• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

OFFICIAL GMS2 Version 2.1.3

rmanthorp

GameMaker Staff
Admin
GameMaker Dev.
Release Notes

Runtime Release Notes

This topic is for the discussion of issues relating to the update of GameMaker Studio 2. However, this does not replace our normal bug reporting system and you should report all bugs as normal using http://www.yoyogames.com/bug

You should post here if:
  • You think you have found a bug and have exhausted all other possibilities (ie: code error, incorrect setup, etc...)
  • Something has changed between the previous version and this one, breaking your game (ie: code that worked previously now does not)
  • Something reported as fixed in the release notes is not actually fixed
  • You are having IDE or system issues related to something new in this update
  • You are having issues with new features introduced in this version
  • You are having issues updating to this version
  • Everything works and you want to tell us we are great (seriously, let us know if it all works correctly for you)
When reporting issues, please try to add as much information as possible, for example:
  • If the issue is with the IDE, then please give a screenshot if you can to help illustrate the problem
  • If there are error windows, then a link to the "ui.log" file found in the ProgramData folder for GMS2
  • If it is a code issue, then link to or attach a YYZ showing the most basic project possible which exhibits the behavior
  • If you receive any error dialogues, please screenshot them
  • If it is a system issue (like compiling to a specific target) then please provide details of the PC being used as well as the software versions involved
Note that each new version released the old topic will be locked and a new topic will be made, so that all issues reported can be tracked correctly on a per-version basis. If you think your issue has not been fixed in the subsequent update, then please add a comment in the thread and ensure you file a bug report. (Please don’t continue doing this for every future release until your bug is fixed - just file the report and then you can leave off mentioning it in the thread).

Again: posting a comment in these release threads is not a replacement for filing a bug!

gnysek

Would be nice if there's third icon for inherited events, if "event_inherited();" is inside, to inform that this event partially does what parent instead of rewriting it totally.

gnysek

This means, you're not allowed to use 2.1.3, only <= 2.1.2 - maybe they are still updating database, as from several versions they have added checking which version is allowed to general publicity to prevent people use "leaked" newer versions from their internal RSS.

Or... too many connections at once :)

I have no problem for now. I ran it successfully:

Seems like first step to have real variable types in GMS2 (so sprite/object/instance/ds isn't a integer number, but reference, so 0 != object0 anymore).

John Bailey

I can confirm that it isn't due to too many sessions, at least not for me. I'll have to try again later, hopefully it fixes itself.

GMWolf

aka fel666
Seems like first step to have real variable types in GMS2 (so sprite/object/instance/ds isn't a integer number, but reference, so 0 != object0 anymore).
yep. I have to say this update is quite small. But its a huge game changer!
I can see much more data driven development coming along! I love it

T

turra

So is it worth going through a project and moving my variable definitions in create events into the new thing?

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
"Error(50) - You don't have access to internal feeds."

This was that I mistakenly set 270 live on Steam, not 271. I have now fixed it as of a few minutes ago, so make sure your Steam copy updates to 271 and you will be fine. Sorry!

GMWolf

aka fel666
I would like to know this as well :)

@Fel666
I am definitely going to make a tutorial on this ASAP (so like, friday / saturday? with a bit lot of luck before...)

I would say its worth if if you are going to continue making more levels.
I have a project where I set a lot of scripts in the creation code.
Having this is much nicer: I can just brows the scripts and select one!

Seriously YYG, this is very, very cool! Keep it up!

kupo15

looking forward to it! I don't think transferring everything over is worth it for my game but I have a few things I can get out of the instance creation event in the room editor using this that will be helpful

N

Neatqt

ive been stuck about 1/3 of the way through "installing runtime" for the past 15 minutes. anyone else with this issue??

edit: restarted my PC a few times and eventually it worked. ;):bunny:

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Jobo

GMC Elder
So is it worth going through a project and moving my variable definitions in create events into the new thing?
I would like to know this as well :)
Biggest things to consider are...

Initialization
Object variables: before Create event, so they can be relied upon to initialize your instance to exact specification
Code variables: at call time, can't initialize well as instance creation code is called after Create

Instances
Object variables: exposed in the instance editor, easy to edit later (edit in object editor), great for teams (separation between code/design)
Code variables: know your code inside out, hard to edit later - not great for teams or yourself in 3 months

So it's likely a per object decision. There's certainly room for cleaning up a lot of "traditional" initialization code

gnysek

No. I think it's more for D'n'Drop users. However, as @Jobo said, it seems that those variables may be defined "before" create event, which in case of inheritance may be helpful (you don't need to write event_inherit() in child objects), and in some rare cases it may be worth to modify variable in window rather than in create event (don't need to rewrite code). However, it's one-two line(s) of code for me, so waste of time. Or at least I'm able to write code faster than fill those fields.

