Windows Journey of Johann [OUT ON STEAM]

Apapappa

Steam Store:
store.steampowered.com/app/625630/

Gameplay Trailer:

Screenshots:

Story:
One day when Johann was asleep an alien spaceship came and stole his ale horn.
He is determined to get it back.

Description:
Journey of Johann is an action adventure platformer with puzzle elements.
Make your way through levels and bosses with different challenges and obstacles.
Collect goblets, secrets and beat time trials to unlock player skins, achievement and extra levels.
Use your weapons as tools such as climbing, blocking hits, lighting up darkness and defeating enemies.
The game was designed with speedrunning in mind.

Features:
103 levels in total with hours of gameplay.
42 achievements.
2 goblets, 1 secret, Silver and Gold time trials on each level. (with a few exceptions)

Play the game with a controller or the keyboard.

Misc:
My Twitter: https://twitter.com/ApapappaGames
My Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ApapappaGames

For more information about the game and other upcoming games.

Last edited:
G

GameQuester

I tested with my xbox 360 controller, but even after rebinding it didn't work. I couldn't bind the movement to the D-Pad and after binding them to the left stick, the movement didn't work. Beside that the game looks really nice and I will give some more feedback after playing a bit.

Jeremy

First impression, this looks great; you can clearly see a lot of work went into this.
I dig the art style, it's very well done and I'm in love with your logo.

So I whipped out my controller to test this for you, downloaded the game and was greeted by a lovely title screen.
Music sounds simple yet fitting; i like it.

Navigation controls in the menu were funky... see the spoiler for details.

Tried using the D-pad to navigate the menu (my prefered method over the thumbstick)
Nothing happened. I noticed everytime I pressed 'right' on the D-pad the game made a confirmation sound though...(same sound as in the intro)
When I moved the left thumbstick down, the menu navigated upwards and made that same sound a couple of times.
When I moved it up or left, nothing happened.
When I moved it right, It just made that same sound again.
When I moved the right thumbstick left or right, the menu navigated downwards and made that same sound a coulple of times.
I later tried the arrow-keys, and they worked as expected. Up-down and It didn't make the sound navigating like this; except when pressing left-right, but that's probably deliberate as you can't navigate left-right.

Took me some trial and error to navigate to the control bindings. (having to use X to select instead of the usual A button) It never took the D-pad as valid input, and the button name didn't always change when using the thumbstick.

Once I had gone through them I hit play.
My character immideatly started running left. (maybe threshold is too low?)
And I couldn't move him with the left stick. Using my right stick made him move a bit and then it stopped.
I had to use both sticks to control him, doing wierd direction combinations to make him move somewhere.
The sign told me to press buttons like JP_xxx (x being a digit), so those weren't really helpfull.

The game was unplayable to me...:(

I'd really like to give this another shot when I can play it (arrow-keys didn't work for me, maybe as a result of using a controller?)

The game seems great though, controller is just funky.
I'm willing to keep testing this for you with my controller until it works; shoot me a PM If you want to sent me small tests.

- Jeremy

Apapappa

Great job! :)
Thank you!

I tested with my xbox 360 controller, but even after rebinding it didn't work. I couldn't bind the movement to the D-Pad and after binding them to the left stick, the movement didn't work. Beside that the game looks really nice and I will give some more feedback after playing a bit.
So, clearly the xbox controller config does not work...
I'll see if I can get hold of an xbox controller.
If not, I'll do what I can without one to try and make it work.

Thanks for letting me know!

First impression, this looks great; you can clearly see a lot of work went into this.
I dig the art style, it's very well done and I'm in love with your logo.

So I whipped out my controller to test this for you, downloaded the game and was greeted by a lovely title screen.
Music sounds simple yet fitting; i like it.

Navigation controls in the menu were funky... see the spoiler for details.

