• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Custom Icon Doesn't Show Up On Desktop

F

FlameGames

I'm making a base engine for an RPG based on a tutorial I found on YouTube, and I decided to add a custom icon for fun. It works fine in the Taskbar and in the game window, but on the desktop it shows the default GameMaker icon. I tried exporting it as a zip to see if that fixed it, and the icon showed up in the folder, but not the desktop.

Is this a limitation with the free version of GameMaker: Studio, or can I fix it, and if so, how?

Thanks!

• Wow
Reactions: Mut
I

icuurd12b42

make sure your icon has all the sizes from 16x16 to 256x256.

It could a limitation free version of GM. I thought you could not make an exe using it... sooo...

F

FlameGames

make sure your icon has all the sizes from 16x16 to 256x256.

It could a limitation free version of GM. I thought you could not make an exe using it... sooo...
I made a 256 by 256 image, but there's only one spot for an image. Where do I put the others?

I

icuurd12b42

.ico file format support multiple icons size therein. You icon editor should allow you to add multiple icons to your ico file

upload_2016-7-26_0-30-41.png

F

FlameGames

.ico file format support multiple icons size therein. You icon editor should allow you to add multiple icons to your ico file

View attachment 1434
Oh okay. I just made a png image and converted it to an icon. I'll go download the program in your screenshot tomorrow and try to get it worked out. Thanks for your help!

EDIT: I took a look at IcoFX and it disables saving after 30 days. Are there any other programs you'd recommend? Thanks again!

EDIT 2: Nevermind, I think I found one. Thanks anyway!

Last edited by a moderator:
F

FlameGames

Oh okay. I just made a png image and converted it to an icon. I'll go download the program in your screenshot tomorrow and try to get it worked out. Thanks for your help!

EDIT: I took a look at IcoFX and it disables saving after 30 days. Are there any other programs you'd recommend? Thanks again!

EDIT 2: Nevermind, I think I found one. Thanks anyway!
I found a very nice free Icon Editor and remade my icon with every size, but when I put it into GameMaker, it did the same thing as before. I tried to export it with the Installer, and that actually worked, however, only the shortcut it created showed the icon on the desktop. The actual .exe still showed the GameMaker logo. So I guess I just have to export it with an installer and hope nobody goes looking for the .exe. Thanks for your help icuurd.

I

icuurd12b42

Actually the final issue is windows having taken (and cached) the icon from the exe before the new icon was added to it. someone posted this issue either here or on the old forum. I think you have to delete the Thumbs.db or some other image related file and refresh (F5) the forder

If you make a install or a zip exe the icon in the final resting place of the application should be OK

F

FlameGames

Actually the final issue is windows having taken (and cached) the icon from the exe before the new icon was added to it. someone posted this issue either here or on the old forum. I think you have to delete the Thumbs.db or some other image related file and refresh (F5) the forder

If you make a install or a zip exe the icon in the final resting place of the application should be OK
Where exactly would thumbs.db be? I looked through my game's folder, but couldn't find it.

I

icuurd12b42

If you don't have one then the rest of what I said... Installing the game someplace else should fix it...

F

FlameGames

If you don't have one then the rest of what I said... Installing the game someplace else should fix it...
It works! Thanks so much for your help!

EDIT: I think the problem was that I was saving them to my desktop. The second I saved it to my Downloads folder, it worked.

Last edited by a moderator:
I

icuurd12b42

Hmm, you can hit f5 on the desktop. click it and F5... that should update the icons.