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
@gnysek - I disagree with your assessment that it is only for DnD users, perhaps you are missing the fundamental change here because these variables are assigned before the Create Event is called (in fact there is a new hidden Pre-Create event which is used to ensure that these are set correctly, no you cannot access it as it could be abused in so many many ways that we will not support) and it is exposed in a way that can be accessed by non-technical collaborators (designers and artists) - it can also be used by extension creators to expose a prebuilt interface for objects within the extension and make them generally easier to use. I see this as a start of a number of changes that will make it easier to create components and generally make it easier to create reusable and extensible objects and systems.

Dismissing this as a DnD only feature is not appreciating the fundamental change that this represents

Russell

GMWolf

aka fel666
No. I think it's more for D'n'Drop users. However, as @Jobo said, it seems that those variables may be defined "before" create event, which in case of inheritance may be helpful (you don't need to write event_inherit() in child objects), and in some rare cases it may be worth to modify variable in window rather than in create event (don't need to rewrite code). However, it's one-two line(s) of code for me, so waste of time. Or at least I'm able to write code faster than fill those fields.
oh, no. THis thing is AMAZING!

Seriously, try it out and see. It may not seem all that useful untill you realize you can change them in the room editor per -instance.

kupo15

or yourself in 3 months
haha so true! :)

ok cool, I can see some traditional methods of declaration to make sure they are there before being called. I can see some things off the bat I can transfer to this and I'm sure more will present itself over time instead of doing a mass transfer.

stigmund77

Exposing variables in a none technical way is a really interesting feature for collaboration, i love the idea of the Pre-Create event. Hopefully we can get tilesets created in code soon :)

D

Dani

Just updated, and I'm having problems when sorting Groups in the Resource Tree. Now I can't sort groups under the same branch. Is someone having the same issue?

gnysek

@gnysek - I disagree with your assessment that it is only for DnD users
I never wrote it's "only". I wrote it's more for DnD, and as @Jobo said, since it's called before "Create" event, it may have some use in those cases, but for normal use (as now) for me it's better to keep old way.
Btw. I just found out, that you can also use this in ROOM editor on INSTANCES, which makes it more usable now :)

upload_2017-12-12_19-36-10.png

Last edited:

Ricardo

Anyone having problems in HTML5 with "Uncaught TypeError: chr is not a function"? I'm trying so hard to isolate the issue to file bug and I can't figure it out :(

O

Onigiri

Checked the new 64bit Linux runner.
I know that you guys only officially support ubuntu, that may be fine for building, but you need to document dependencies, so that we can support players. The new one has gained some and I had to pick them one by one.
Also you still seem to be building against libssl1.0.0 which is deprecated on ALL platforms (including ubuntu LTS), because of its insecurity. I had to pull an old .so out of a package cache on an antique machine and LD_PRELOAD it on a launch wrapper for the actual game. In a deployment this is highly undesirable.

Can we talk about this? Other than that it seems to run fine at first glance, once you get it to run.

W

Will

I updated today and can not run my project without seeing this message ... system32\cmd.exe exited with non-zero status (1)

I did some googling on the issue. Tried a reinstall, running as admin, switching to an older runtime (tested there - no luck) and back. Anyone have any ideas?

A

Axolotlet

I'm getting low FPS (5-10fps) on the new update.
Whenever a project is run on Fullscreen, the FPS instantly tanks and stays there until I alt tab. It seems that FPS works fine on windowed mode.

Tsa05

Unable to import GameMaker Studio 1 files due to a typo:

The project file does not appear.

If I rename my project so that it has a " .project.gmx " extension, then it loads fine. But, of course, GMS1 files use a .gmx extension without the .project in front.

Last edited:
I'm dying of happiness. Both object variables and the shown inherited events are going to help me organize my project WAY better. I have a ton of interconnected objects, many of which are under several layers of inheritance, and now it will be so much simpler to organize my project structure in an efficient and readable way. Also, I can't wait until I make another game where I actually use the room editor, because editing variables per instance will be really useful. As it is, I know of a few uses for that.

breakmt

Both features are cool. Especially "ghost" inherited events - this is very important! Thank you, YoYo team, I hope more cool and useful features will coming soon.
ps: attach points on sprite ;)

Last edited:
D

Dawn

Drag-and-drop in resources tree got super clunky with this update. The item I'm moving goes to the top of the tree whenever the IDE feels like it.

EDIT:
Releasing the mouse button on the upper half of the mouseover-ing item makes the moving item move to the top of the tree (by one level). It works normally on the lower half of the item (the moving item goes right under it).

