• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

HTML5 + invisiwall

F

foldupgames

Hello guys!

Great news in my world - I've been developing a promotional game for my company to use at trade shows and they want it on the website as well. Ain't that cool?

Issue: the character runs into non-existent wall objects sometimes in the HTML5 preview. Any thoughts?

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
I would suspect an outdated compiler or browser cache. For the compiler cache, click the broomstick icon next to the "Stop Game" icon, then try compiling again. For the browser cache, you can clear it if you feel like it, or you can use private browsing/Incognito windows to simulate blanking it out.

F

foldupgames

I would suspect an outdated compiler or browser cache. For the compiler cache, click the broomstick icon next to the "Stop Game" icon, then try compiling again. For the browser cache, you can clear it if you feel like it, or you can use private browsing/Incognito windows to simulate blanking it out.
Great ideas - I tried them both and no luck. So strange....

J

jackhigh24

try deleting it from the cache as cleaning it does not always remove everything that could mess something up.

F

foldupgames

try deleting it from the cache as cleaning it does not always remove everything that could mess something up.
Thanks for the tip - no luck there. I cleared the cache / history / cookies / kitchen sink. Tried a different browser as well.

J

jackhigh24

i meant game makers cache not the browser, you usually use the bush icon from within game maker but it does not always get rid of stuff you need to, still might not solve the problem but worth a try, go into where game maker saves your stuff and find the game in the cache folder delete it and try again.

F

foldupgames

Semi-fix. It looks like wiping some stuff out and rebuilding the layout fixes it. Still not sure what the issue is, but I may be able to work around it.

Thanks for the input!

F

foldupgames

Drat! Scratch that - it still seems to be happening. I think I need to get a video or something so other people know I'm not going nuts.

Mind you, it's ONLY the HTML5 version. Everything else is fine. It's just acting like there's a wall where there is nothing. Not sure what to do here.

J

jackhigh24

a video might help but would be better to check the code you use for moving and stopping when you encounter an obstacle, then if nothing is wrong maybe a help desk ticket would be better if no one has any idea today.

F

foldupgames

a video might help but would be better to check the code you use for moving and stopping when you encounter an obstacle, then if nothing is wrong maybe a help desk ticket would be better if no one has any idea today.
Yup. Thanks for the input here. I've decided for a workaround since I'm on a tight timeline. The issue seems to be that you can jump up through the platforms even though they act like solid blocks in other respects, but in HTML5 it gets a little confused. As a workaround and seems to detect them as 3x taller than it should. I've removed that jump through feature and now you just hit your head on them - it was a nice touch, but it wasn't crucial. In case anyone is interested in the code, this was tweaked from a Shaun Spalding tutorial.

PLATFORMS

CREATE
sprite_index=-1; //Removes the sprite so as to remove the collision box

STEP
///Jump through - keyboard
if global.gamepad=0
{
if instance_exists(obj_player)
{
if (round(obj_player.y+145) > y) or keyboard_check(vk_down)//My y + half player since he's centered, rounded to integers
mask_index = -1 //Fall through
else
mask_index=spr_platforms
}
}

DRAW
///Draw myself
draw_sprite(spr_platforms,0,x,y)