Tried using the D-pad to navigate the menu (my prefered method over the thumbstick)
Nothing happened. I noticed everytime I pressed 'right' on the D-pad the game made a confirmation sound though...(same sound as in the intro)
When I moved the left thumbstick down, the menu navigated upwards and made that same sound a couple of times.
When I moved it up or left, nothing happened.
When I moved it right, It just made that same sound again.
When I moved the right thumbstick left or right, the menu navigated downwards and made that same sound a coulple of times.
I later tried the arrow-keys, and they worked as expected. Up-down and It didn't make the sound navigating like this; except when pressing left-right, but that's probably deliberate as you can't navigate left-right.

Took me some trial and error to navigate to the control bindings. (having to use X to select instead of the usual A button) It never took the D-pad as valid input, and the button name didn't always change when using the thumbstick.

Once I had gone through them I hit play.
My character immideatly started running left. (maybe threshold is too low?)
And I couldn't move him with the left stick. Using my right stick made him move a bit and then it stopped.
I had to use both sticks to control him, doing wierd direction combinations to make him move somewhere.
The sign told me to press buttons like JP_xxx (x being a digit), so those weren't really helpfull.

The game was unplayable to me...:(

I'd really like to give this another shot when I can play it (arrow-keys didn't work for me, maybe as a result of using a controller?)

The game seems great though, controller is just funky.
I'm willing to keep testing this for you with my controller until it works; shoot me a PM If you want to sent me small tests.

- Jeremy
Well this is weird, I have a non-xinput controller myself and everything seemed to work.
I even tested it on two other computers with two other non-xinput controllers and it still worked..
So I have no clue what the problem could be here.. but I'll do some more tests with the controllers.

The reason the signs/menu buttons say "JP_xxx" is that I have no way of knowing what button was pressed except for a number when using a non-xinput controller. (that I know of anyway..)

The menu makes the confirmation sound when pressing left/right on a non increase/decrease button.
This will be fixed, I've just been too lazy to fix that since it didn't seem like a huge problem. ^^

Also if you get stuck with the wrong key bindings, Arrow keys/Enter should always work so you can re-bind them.
I forgot to add this information to the menu navigation controls on the menu,
this will be in the next version as well as (hopefully) better working controllers.

And about the player running left, I'll check if there's any threshold options for non-xinput controllers.

If I need something I'll send you a PM.

Anyway thanks for the feedback, it really helps. :)

W

wagyu_so_gud

(with xbox controller): I can jump, but the directional/analog does not work. Couldn't get it to update/change button config either.

Apapappa

Just updated the demo.

v.0.99_J:
Johann now crawls out of the tent instead of instantly appearing.
Added Arrow Keys/Enter information to menu screen.
Restart button disabled in the Intro, Menu and Overworld.
Moved the button tooltips up a bit.
The menu buttons no longer make a sound when not supposed to.
Non-XInput controllers should now work a little bit better.
Updated Non-XInput controller button names. Might still not be the correct names but better than "JP_XX".
XInput controllers should now detect more buttons. (Untested, might get hold of an xbox controller next week)

Also if anyone has performance problems, you can press 'F1' to show the debug console
and then tell me FPS/Memory info.

FPS = Current FPS.
Spare = Theoretical leftover FPS.
MEM = Current memory usage.
SURFMEM = Current surface memory usage.
INST = Instances.

And yeah, you might notice there is a memory leak somewhere which I have not found the source of yet.

(with xbox controller): I can jump, but the directional/analog does not work. Couldn't get it to update/change button config either.
Xbox controllers might work a little bit better now in the new version.
No clue though since it's not tested yet.

Thanks for the feedback!

Jeremy

Good news: Key bindings menu now detects D-pad input.
Bad news: That was all the good news.

Left stick is used to navigate up in the menu, and right stick is used to navigate down.
Gameplay still doesn't seem to detect D-pad input, and I have to use both sticks to make my character move.
Jumping indeed works flawlessly.

W

wagyu_so_gud

Xbox controllers might work a little bit better now in the new version.
No clue though since it's not tested yet.

