Software made in Game Maker

slojanko

Does anyone know any software that has been made using Game Maker?
Has anyone created software with Game Maker? If so, what was your experience like? How did you tackle UI elements?

Not talking about games but programs like editors, animators?

0.Bytes

I've already seen some stuff made with GM, if I am not wrong it was a image/picture editor and a pixel art tool, I seen them not a long time ago here in the forum, but I tried to search for their links but I could not find them =/

M

Misu

Tbh, ive seen ton of them from back in gm8 to even GMS 1. I remember GMmodel fix, that shader tool and also an alternative room editor. Although the results were not good tbh. Its better to make these kind of IDEs in an actual programming environment such as in C# or C++. You'll achieve better by writing them under those languages instead of GML.

"Model creator v5" The best of the software created by GM.. for GM.. but not limited to GM.
"WIN max api" was one of the API use to make windows dialogue/buttons GUis etc work with GM.
If you are looking for an easy GUI system and working to make any software. I recommend you Nailbusters GUI available at marketplace. I have before tried making some software my self for personal use. Tried many others examples and used self coded GUIS too, Nailbusters GUI is great to work with.

Last edited:
W

Wraithious

I have made a bunch of software with gms, such as Mergery, Interplanetary clock, Marstime and Presession of the equinoxes.

I've often wondered how much non-game applications (desktop or mobile) have been developed using GMS. I have had needs to build some mobile apps in the past and have considered using it to accomplish it, since I know how it works.

I made an interactive white board/drawing app for a friend who runs an English school. You can select different brushes and colours and the students can draw on the touch-sensitive interactive whiteboard using their fingers.

I also made a custom app for an interactive art installation for a cousin doing his Masters Thesis.

I find its very easy to make software like this with GMS 2, partly due to familiarity with Game Maker and the speed with which prototypes can be made.

How did you tackle UI elements?
For my apps, I just made custom buttons using sprites I drew.

I didn't have to conform to windows standards, so the GUI is all customised within the game/app.

DesArts

I made a strange 'clone' of Windows 7 paint back in 2009.

It was quite ambitious with floodfill, selection transforming, shape/text tools, many different brushes, undo/redo, etc. I think it was inspired after I discovered the Gif editor

slojanko

I made a strange 'clone' of Windows 7 paint back in 2009.

It was quite ambitious with floodfill, selection transforming, shape/text tools, many different brushes, undo/redo, etc. I think it was inspired after I discovered the Gif editor
That looks just like the real thing! I'd love to see how well it does flood paint with large images. Did you use your cpu for checking pixels?

DesArts

That looks just like the real thing! I'd love to see how well it does flood paint with large images. Did you use your cpu for checking pixels?
At the time, the best I could do is get an external EXE from someone else which did the floodfill for me. You had to feed it the image, coords, colour etc. Wasn't the fastest but worked. Other than that and a copy/paste dll, it's all in GML