• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Reverse game jam

andev

thats a nice idea. i upvote
Thanks!

What would the rules be for making more assets? Would it be ok to add new assets so long as they looked identical to the original? I was thinking that maybe the artwork could be something *not* generic like platformer assets, and perhaps something that requires some creativity to implement?

Or would the entire point of the jam be that you can't win just because you're good at artwork, so creating new assets would be effectively cheating?

I

IngoLingo

I like this idea.

Thanks!

What would the rules be for making more assets? Would it be ok to add new assets so long as they looked identical to the original? I was thinking that maybe the artwork could be something *not* generic like platformer assets, and perhaps something that requires some creativity to implement?

Or would the entire point of the jam be that you can't win just because you're good at artwork, so creating new assets would be effectively cheating?
I think that you should be able to at-least tweak the assets to fit the game you make but creating new assets should be discouraged.

Z

zendraw

i think, some1 makes the assets, and then we just use them im the jam. no tweakin no addin no w/e. point wuld be creativity, like theyr lego pieces and we build, or minecraft materials or w/e. and they shuldnt be for a specific genre.

D

Deleted member 467

ayy I'm lovin this idea! I'd be willing to join in if this happened

HayManMarc

I think the art assets would really dictate the genre. They would really need to be varied. Perhaps you could have an "opengameart.org" jam, where you could use anything from the site. Might be TOO varied, tho.

andev

I meant it like the stuff that's not directly artwork for the game, but still important visually.

I tried this once with all of the Kenney game assets (quite a few free assets) and nobody was interested. I think it's a cool idea but most people seem to enjoy making their own stuff.
Can you link the topic? Did you post it before gathering a community maybe? Or just bad timing? Unlucky choice of assets? A rule people didn't like? There's a lot of factors we should consider before giving up.

if you allow any modification of the assets, somehow you have to decide where to draw the line. Maybe the assets only need be recognizable?
Maybe something like, they should look like they were part of the original asset pack? Even so, it's an unfair advantage.

What if the assets you created became open for use by anyone else in the jam too?

andev

I think the art assets would really dictate the genre. They would really need to be varied. Perhaps you could have an "opengameart.org" jam, where you could use anything from the site. Might be TOO varied, tho.
I think it should really be on one specific pack, otherwise it's then just a competition of "who can find the best assets on opengameart".

Maybe someone specifically designs the artwork to be used for the jam (I would be happy to commission some artwork from someone good, or even make it myself if necessary?) I'm sure we could find someone for this...

HayManMarc

It would be a LOT of art for someone to do. Good luck.

EDIT: For that matter, you could probably find a complete pack of assets on opengameart as well, or some other place. Just have a look around for 'free game art assets".
Maybe you can find several different packs, then list them out for the jam participants to vote on, or something?

Z

zendraw

@hippyman im sure they found the assets boring...

my opinion is some1 simply makes assets that he wants but enough for us to make somthing and thats that. anything else will simply complicate things and make the jam stupid, uncreative and boring. you must give people freedom/a chanse to do somthing. using specific assets is enough constrains to make this fun and enjoyable.

What if there was a gamejam that provided the assets you have to use (so they're high quality) and the most creative / best application of them is the jam winner?
As an artist: booooooooooo. :p
Jokes aside, it could be fun. Like someone else said though, I'm pretty sure it was tried before, and im not sure how well it went. That said, I remember the assets being generic looking iOS type stuff, so that could've been why. I know *I* didn't like the graphics, at least.

hippyman

I can't find the actual topic and I think it's on the old forum but HayManMarc remembers what I'm talking about. If I remember correctly, I believe that I limited it to a certain set of images from Kenney rather than just saying use any and all of the assets available. This could be why it wasn't as interesting but honestly most of Kenney assets are like really high quality clip art. Not dogging on Kenney or anything. It's just that most of the art is extremely generic and a little too bubbly for some people (me included). Still great artwork, WAY better than I can do.

What if there was a gamejam that provided the assets you have to use (so they're high quality) and the most creative / best application of them is the jam winner?
There have been a few like this. The Kenney jam jumps to mind. Other weekly game jams offer assets too.