Thanks for the feedback!
No go. Start menu randomly moves at times, often times, unable to get it to respond to neither up/down. At the start of the game, player is moving to the left on its own.

Jeremy

At the start of the game, player is moving to the left on its own.
This.
I'm pretty sure somewhere in your code you have: gamepad_axis_value(0, gp_axisrh / gp_axisrv);
Where the r should be an l.
This is because I'm able to manipulate some aspects of both the menu and my character with my right stick.
I'm just trying to help.
- Jeremy

Apapappa

Good news: Key bindings menu now detects D-pad input.
Bad news: That was all the good news.

Left stick is used to navigate up in the menu, and right stick is used to navigate down.
Gameplay still doesn't seem to detect D-pad input, and I have to use both sticks to make my character move.
Jumping indeed works flawlessly.
Well I think I'm just gonna have to send you a PM with some tests.

Edit:
@Jeremy, Yeah I have that code in there but as far as I understand the gamepad_axis_value code does not work with non-xinput controllers. But yeah as I said above I'm gonna send you some tests.

No go. Start menu randomly moves at times, often times, unable to get it to respond to neither up/down. At the start of the game, player is moving to the left on its own.
Okay..
The xbox controller will have to wait until next week then when I can test it out myself. (hopefully)

And for everyone,
I always play with the keyboard so that should still work, so I guess you can try that instead while I figure this out.
Sorry for the inconvenience!

Last edited:

Apapappa

What are the functions you're using to get the surface memory usage and general memory usage?
Memory usage is the old CleanMem.dll I found a long time ago on the old forums.

Surface memory usage is an approximation so it could be completely wrong for all I know.
I found it somewhere on the internet some time ago.
It does however kind of keep in line with the GPU memory increases/decreases.

The calculation is as follows:
(Width*Height*4) / (1024*1024)

RangerX

Oh I see. I thought there might have been some undocumented function in vanilla GMS that I didn't knew about or something. :p

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
The graphics are really (really really really) cool! I love how the trees at the horizon are brighter lit than the trees in the shadow, that's a high quality subtle detail, and the landscape in the background even is similar to the foreground levels in style! The end result is really pretty, it's definitely one of the best 'very pixelly' style GM games I've seen in a while. :)

I think the opening post is kinda hard to read due to being all center aligned, though, especially where there are lines of very different length in succession... reading it becomes a really jerky, unnatural experience. I'd change that up ASAP.

Apapappa

The graphics are really (really really really) cool! I love how the trees at the horizon are brighter lit than the trees in the shadow, that's a high quality subtle detail, and the landscape in the background even is similar to the foreground levels in style! The end result is really pretty, it's definitely one of the best 'very pixelly' style GM games I've seen in a while. :)

I think the opening post is kinda hard to read due to being all center aligned, though, especially where there are lines of very different length in succession... reading it becomes a really jerky, unnatural experience. I'd change that up ASAP.
Thank you for the kind words about the graphics. ^^
And I changed the text heavy parts of the main post for easier reading as per your request.

Also small update to controllers not working:
Managed to get the buttons working I think, just trying to fix the binding of controls.
I'll update the demo when it all seems to be working.

Reactions: Yal

Apapappa

Demo updated. Controllers SHOULD be working now, please try it out if you can.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u.../journey_of_johann/Journey_of_Johann_DEMO.zip

v0.99_k:
Changed some controller button registering checks so that it will allow for even more buttons.
Adjusted XInput controller axis deadzone.
Added more frames to the tent crawling animation for a smoother experience.
Split up the graphics options into two menus and added a graphics quality button for easier configuring.
Updated the menu system for much easier button info updating.
Sound fade time increased to 1000ms from 250ms.
Backgrounds now fade instead of instantly switching to a darker colour when it starts raining.
Limited render scale to 400%.
Limited window scale to 600%.
Fixed a bug which caused multiple foliage to spawn in the same place.
Added the final 'cutscene' and credits.
Added skin unlock messages.
Controller button re-binding should now be working.
If you have a non-xinput controller it might not return the correct button name, but the button should still work.

