Discussion What's wrong with my (brand new) laptop?

T

Tirous

Recently I bought a fancy new laptop. For two days I installed and downloaded all sorts of things. Steam, Games, GMS, Unity, Dropbox, etc. (already used up like 2/3rds of the 256 SSD)

Then, while playing Monaco... it blue screened on me... then the problems started...

Now, every time I try to start it, one of the following happens:

1. Nothing
2. Tries to start (keyboard lights up, cooling fan starts), but then suddenly fails after a moment, then repeats until I close the laptop to force it to stop trying (the power button does nothing).
3. The computer does start, and during the acer logo, the computer freezes and the screen corrupts in all sorts of weird ways (random pixels of the logo are offset to the side, patches of the screens edge corrupt into patterns of noise).
4. Number 3, but at some strange angles the PC won't crash until moved out of those angles (some angles need a bit of a shake to work). I can login and get to the desktop (or survive the system repair process and let me try to reset the PC); but once there it will blue screen if I try just about anything, and of course will freeze and corrupt if I change the angle, even during the blue screen.

My mom's going to Winnipeg next Sunday, and is going to use the warranty to get a new one while she's there; I just want to know what exactly is wrong with the current one, as I'm simply at a loss for this.

PS. If it's noteworthy, playing Monaco was the first time I used the laptop on my lap and not my coffee table.

andev

If changing the physical location/angle of your computer changes the results, then it is more likely to be a hardware issue than a software issue (so nothing to do with you installing all those things). It could be something as simple as a stray screw behind the motherboard, shorting it in a really unfortunate place, or it could be as complicated as one of the millions of microscopic connections not being joined properly.

If you care about the data on the laptop, stop touching it. Maybe even remove the hard drive. Every time it bluescreens, there's a really high risk of corrupting something/everything. Getting your data off is as simple as plugging the hard drive into another computer and accessing it like any other external drive (you just need a cable).

T

Tirous

If changing the physical location/angle of your computer changes the results, then it is more likely to be a hardware issue than a software issue (so nothing to do with you installing all those things). It could be something as simple as a stray screw behind the motherboard, shorting it in a really unfortunate place, or it could be as complicated as one of the millions of microscopic connections not being joined properly.

If you care about the data on the laptop, stop touching it. Maybe even remove the hard drive. Every time it bluescreens, there's a really high risk of corrupting something/everything. Getting your data off is as simple as plugging the hard drive into another computer and accessing it like any other external drive (you just need a cable).
Thx m8!

I managed to sneak on and dump my important stuff into dropbox; now it's on my tablet (the one I'm writing this reply on btw).