Creating games

M

mj217

Hello

i am just a beginner in creating games and i don't have any idea on how creating it

Question:
1. what is the better software or application for creating character and background.

i have a lot of question to ask..its better and more understanding if i start learning at the beginning. :)
i hope to understand and answer my question. :)

T

trentallain

Hello

i am just a beginner in creating games and i don't have any idea on how creating it

Question:
1. what is the better software or application for creating character and background.

i have a lot of question to ask..its better and more understanding if i start learning at the beginning. :)
For creating characters and backgrounds, game maker is fine for that by using the sprite editor

M

mj217

what if boning ?? what is better than that
like changing the movement ..

better software for creating a character .

nesrocks

Spine was in relation to the bone question.

For creating characters a pencil and a piece of paper are great. Do a lot of research, don't be discouraged by bad ideas, draw a lot and you'll find your character design.

Hello

Question:

I assume you are making a 2D sprite based game? If so, then the built in editor is pretty good. There are better ones out there, and people use a wide range of things. I see some people use Photoshop, some use Aesprite, some even just use Windows Paint (though, I'd recommend not using that...). There are many other choice too. The editor isn't really going to make much different with your creative abilities, other than various features making it easier to manage and/or streamline the process.

If you are doing 3D, that is whole separate ball of wax.

And the third thing to remember, there is a ton of premade assets out there you could get for your game (so you can focus on programming). Both free use (see opengameart.org) and premium from tons of different sources (itch.io is a good place, but there are others too). Of course, making your own stuff is what we would all prefer. But, if you have a good game idea that you can program well, I see no shame in using premade assets if they fit the purpose well. Not everyone is able to do the art portion well, especially if you are just starting out.

M

mj217

For creating characters a pencil and a piece of paper are great. Do a lot of research, don't be discouraged by bad ideas, draw a lot and you'll find your character design.
i draw my character in pencil.. next step is what software instead of game maker sprite editor??

Last edited by a moderator:

rIKmAN

Yeah I was just clarifying so he didn't spend $60/$300 only to realise he can't actually create assets with it - stranger things have happened! :)

If OP only wants to use skeletal animation to create traditional sprite animation you can also use DragonBones (which is free) and export them as .png files to load into GMS, but you lose half of the features that skeletal animation provides (lower memory footprint, switching out images/slots on the fly etc)

For general sprite creation I'd recommend PyxelEdit for tiles especially but general sprite work too, and Aseprite if you can handle the pixel UI (it's free if you compile yourself from source), but as others have said there are many options.

M

mj217

I assume you are making a 2D sprite based game? If so, then the built in editor is pretty good. There are better ones out there, and people use a wide range of things. I see some people use Photoshop, some use Aesprite, some even just use Windows Paint (though, I'd recommend not using that...). There are many other choice too. The editor isn't really going to make much different with your creative abilities, other than various features making it easier to manage and/or streamline the process.

If you are doing 3D, that is whole separate ball of wax.

And the third thing to remember, there is a ton of premade assets out there you could get for your game (so you can focus on programming). Both free use (see opengameart.org) and premium from tons of different sources (itch.io is a good place, but there are others too). Of course, making your own stuff is what we would all prefer. But, if you have a good game idea that you can program well, I see no shame in using premade assets if they fit the purpose well. Not everyone is able to do the art portion well, especially if you are just starting out.
yes it is 2D .

.i just want to try, the character like (YOMAWARI night alone).. the character is more awesome there..
and the flatform..

thank you :) . it helps a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

maratae

Hello

Question:

Aseprite is what I use.
Aseprite is Love. Aseprite is Life.