G

GameQuester

Controller input worked just fine. I'm using a xbox 360 pad.

J

JealousOfCrows

Just played the first few levels of your game and I must say everything is pretty smooth. Animations and game play are really tight, the hit boxes on the weapons after you throw them into the wall are very precise. As everyone here has mentioned, the pixel art is excellent. I would love to know how you make the hair flow around like that as well as the skewed pixels from the brush and trees. Nice shaders on the beautiful pixel art will never go out of style. Not really sure what your scope is like for this game but as is I think it is very good. Climbing walls with your weapons is quite difficult due to the fact that you cant jump through your weapons. I ran into a few silly issues with enemies just jumping up and down on my head infinitely, but I don't think you should fix that as it is quite funny. There was one point that a weapon was stuck so far into the wall I couldn't grab it, that might need fixing, I couldn't reproduce it though. I do notice there is a tween (or some type of bouncy animation) on the jump up but not on the landing, and that the landing looks like you get close to the ground and then kind of like shoot into it. It isn't really noticeable unless you are really paying attention, it also might not even be real, could just be my crazy eyes.

Honestly, the game is quality. Right from the start the crisp menu animations and everything put together so sharply was indicative of some hard work. The only thing I could suggest is to add a dash mechanic in later on or something, I love dash mechanics. Well the best thing I can suggest is that you start blogging, and advertising this game ASAP before you release and to keep working hard!

Apapappa

I would love to know how you make the hair flow around like that as well as the skewed pixels from the brush and trees. Nice shaders on the beautiful pixel art will never go out of style.
The hair is pretty much just lengthdir's and tweens with a bit of gravity/wind added and the foliage swaying is indeed a shader.

Climbing walls with your weapons is quite difficult due to the fact that you cant jump through your weapons.
There's not really a whole lot of levels that require you to climb up walls with a single weapon.
So hopefully this will not cause too much of a problem.
Changing them to be 'jump-through' will likely not happen as my engine doesn't really support that at the moment.
And the game is too complete right now to make any substantial changes as that would most likely break a lot of things.

I ran into a few silly issues with enemies just jumping up and down on my head infinitely, but I don't think you should fix that as it is quite funny.
They try so hard to know what to do but sometimes they just don't get it right. :)
Yeah I can't make the enemies too smart, in fact, I think they're already too smart sometimes.
They can, but will not always do, for instance:
Dodge projectiles and flying weapons.
Run and pick up weapons and armor.
Steal your weapon.
Throw or shoot their weapon at you.
Detect spikes or endless pits.
And more.

I think you get what I mean.

There was one point that a weapon was stuck so far into the wall I couldn't grab it, that might need fixing, I couldn't reproduce it though.
Yeah, I've tried to limit this from happening and as you said, you couldn't reproduce it.
Hopefully this shouldn't happen too often when you throw your weapon, it is, however,
more likely to happen when enemies die with a weapon in their hand.

I do notice there is a tween (or some type of bouncy animation) on the jump up but not on the landing, and that the landing looks like you get close to the ground and then kind of like shoot into it. It isn't really noticeable unless you are really paying attention, it also might not even be real, could just be my crazy eyes.
It is definitely not your crazy eyes. :)
You do 'snap' to the ground when you land but there is actually a squish tween that happens as well.
I've increased that tween effect a tiny bit in the next version to make it slightly more noticeable.

About the snapping, It's just how my collision engine works.
I define a Max Slope amount and that also affect normal ground.
That's just how it turned out, but the nice thing is, it should work with any shape or form.
I can pretty much put any picture in there and the collisions/slopes should just work. (to an extent, obviously it's never going to be perfect)

The only thing I could suggest is to add a dash mechanic in later on or something, I love dash mechanics.
Well, that kinda already exists as well as wall jumping, wall sliding and variable jumping, they're just not enabled.
I didn't think those things fit into the game so I decided to keep them out.
So that is not going to be added.
Maybe for the next game. (if that happens) :)

Well the best thing I can suggest is that you start blogging, and advertising this game ASAP before you release and to keep working hard!
Well I do have a twitter. https://twitter.com/ApapappaGames
Although I just made that a few weeks ago so I'm pretty new to this social media stuff.
I've thought about maybe getting in touch with streamers after I've put this up on steam greenlight to bring in some more attention to the game.

I think that was all of it, as always, thank you so much for the feedback. :)

Apapappa

Back again with another update after some motivational issues.
This is probably the last demo update unless something is completely broken.

This is where I consider the game "Done".
So the next step would be creating a trailer and then steam greenlight.

v0.99_m:

//
First boss rework:

Removed almost all randomness.
Attacks now seem more like a pattern.
Increased his attack speed a bit.
Slightly less idle time.
Reduced the number of skeletons by 1.
Increased apple speed slightly.
//

//
Warping:

You can now warp to the first level of an area if you've completed that first level.
Only works in the overworld.
//

//
Instant Death changes:

Spike damage changed to 1 from instant death.
Laser damage changed to 1 from instant death.
Falling spike damage changed to 1 from instant death.
Getting crushed by things is still instant death.

This should not completely break levels and hopefully it will make the game less frustrating to play.
It will also open up more paths for speedrunners, which is, in my opinion, only good.
Too much instant death just felt a bit cheap.
//

//
Last boss rework:

Removed some randomness.
The fight now starts earlier.
Attacks now seem more like a pattern.
Reworked his patterns.
//

Main levels balanced.
Main level time trials added.
Bonus levels balanced.
Bonus level time trials added.
Fixed wrong positioning of unlock messages.
Trap sound issue fixed.
9 sound effects added.
Fixed some issues with the last boss.
Small HUD fixes.
Skip credits button added.
Fixed some menu issues.
Fixed broken goblets on all bonus levels.
Enemies should no longer get stuck on your head while attacking.
The third boss now starts the fight earlier.
Screenshake/Sound issue when an enemy gets hit by a laser fixed.
The Lasercannon is now more accurate.
Tweaked player friction and acceleration a tiny bit.
Fixed broken bouncing projectiles.
Adjusted the boss music a bit.
2 music tracks added.

Reactions: Yal

Apapappa

I'm in love with the aesthetics <3
Thank you!

Virustotal's score is 1/55, but it might be a false positive. Link to the scan result.
Yeah I have no idea why "CleanMem.dll" gets detected, it's an old dll from the old forums which i've used for a long time now.
The dll however, is not needed for the game to function, I just use it to see changes in memory usage.
I will probably remove it for the finished version of the game, as it was mostly used for debugging.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Yeah I have no idea why "CleanMem.dll" gets detected, it's an old dll from the old forums which i've used for a long time now.
Someone somewhere probably used it in a virus ages ago, and now it gets flagged as a false positive in legitimate applications as well. It's happened before a bunch of times and it'll probably happen again... and the older an DLL (or other resource) is the larger the chance of it being misused because it's been exposed to users (and misusers) for longer.

Sabnock

nice looking game but could not be bothered to keep trying to get past that first double jump blocked by a tree. not a good way to draw players into you game.

Smooth and very pretty graphics, great sound. not great jump puzzles at least not the one i couldn't be arsed to keep restarting the level when i died because of. a check point after that tree might be a good idea or put it at the end of the level, why is a tree trunk hang in mid air over a cavernous drop anyway?

i would like to play this more but won't because of this irritation.

Apapappa

This is REALLY GOOD. Congratulations man! I love how the hair moves haha!
Thanks, glad you like it!

Someone somewhere probably used it in a virus ages ago, and now it gets flagged as a false positive in legitimate applications as well. It's happened before a bunch of times and it'll probably happen again... and the older an DLL (or other resource) is the larger the chance of it being misused because it's been exposed to users (and misusers) for longer.
Yeah, you're probably right.

nice looking game but could not be bothered to keep trying to get past that first double jump blocked by a tree. not a good way to draw players into you game.

Smooth and very pretty graphics, great sound. not great jump puzzles at least not the one i couldn't be arsed to keep restarting the level when i died because of. a check point after that tree might be a good idea or put it at the end of the level, why is a tree trunk hang in mid air over a cavernous drop anyway?

i would like to play this more but won't because of this irritation.
If you mean this:
1.png

Then that is there to teach you exactly what the sign says.
I'm not trying to be rude but, IF the picture is what you mean, then I don't know what else to say.

If it is not what you mean, then it would be nice if you could post a screenshot of the problem.
You can press 'F10' to take a screenshot and it will be located in 'C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Journey_of_Johann' or something like that.

Thank you anyway!

Apapappa

Small progress update (demo not updated):

Screen_2016_10_6_8_31_30.png

Adding some achievements, there will be about 42 or so in total.
I've also removed CleanMem.dll since it's not really needed anymore.

Still working on the trailer for the game, videos are hard. :<
Guess that's it for now. :)

Apapappa

Journey Of Johann is now on Steam Greenlight!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=779120096

If you like the game, please vote Yes!

Trailer:

The demo has also been updated:

v1.0:
Fixed wrong positioning of icons in the overworld hud.
Fixed some background issues.
Fixed some tile issues.
First boss slightly nerfed.
CleanMem.dll removed.
Removed A LOT of grass.
The hud now fades away if the player is too high up on the screen.
Enemies are once again less likely to stand on your head and attack.
Added some more info on some buttons.
The menu now returns to the general menu when you close it with Escape/Start.
You can no longer pause during cutscenes.
The menu navigation information is now only visible in the main menu. (It was blocking other things)
Added animations to spikes. (So they stand out a bit better)

Added 40 Achievements.
Achievement menu button added in the general menu.
This menu displays various achievement information.

Vertex Buffer Method button added in the advanced graphics options.
Changing this might fix rendering problems on some computers.

Apapappa

I know I haven't posted here for quite some time but turns out Journey of Johann has been greenlit on steam!
Thank you for your support.

There is no release date yet but I'm currently working with @Adam Bow on some new music to spice the game up a bit.

I'm also going to be creating a new and hopefully better trailer with said music and other things I've changed since the last post.

So stay tuned I guess.

Also, have a gif. Because why not.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/21412255/DO_NOT_MOVE/journey_of_johann/JoJ_Greenlit1.gif

Current changes to the game (for those who care):
v1.2:
Changed a traps firing timer to alleviate some sound stress.
Added an achievement unlock notification message.
Master Speedrunner I achievement typo corrected.
Added a Mute Sound button to the menu.
Changed music and ambient sound fade time to 1ms.
Switched some skin unlock percents around.
Improved the skin unlock notification message.
Added a warp location unlock message.
Tweaked the world map level entrance sprite a bit.
Added 25 randomized death messages.
Fixed some spikes on the level "Watch Your Head".
Changed the pattern of a few "MiniVolcanoes" on the level "Lights Out" to alleviate some sound stress.
Fixed an invalid surface error when the game was minimized.
Fixed the position of the "Back" button on the "Achievement" and "Stats" screen.
Added 3 sound effects for the player on the world map.
Apparently there was a clone of the player on the world map, he has been dealt with.
Enabled "Create textures on demand" which lowered the memory usage a bit.
Improved the level completion process.
Added a time difference number to the level completion screen.
Added a small effect to the game logo.
Made the level "Volcano" a bit easier.
Fixed tile errors on all lava levels.
Fixed overlapping achievement notification messages.
Made the level "Auto Scroller" a bit easier.
Made the level "Action Throw" a bit easier.
Added a particle effect to laser cannons.
Added a music loop point system so that music can loop from other positions than the beginning.
Shuffle music actually works now and plays the current song until it has ended.
Added a previous best time number to the level completion screen.
Tweaked the level "My Little Pet Goat" a bit.
Fixed the time difference on the level completion screen calculating wrong numbers.
Increased the default "Sleep Margin" from 1ms to 5ms to help keep the framerate up at the cost of some CPU usage.
Improved the replay ghost quite a bit. Old ghosts are now broken. (not that it matters)
Added a skull icon to boss levels on the world map.
Vertical Sync now works outside of fullscreen.

