Amazon Fire is now a separate module from Android, even though it is basically Android

S

Sam (Deleted User)

Ok so I checked the YYG products page today and noticed this:

GameMaker Studio 2 Fire $149 (Fire / Android)
GameMaker Studio 2 Mobile $399 (iOS and Android)

What my question is here, why did they lump together iOS and Android instead of pairing Android with Fire Android, like they did in GMS 1.4?

I know Fire OS is a slightly modified version of Android that won't run on normal Android devices.

So if you make a Fire app it won't run on regular android.

But I still find it weird they paired iOS and Android as a single purchase instead of pairing two Android-based platforms like Fire and regular Android are.

rIKmAN

Ok so I checked the YYG products page today and noticed this:

GameMaker Studio 2 Fire $149 (Fire / Android)
GameMaker Studio 2 Mobile $399 (iOS and Android)

What my question is here, why did they lump together iOS and Android instead of pairing Android with Fire Android, like they did in GMS 1.4?

I know Fire OS is a slightly modified version of Android that won't run on normal Android devices.

So if you make a Fire app it won't run on regular android.

But I still find it weird they paired iOS and Android as a single purchase instead of pairing two Android-based platforms like Fire and regular Android are.
For the price point most probably.
Most of the PR stuff I've seen are stating it as an easy / cheap way to get into mobile games - cheaper because you are restricted to just FireOS devices.

If they paired it with regular Android the price would be higher, and then the price for iOS would need to also be changed as it would be a single export and not paired with Android anymore - so lots of changes all round.

If you have Mobile you get the FireOS export included with normal Android/iOS anyway, so it seems to be for people on a budget who want to test out mobile development but not drop $400 to test the waters.

S

Sam (Deleted User)

If you have Mobile you get the FireOS export included with normal Android/iOS anyway, so it seems to be for people on a budget who want to test out mobile development but not drop $400 to test the waters.
Oh, ok. I had no idea FireOS was included with the Android and iOS module. That makes a lot of sense and thanks for clearing that up! :)

rIKmAN

Oh, ok. I had no idea FireOS was included with the Android and iOS module. That makes a lot of sense and thanks for clearing that up! :)
Me either until saw a video about it and saw it mentioned, so I asked in another thread about the new export as it wasn't showing up for me.
Turns out I had to do the old logout / login again and then it appeared.

Here's the video I saw:

G

They should credit the $140 toward the full mobile export if a person chooses to upgrade. Otherwise, this is just bilking suckers. Unity's hardware survey shows that Amazon devices account for .9% of mobile hardware with Unity games installed. And Amazon has 8% of tablet market share. (Apparently Fire owners aren't hugely into games.)

Now if they did credit the $140 toward a purchase of the regular mobile export---that would be smart and fair. It would give people a real opportunity to test the software and YYG's support capabilities for a non-Windows export.

rIKmAN

They should credit the $140 toward the full mobile export if a person chooses to upgrade. Otherwise, this is just bilking suckers. Unity's hardware survey shows that Amazon devices account for .9% of mobile hardware with Unity games installed. And Amazon has 8% of tablet market share. (Apparently Fire owners aren't hugely into games.)

Now if they did credit the $140 toward a purchase of the regular mobile export---that would be smart and fair. It would give people a real opportunity to test the software and YYG's support capabilities for a non-Windows export.
According to this article that's exactly what they are offering:
https://developer.amazon.com/blogs/...ducing-gamemaker-studio-2-support-for-fire-os
“We’re confident that focusing on making a game for the Amazon Appstore is a great way for developers to get their feet wet with mobile game development,” said James Cox, general manager, YoYo Games. “This option gives a very accessible entry point into mobile game development and publishing on the Amazon Appstore. We even made sure to give developers an effortless way to deploy their games to other mobile platforms – just pay the difference to upgrade the license to Mobile, and you’ll be taking advantage of GMS2's incredibly easy-to-use multi-platform support in no time.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D *SHOCK* as YoYo Games appears to have already done what the community was about to demand with pitch forks, but never noticed was there already...... :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

The Amazon deal that brings the Fire trial and module is brilliant - and fire devices (along with that), make for an amazing way to get into mobile development more easily, and cheaply.

It's also worth noting that the Fire trial also lets you use GMS2 without the trial restrictions, making it even more valuable for end users. Great Deal all round!

rIKmAN

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D *SHOCK* as YoYo Games appears to have already done what the community was about to demand with pitch forks, but never noticed was there already...... :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

The Amazon deal that brings the Fire trial and module is brilliant - and fire devices (along with that), make for an amazing way to get into mobile development more easily, and cheaply.

It's also worth noting that the Fire trial also lets you use GMS2 without the trial restrictions, making it even more valuable for end users. Great Deal all round!
Hahaha, don't worry, some of us actually read the fine print... ;)

S

Sam (Deleted User)

Getting a little excited, aren't we? :p

K

Kuro

Darnit yoyo, why are you tempting me with reasonably priced kindle fire targets? I thought I was going to get away with just desktop this time around :p

S

Sam (Deleted User)

Very happy with the upgrade option, would you be able to make it more obvious on the purchase page such as including it as a feature when pressing more info on the amazon export?
Exactly. Not as many people will be able to take advantage of an offer that not everyone would even know about, based on the current layout.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Exactly. Not as many people will be able to take advantage of an offer that not everyone would even know about, based on the current layout.
I suppose that could be intentional, so that fewer people apply for the discount? :p I have to agree that listing it as a feature probably could be even better, though... people can feel like they're buying multiple small things "and can stop whenever they want", then they feel like NOT using the upgrade option would be a waste now when they've already paid for one module... so you get both gambling theory AND the sunk-cost fallacy at once.