of Us. I thought it was really engaging and difficult on the hardest setting, and it left me feeling like I'd just watched a movie for a week. I looked to it for the narrative, but I still think the mechanics were great and the story was gripping.

Plenty of suitable brains out there to get this done, and the code and soldering is quite simple. A while back I build my own MIDI controller from scratch using arcade 30's and Peavey sliders/knobs. Can't beat the feel of that classic button release... It's like a cloud that clicks when you caress it!

For sure. And I have been meaning to do something like this for a long time. Lots of mucking around though, but would be fun.

A

Ampersand

Civilisation 5.
Amazing depth and so much possible hundreds hours I could delve in it trying to get every achievement.
I just don't have time to sit 1-2hrs to play one game of it... I can only game about 1-3 times per week, and usually those times are less then 1 hour, so slowly progressing in Bayonetta or DARK SOULS is perfect, but setting up a huge strategic city and so on, I just don't have the time.
Ooh, how did I not think of this one.

I've finished a full complete games with friends on a few different versions of Civ, and every single one felt less fun than Monopoly to me. Which is strange, because I was a big history buff as a kid and always loved realistic/historical strategy games. Just never really enjoyed that series, however.