Improved the bloom effect at the cost of a little bit of performance.
This also fixes previous problems such as background objects blocking the bloom effect.

Replaced "Render Scale" option with "Low-Res Mode".
This renders the game at a low resolution which is useful for very low end computers.

Increased the games resolution from 288x162 to 320x180 to allow for better scaling with 1080p.
It also makes the game look less zoomed in.
Had to fix about 40% of the levels to account for this.

v1.1:
Lowered skin/level unlock progress by 10%.
The World Map got a significant visual update.
Changed the rendering process a bit. (required for the world map update)
Fixed a warp bug which sent the player walking outside the world.
Made warping slightly more visually pleasing.
Fixed a small memory leak.
Fixed a tile issue on the level "Baby Steps".
Added a small grace period so that enemies won't instantly attack when you're attacking/stealing/picking up weapons.
Added 2 achievements.

D

dj_midknight

Looks fantastic. Grats on the greenlight. I can tell you put a lot of effort into this.

Xer0botXer0

Senpai
Wow, very good looking!

I see you first created this thread last year in July, and back then it already looked good, which means you must've put countless hours into the development already. There's a sense of joy to seeing a good project like this get greenlit.
Hope the sales run well enough to fund more projects!

Apapappa

Congrats for the Greenlighting! I
Thank you!

Looks fantastic. Grats on the greenlight. I can tell you put a lot of effort into this.
Thank you aswell.

Wow, very good looking!

I see you first created this thread last year in July, and back then it already looked good, which means you must've put countless hours into the development already. There's a sense of joy to seeing a good project like this get greenlit.
Hope the sales run well enough to fund more projects!
Thanks and yeah I've been working on this for a year and a few months or so.
Gamedev is pretty much all I do, so yeah countless hours is probably somewhat right. :p

Apapappa

So it's once again been a while since I last posted here and this took longer than expected but Journey Of Johann is now going to be released on steam May 19th!

Here's a link to the store page: http://store.steampowered.com/app/625630/

The new trailer is up on the store page featuring the new music and some other things.

So if you like the game, you know what to do. :p

Hopefully I will get better at updating projects in the future, but that's it for now.

Current changes for those who care:
v1.3:
The music volume is now 50% lower when the game is paused.
Added a sound for achievement/skin/other unlocks.
Added more sounds to menu interaction.
Spiced up a secret a little bit.
Various messages should now show up in front of hidden tiles.
Fixed the "button press" sprite not showing up on the "Back" button on the achievement and stats menu.
Removed a lot of unnecessary instances in the overworld.
Added a confirmation for enabling fullscreen. (my laptop/tablet gets a black screen without vertical sync on)
Added more information to the fullscreen button tooltip.
Improved performance of the pause/death screen.
Fixed a typo on the "Warp" menu button.
Removed grass swaying on the overworld. (it was barely noticeable anyway)
Removed some unnecessary tiles in the overworld.
Replaced the old title music with the new one.
Replaced the old grass music with the new one.
Replaced the old boss music with the new one.
Replaced the old snow music with the new one.
Replaced the old cave music with the new one.
Added the new Apapappa Games intro logo and sound.
Replaced the old castle music with the new one.
Fixed a background issue on the level "Boxes and Traps".
Fixed a background issue on the level "Trap".
Fixed a music issue on the level "Boxes and Traps".
Fixed a music issue on the level "Trap".
Skipping the game intro now properly stops the intro sound from playing.
Audio resources are no longer scattered all over the game folder. (This increased the games memory usage a bit)
Improved general performance.
The window scale button is now "N/A" when fullscreen is enabled.
Supposedly fixed a bug where the window would sometimes not get centered after disabling fullscreen.
Replaced the old cloud music with the new one.
Added bonus levels music track.
Overall music volume is now 50% lower.
Music now plays the corresponding track based on overworld area or boss room.
Music fade out/in time is now 0.5sec.
Replaced the old space music with the new one.
Fixed music volume reduction when pausing.
Added last boss music track.
Added level complete sound for all level types.
Default audio volumes are now: 40% Music, 80% Sound Effects, 60% Ambient.
Rewrote the music system because the old one was not ideal.
Fixed a bug where the armor hit sound effect didn't play when some enemies attacked you without a weapon.
Music in bonus areas now play the bonus song on the overworld and then the corresponding theme track inside the level.
Changed some traps firing timers to alleviate some more sound stress.
Improved the space ship sound effects.
Improved the wing flap sound effects.
Fixed loop points on the Cave, Grass and Bonus music tracks.
There is no longer a small pause when music tracks loop.
Lowered the volume of human enemy sounds and lasers a bit.
Increased the volume of ambient wind and space sounds a bit.
Increased the volume of the main menu music and the boss tracks a bit.
Increased the chance for weather to change on when entering a new level.
Increased the volume of the space ship sounds a bit.
The spaceship sound now fades out earlier.
There is now a slight delay before the level complete sound starts playing.
The menus now accept jump aswell as attack as confirm.
The music now fades longer when changing track.
Supposedly fixed a bug where two music tracks could play at the same time.
Increased volume of menu and boss music by 5%.
Supposedly fixed a bug where two music tracks could play at the same time again.
Lowered the bird flap sounds by 5%.
Increased music fade time by 250ms.
Lowered all atmosphere sounds by 5% except the wind which was lowered 2.5%.
The atmosphere sounds now fade in and out for 500ms.
Lowered the skeleton aggro sound by 15%.
Increased music volume when paused by 5%.
Lowered the volume of the lava atmosphere sound by 15%.
Added info that the "Jump" button also works as confirm on the main menu screen.
Added info that the "Jump" button also works as confirm when changing to fullscreen.
Fixed a bug where the music wouldn't fade in again after the level completion sound had played.
Fixed bonus level music having the wrong complete level sound effect.
Increased the volume of the "Game Complete" sound by 15%.
Steam API integrated.
Steam achievements added.
Steam screenshot function added.
Rewrote the ghost system for better integration with steam cloud. (no more extra ghost files, they are now stored in the main save file)
Steam cloud added.
Shuffle Music now actually works.
The Vertex Buffer Method button now plays a sound like every other button.
[2017-04-29 @ 11:08 AM] Fixed the background offset on the level "Spelunking".
[2017-04-29 @ 12:00 PM] Added Iron Man hud icon in the overworld.
[2017-04-29 @ 12:01 PM] Added Iron Man hud icon when inside a level.
[2017-04-29 @ 12:01 PM] Added Iron Man icon when completing a level.
[2017-04-29 @ 12:16 PM] Fixed a bug where ghosts were not loaded correctly.
[2017-05-05 @ 11:12 PM] The game no longer saves when traversing the world map. (reduces the effect of a memory leak, "ds_map_write" is the cause)
[2017-05-05 @ 11:22 PM] Removed sh_GaussBlur because it is no longer used.
[2017-05-05 @ 11:47 PM] Removed sh_SurfaceRescale because it is no longer used.
[2017-05-05 @ 11:50 PM] Added many more shader checks in case they are not supported.
[2017-05-06 @ 04:07 PM] Fixed saving when entering a level.