Last edited by a moderator:

gnysek

Unable to import GameMaker Studio 1 files due to a typo:

The project file does not appear.

If I rename my project so that it has a " .project.gmx " extension, then it loads fine. But, of course, GMS1 files use a .gmx extension without the .project in front.

For me, all GMS 1.x projects have .project.gmx extension, like this INK-game project from HumbleBundle (I've imported it recently, so it's a newly created file):

upload_2017-12-13_9-4-46.png

Anyone having problems in HTML5 with "Uncaught TypeError: chr is not a function"? I'm trying so hard to isolate the issue to file bug and I can't figure it out :(
Don't tell me there are more issues for HTML5 in the new update... ABORTING. Thanks but no thanks.

I have it downloaded, but I'm reluctant to install the update if this is just going to land up breaking my projects.

Last edited:
G

Guest User

i was wondering if macros or enums work with this object variable stuff? its not a huge deal, but for example i assign NPCs different colors for their text and have created macros for the colors i use. i noticed the built-in thingies like 'c_red' work (thought putting 'c_white' seems to make black for some odd reason) but ye. does it work in 'expression' type or anything?

gnysek

i was wondering if macros or enums work with this object variable stuff? its not a huge deal, but for example i assign NPCs different colors for their text and have created macros for the colors i use. i noticed the built-in thingies like 'c_red' work (thought putting 'c_white' seems to make black for some odd reason) but ye. does it work in 'expression' type or anything?
Probably they gonna extend it when real datatypes come to GMS2. It's a first step to really helpful changes.

Last edited:

chmod777

Do you use base64_decode() in your project? If so, that might be the problem, because it uses a variable "chr" that is not function scope, which means this variable overwrites the chr() function... I think this could be a workaround for now (can be placed anywhere in a JS extension file):
Code:
if(window.atob) {
base64_decode = window.atob;
}

Thanks so much for making the Home/End stuff back to normal! Feels so much more natural ahhh...

no you cannot access it as it could be abused in so many many ways that we will not support
lol'ed at this :)

I am definitely going to make a tutorial on this ASAP (so like, friday / saturday? with a bit lot of luck before...)
I'm too much of a n00b to understand the significance of this new variable stuff yet or where/why it would be better than just coding variables in (which seems like it would be faster) but everyone sounds excited so I'm looking forward to your tutorial!

Ricardo

Do you use base64_decode() in your project? If so, that might be the problem, because it uses a variable "chr" that is not function scope, which means this variable overwrites the chr() function... I think this could be a workaround for now (can be placed anywhere in a JS extension file):
Code:
if(window.atob) {
base64_decode = window.atob;
}
Hey! You are right, I do use base64_decode (and encode) in my project.
I managed to overwrite base64_decode using this:
Code:
function base64_decode(arg) { // workaround for f$cked runtime 2.1.3.187
    return window.atob(arg);
}
And it worked! Now my project runs again. Thank you so much :D

Jobo

GMC Elder
i was wondering if macros or enums work with this object variable stuff?
We are looking to release an update that enables this, and in the future we are toying with the idea of having explicit support for user-defined enums as well.

I believe we have found and fixed the chr() issue.

Tsa05

For me, all GMS 1.x projects have .project.gmx extension, like this INK-game project from HumbleBundle (I've imported it recently, so it's a newly created file):
Oh, that's freaky and weird. I've never had a .project.gmk file....

Guess I won't file as a bug--glad to know that someone out there has .project.gmk files...but that's just weird.

Jobo

GMC Elder
Those are not GameMaker Studio 1 projects. They are legacy projects. Import them to GameMaker Studio 1 to produce a *.project.gmx project file and structure, then import that into GameMaker Studio 2. Notice how the GMS2 import dialog asks for a "GMX" file, while all of yours are "GMK" files.

A

AleHitti

I'm messing around with the new Object variables, and the one thing that I noticed is that even though the variable is defined in the new little window, it doesn't show up in auto-complete when writing code, which is a bit annoying. Maybe they'll add it in a future update? Or is it just not working for me?

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
@AleHitti - they have not been tied into the intellisense or syntax colouring mechanisms just yet, but they will in a future update (neither are critical, but they are nice and needed in the future).

Russell

Anyone else getting this large FPS issue? Ever since I updated, my FPS has been going crazy. I tried removing all objects in the room and it still persists. My FPS in settings is set to 30.

Edit: I uninstalled and reinstalled and still having the same problem.

Edit 2: I created a new GMS2 project and only had one object with show_debug_overlay(true); in the create event and I still get the crazy FPS.

Sometimes when I try to test/debug my game, the build time would be verrrry slow and the game screen wouldn't even come up.

Last edited: