Windows Bank Breaker - Update 14.02.2018: Achievement-System

R

Ralf Kostka

Hi all!

Because my last project was too heavy for a programming-newbie like me, i put in on ice for a while.
Instead i started a much simplier project from which i hope it will be done soon. Till now it mostly works like i would.

Now i think it's time to show it to you:

BankBreakerScreenshot.jpg

A simple Break-Out-Clone (and a nearly remake of an old game i own) with a few little differences. It is still not complete yet.

The game has 16 levels, but for review there are 5 of them playable. I think that's enough?

There's a lot left i have to do:

- Improve graphics: I need some better sprites for some of the ones i have now (like key, alarmbell...)
- Improve sounds: The sounds i have are not really what i want. Some are still missing now, because i haven't found the right ones
- Codes to jump to every bank you already robbered
- and some little things more (like code optimizations...)

How to play:

Use left or right arrowkeys to move the paddle. You can use your mouse too, just move your mouse to the left or right to move the paddle left or light.
Press space key or the right mouse button to launch the ball.

If you have any suggestions for improvement or questions, please let me know, also criticism ;)

Download it here (single runtime executable):
https://zarrex.itch.io/bank-breaker

Update 26.11.17:
+ Sound for getting the key
+ Sound for fireball explosion

Update: 09.12.17:
- Anything is having sounds now. But i'm still searching for Title-, Ingame-, Level-Done- and Game-Over-Musics :(
- A new title screen
- some graphic changes
- Highest score (money) is shown on title screen
- some little code improvements

Update: 13.12.17:
+ Added some vocals (simple, non-professional, self-made...) ;)
+ Password-function: Enter a password to play a level of your choice. Click on the key at the upper right corner, type in the password and press return.
But: To get the passwords you need to solve the level before
+ A new (third) level for you so you can test the password function

Update: 07.02.18:
While my Laptop-Display broke up i could not do anything over xmas-holidays and new year. But since i got it back i have done a lot of things (some things i had to learn, try and test before) and i think it is nearly done, but still in development. The file size increased to 27 MByte because of including the intro movie.

+ Intro: I've added an Intro-Movie. To skip, click left mouse button or space key
+ Movement: no longer need to click left button to move paddle, just move the mouse
+ Fixed: Bonus double size: player stuck in wall when too far left or right
+ Fixed: Bonus high/low-speed: when hit player stay at speed as long the timer is running
+ Password field: Fixed the size
+ paddle speed = ball speed
? resize window / set aspect ratio
+ Fullscreen
+ Option Screen: You can set sound/music/fullscreen to on/off
+ A little game over screen
+ New background for each bank
+ A new title screen again :D
+ 5 banks to robber now
- An Itch.io site is in work now

Update: 10.02.2018
+ Added a new bonus: Gun-Paddle - Click left mouse butto to shoot :)
+ Fixed: A problem viewing the pause-screen when ESC-Key was pressed.

Update: 14.02.2018
+ Added achievement system: To open a list with achievements click on the star-button on the main-screen. To close it click on this button again or press ESC-key. To scroll through the list use your mouse wheel.

Last edited by a moderator:
R

Ralf Kostka

Öhm...
I've uploaded a new version so you don't get just a blank screen when you have a "Game Over".

+ Sound for getting the key
+ Sound for fireball explosion

Last edited by a moderator:
R

Ralf Kostka

I've updated my little game with some optimisations:

- Anything is having sounds now. But i'm still searching for Title-, Ingame-, Level-Done- and Game-Over-Musics :(
- A new title screen
- some graphic changes
- Highest score (money) is shown on title screen
- some little code improvements

Still much to do ...

R

Ralf Kostka

Update 13.12.2017:

+ Added some vocals (simple, non-professional, self-made...) ;)
+ Password-function: Enter a password to play a level of your choice. Click on the P at the upper right corner, type in the password and press return.
But: To get the passwords you need to solve the level before
+ A new (third) level for you so you can test the password function

And still:
If you have any suggestions for improvement or questions, please let me know, also criticism ;)

Ladi_Pix3l

Not really a breakout fan but I went ahead and gave it a try. For the most part it's a solid game. sound effects are fine and the graphics are okay for what the game is. The bounce code is a little wonky in my opinion. Doesn't seem to go off physics but rather a random direction opposite for it's initial direction.
I noticed the "B" thing can get stuck in a corner if it connects to both sides of the wall. Also I think music would make this a little more enjoyable.

my nit pick is the paddle speed not matching the mouse speed causing me to go off the game window and unintentionally click on any widows that happen to be behind it.

So overall I'll give it a 3/5. Good work!!! ;)

R

Ralf Kostka

Thank you for your opinion, Ladi_Pix3l :)

I'm still searching for suitable musics. I'm not a composer, so i can't make it myself :(

The paddle-speed depends on the ball speed, not the mouse movement or speed. I thought it will make the game a bit more difficult to play. But i'll try that out :) (maybe removing the need to click to move the paddle, or maybe remove the mouse control completly ;) )

The ball direction is random at start moving it (not at skill shot). After that it depends on the vector it hits the paddle. Not really how i wanted it, but better than a standard bounce. I haven't found any better solution till now, but i'm still searching. My mathematic knowledge of that is not really good.

I am still working on :)

R

Ralf Kostka

Thank you really much for this great review of my first game :):)

You gave me many things to think about and to work on. Your review will help me a lot to make my first game better step by step.

Ok, i will think about new game background too. And no, the title screen is made with Photoshop CS2 free ;) But how i said before: I'm not a graphic artist. In that i'm the noobiest noob, like in composing my own musics... The error in the password field is fixed and a new version without it is uploading at the moment.

Thanks again a lot!!!