GameMaker Execute Shell to Scan for Viruses?

Hello,

I have a project which allows users to send their project files to a server so they can share and play each other's projects. I would like to make the community environment as safe as possible by scanning all files for viruses/malware before they are put them on the server. At first, I thought I could have the server scan the files but it appears that I would need a PHP extension and it's a shared server and the host doesn't have any such extensions. So I think my only option is to have the files scanned before they are delivered to the server.

I have an extension in Game Maker to execute a shell. All I really need is some program or command prompt that will scan the files and return whether or not any issues were detected. My project is only available on Windows, so I wonder if I could use Windows Defender somehow??

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!

GMWolf

aka fel666
First rule of security: Never trust any incoming data. Just because the client *you* designed scans for viruses, does not mean that the data the server receive is from that client. (and someone could design a client to upload malware)

First rule of security: Never trust any incoming data. Just because the client *you* designed scans for viruses, does not mean that the data the server receive is from that client. (and someone could design a client to upload malware)
Call me naïve, but If someone were to maliciously upload dangerous content, wouldn't that person need to know my server's URL? I've never shared that with anyone.

GMWolf

aka fel666
Call me naïve, but If someone were to maliciously upload dangerous content, wouldn't that person need to know my server's URL? I've never shared that with anyone.
Again, never trust ANY input coming from the web.
It's really, really easy to find your url/Ip address, etc.
They are public by design.

Last edited: