GMC Jam Discussion The Gratified GMC Jam #6 Discussion Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghandpivot

I've spent 3 hours trying to make a thwomp (like the one in the image)... It's unbelievable why I can't get it to work, I've done this for 11 years. I should be able to make a thwomp...

Edit:
I made it work. It went through several iterations using everything from gravity to paths, but it finally works!

Last edited:

Ralucipe

Haven't posted in a long long time. But here's a concept I've been crawling along with.

Shoot an enemy enough times to weaken it (but not destroy it). Then, use your stun-gun to freeze it - after it's stunned, you can merge with the ship and take control of its guns!
anything.gif

Stunning and converging with tons of ships at a time is honestly pretty entertaining. It's like Galaga on steriods!

How in the world do you work so quickly? Pre-made assets/mechanics? Working in familiar territory? Other?
For me it has to do with familiarity. I'm good enough at programming, that I'm basically limited by my typing speed (which is pretty fast), at least when I'm making a simple game like I do for jams. I'm not doing very much new concept stuff, just making a new game out of what I already know to do.

@Ralucipe That was one of the things our team had considered, before doing something else. Now I get to play both games!

andev

Can anyone recommend a control scheme for the following?

The functionality is:
  • Turn ship (always faces mouse so N/A)
  • Move ship forward
  • Shoot
  • Break (slow down)
  • Boost (hold to travel at uncontrollable speeds)
I currently have
  • Mouse - Turn ship
  • Space - Move ship forward
  • Click - Shoot
  • Control - Break (slow down)
  • Shift - Boost (hold to travel at uncontrollable speeds)

but it just feels so... meh.... I've tried W and S, but it feels so unintuitive combined with pointing at the mouse, because A and D don't move the ship sideways. I guess I could add sideways but I'd like to see if anyone has any ideas first....

I need to use mouse for ship direction, because the game will be impossible if you can't speed in a direction, then flick around to shoot behind you

I'm doing a ship game like that, and I just have it move in all directions. (WASD) make it so pressing a button makes you change speeds gradually over time, you can change direction faster if you press the opposite button, not just let go of the controls. That is braking. Then boost would be shift.

andev

I'm doing a ship game like that, and I just have it move in all directions. (WASD) make it so pressing a button makes you change speeds gradually over time, you can change direction faster if you press the opposite button, not just let go of the controls. That is braking. Then boost would be shift.
But then you can't turn around while still travelling the other direction :/

P

ParodyKnaveBob

@andev:
  • Mouse - Turn ship
  • Up (or W I guess) - Move ship forward
  • Click - Shoot
  • Down (or S I guess) - Break (break down) Brake (slow down) (lol $;^ P )
  • ...oh, somehow I didn't even see "Boost" being separate from "Move forward" ... that changes things even more... anyway, I did somehow register "some last function" and thought "Right Click" nevertheless ~shrug~
Well, I was gonna say that was pretty similar to yours, thus probably wouldn't work for you, except now I see it's even worse for missing a function. I'll adjust my second thought accordingly, then...
  • Mouse - Turn ship
  • Mouse (see Brake and Boost) - Move ship forward
  • Click - Shoot
  • Mouse near ship - Brake (slow down)
  • Mouse far from ship - Boost ...oh, "(hold to travel at uncontrollable speeds)" I suppose this only works if you have views going
Well, maybe I can spark something for you anyway, I don't know.

andev

@andev:
  • Mouse - Turn ship
  • Up (or W I guess) - Move ship forward
  • Click - Shoot
  • Down (or S I guess) - Break (break down) Brake (slow down) (lol $;^ P )
  • ...oh, somehow I didn't even see "Boost" being separate from "Move forward" ... that changes things even more... anyway, I did somehow register "some last function" and thought "Right Click" nevertheless ~shrug~
Well, I was gonna say that was pretty similar to yours, thus probably wouldn't work for you, except now I see it's even worse for missing a function. I'll adjust my second thought accordingly, then...
  • Mouse - Turn ship
  • Mouse (see Brake and Boost) - Move ship forward
  • Click - Shoot
  • Mouse near ship - Brake (slow down)
  • Mouse far from ship - Boost ...oh, "(hold to travel at uncontrollable speeds)" I suppose this only works if you have views going
Well, maybe I can spark something for you anyway, I don't know.
You've given me an idea! What about MB_Left to go forwards, MB_Right to break? Then space for shoot? I'll try it..!

JackTurbo

Can anyone recommend a control scheme for the following?

The functionality is:
  • Turn ship (always faces mouse so N/A)
  • Move ship forward
  • Shoot
  • Break (slow down)
  • Boost (hold to travel at uncontrollable speeds)
I currently have
  • Mouse - Turn ship
  • Space - Move ship forward
  • Click - Shoot
  • Control - Break (slow down)
  • Shift - Boost (hold to travel at uncontrollable speeds)

but it just feels so... meh.... I've tried W and S, but it feels so unintuitive combined with pointing at the mouse, because A and D don't move the ship sideways. I guess I could add sideways but I'd like to see if anyone has any ideas first....

I need to use mouse for ship direction, because the game will be impossible if you can't speed in a direction, then flick around to shoot behind you

My two cents:
  • [Mouse - Turn ship
  • RMB - Move ship forward
  • LMB- Shoot
  • left shift - Break (slow down)
  • space - Boost (hold to travel at uncontrollable speeds)
OR

• [Mouse - Turn ship
  • Spacebar - Move ship forward
  • LMB- Shoot
  • capslock- Break (slow down)
  • shift - Boost (hold to travel at uncontrollable speeds)

andev

Nice! I feel like a score of 6 is a bit weak considering I just travelled 10 lightyears but... I'll take it I guess haha

As for the control aspect, I feel like being able to move side to side would make my ship too easy to control, there's an aspect of craziness about only being able to accelerate. Like, you can only do one thing at once, whereas if you have a full "DPad" you can focus on shooting while still having control over your direction.

How about, just making it shoot all the time, and use mouse click to move ship forward. And can use right click for boost or break. And then space for the other or something like that.
That would be absolute carnage because my theme implementation is that bullets don't despawn until they hit something (excluding walls)...

My two cents:
  • [Mouse - Turn ship
  • RMB - Move ship forward
  • LMB- Shoot
  • left shift - Break (slow down)
  • space - Boost (hold to travel at uncontrollable speeds)
OR

• [Mouse - Turn ship
  • Spacebar - Move ship forward
  • LMB- Shoot
  • capslock- Break (slow down)
  • shift - Boost (hold to travel at uncontrollable speeds)
That sounds very promising actually, I'll give it a shot

Last edited:

andev

upload_2017-11-25_17-37-44.png

I think this is the best scheme of them all. It feels kinda weird but maybe that's just from using the other controls for so long.... Thank you so much, I guess I have to have a credits page now lol

P

ParodyKnaveBob

@ repliers (and Yal who mentioned "generic AI")

Familiarity seems to be where I fall short, then. I've programmed for nearly thirty years now, and I've used GM off-and-on for about fifteen. All self-taught, though, and mostly UI and tools, even commercially. I have made / worked on games, but very few quite frankly, and every time, something completely different. Games in GM:
  • Grid-based maze mystery-exploration-adventure built for the primary purpose of "correctly" using only GM Legacy's built-in features and assets which people said were bad, lol. (Like, you could style the show_message() dialogs very nicely, you know...) I wanted to put this on the Sandbox...
  • Point-and-click logic game that could even record your play for self-review and sharing with others. $:^ J
  • Grid-based comedic arcade button-masher for old-GMC Jam #3 inspired by "Entombed" for Atari 2600 (and borrowing a reconstructed version of the first game's movement).
  • (Souped-up remake/sequel of previous game to be all awesome and monetize and stuff.)
  • Educational review quiz to be hosted from a particular website, (replacing a client's tired, old, obsolete Java quiz, and vastly improving on it,) loading each set of questions/answers based on URL and presenting them randomly.
  • RPG grown from a ridiculous joke with family, eventually intended for us all to actually work on it when a 3-month RPG contest popped up suddenly.
  • EDIT: True vector graphic generic space shooter, finished in 1-2 hours for YYG's Marketplace "audition" as it were.
Ranged from 100% to 20% done, ha. Lost it all because reasons. Along with the source to all my commercial tools. Along with the source to my seriously incredible menu system (which people voluntarily commented on when they saw it in games! ..never mind how sweet it was under the hood) that I was one day away from publishing to the GM Marketplace. Since then:
  • Cute, pretty little point-and-click arcade action for 2-week "Spring Challenge."
  • Overhead fetch-quest / crafting / upgrades / adventure for Jam such-and-such as Team Auctor which died a terrible death and finally got slapped together in an hour as a buggy fetch-quest-at-best, ha.
  • Started helping @TheUltimate port to GMS, (then we started completely remaking, redesigning,) an action platformer with comedic+dramatic fourth-wall-breaking and typing mechanics.
  • Ha, started something with @HayManMarc, but we never even got to the first GMX file. $F^ } (Not that I'm calling it a loss yet!)
  • Started a toned-down action platformer with Ult as practice...
Maybe those range from 5% to 20% done? Ha. At least the point-and-click alpha was playably finished. I also made some games for the TI-82 and voiced the protagonist (and an antagonist) for a commercial game not made in GM. (I don't know who's actually reading all of this. Sorry for rambling. I guess on some level I just want to see this to feel better about some kind of accomplishment (whether full or partial), despite memories of because reasons.)

Game I was making for this GMC Jam? Mini-RPG. (Very short quest to keep the scope.) Familiarity?
  • Probably just the characters' feel and literary techniques for humor.
  • Oh, and I can whip up a pleasant pause screen pretty quickly; if I'd gotten that far, I probably would've borrowed code I wrote for Ult's and my WIPs (practically from memory of what I'd made and remade years ago heh).
  • Likewise, title screens can be simple enough.
Otherwise?
  • Party mechanics from scratch.
  • Basic movement from scratch.
  • Artwork from scratch (although I did look on the Marketplace for sprites; one looked promising for a great price, but for a project I didn't even know might make it or not, any price above free was too much; only made two fully fleshed out chars' sprites, though, and no backgrounds).
Stuff I still needed?
  • Movement-following mechanic from scratch; this is what I was working on when I projected the progress vs. time (re: eventual text-heaviness that needed writing) and gave up.
  • Blasted menu from scratch (which I shouldn't have to do!!!!!! but anyway).
  • Movement-collisions from scratch; I might would've borrowed some of my rewritten code from Ult's and my WIPs.
  • Design+mechanics for battle screen from scratch.
  • Create/acquire audio and write the mechanic from scratch; I could probably make sound effects as usual, but who knows about music .. maybe look up Kevin McLeod whose work I see everywhere.
  • Story's minimum twelve rooms from scratch.
  • Surprising amount of dialog from scratch due to game concept despite short quest (I'd say the #1 reason I dropped out of the jam, because this was the reason for the game in the first place).
  • Dialog mechanics from scratch.
  • General GUI (including prompts to take action) from scratch.
Even stuff I have built before... I need to rebuild my library.
I don't want to rebuild my library: I want my library. ~exhale~ But whatever.

Since I have a couple more hours available, I might as well go try to make a nice #screenshotsaturday for my latest (public, non-commercial, niche audience) tool WIP. (I still have to use this GIF-making software for the first time. Wow, more unfamiliarity to overcome..... Anyway! Gotta move on.)

Regards, all. Sorry again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
(and Yal who mentioned "generic AI")
When I mentioned "generic AI", I just meant "enemies all use the same AI script, just with different speed and shooting parameters". Sorry if I came off as using premade libraries or anything along those lines.

Also, here's stuff in action :D Still some work left to do before it's a "game" but it's finally some palpable, sweet progress :3
upload_2017-11-25_21-37-32.png

ghandpivot

I've done it again. I know that adventure platformers aren't feasible 1 man projects for a 72 hour jam, yet I still keep picking the formula... There's just too much graphics, mechanics and audio for one man to create to make it more than 5 minutes long while still keeping it interesting.

P

ParodyKnaveBob

When I mentioned "generic AI", I just meant "enemies all use the same AI script, just with different speed and shooting parameters". Sorry if I came off as using premade libraries or anything along those lines.
No need to apologize! Although it might've sounded like pre-made, it mostly just came off as familiar, which was the primary focus of that rant-at-mostly-self.

How many people have officially dropped out? :(
Subtract one off that list. The Knave is back. $B^ ]

While away for awhile, I mulled things over, and three memories stuck out at me.
  1. Even when everything fell apart with Team Auctor's members (sickness, work calling, Internet outage, etc.), I still refused to do nothing and whipped us up an entry, period.
  2. In my listing stuff above, I'd forgotten, (and now have edited it in,) I made a super basic, yet not unenjoyable, open source game for YYG's review for my Marketplace Publisher account -- and I did it in only an hour or two.
  3. In the final stretch of hours of the Jam, unless something goes horribly wrong (or right?), I will have a few short hours available.
I'm back in. I already know the game I'll make, and on the last day, I'll come blazing in with an entry after all. Boom.

Until then,
Bob $}^ J

Ralucipe

wish Id known about this when there was more time...
Who said there isn't enough time left?
Sure, it's a bit late to get started, but if you just keep your concept simple you could still perform well.

No need to apologize! Although it might've sounded like pre-made, it mostly just came off as familiar, which was the primary focus of that rant-at-mostly-self.

Subtract one off that list. The Knave is back. $B^ ]

While away for awhile, I mulled things over, and three memories stuck out at me.
  1. Even when everything fell apart with Team Auctor's members (sickness, work calling, Internet outage, etc.), I still refused to do nothing and whipped us up an entry, period.
  2. In my listing stuff above, I'd forgotten, (and now have edited it in,) I made a super basic, yet not unenjoyable, open source game for YYG's review for my Marketplace Publisher account -- and I did it in only an hour or two.
  3. In the final stretch of hours of the Jam, unless something goes horribly wrong (or right?), I will have a few short hours available.
I'm back in. I already know the game I'll make, and on the last day, I'll come blazing in with an entry after all. Boom.

Until then,
Bob $}^ J
Glad to have you back.

I always like to think that something is better than nothing - that, if you put in at least a smidgen of an effort, your entry will contribute to the quality and spirit of the Jam.

S

Sinaz20

Something to show!

@FredFredrickson has been working on the UI, but we haven't put anything in yet.

In this vid, I fly around while good guys and bad guys are swarming in an area. I press the "Form up!" button, and my entire squad rushes into a wing-group formation. After a few seconds, I let go of the form up button, ordering them to scramble, and they begin swarming a new area.

There are two other formations, and they all change the properties of your movements and attacks.

BWA HA HA HA HA!

Finished the code for my whole game. Tomorrow will be sprite/sound implementation, and bug fixing.

Also, there's a super intense boss at phase 5. It's very difficult.

mimusic

I spent a lot of time over the past few months teaching myself shaders and other graphics related programming things, so I'm trying to put those skills to good use. This is my first time ever participating in a Jam of any sort, so I have no idea if my pacing is gonna get me there in time or not. Here's to hoping I can pull it off!
mimusic_prevGif2.gif

Micah_DS

So... developing has been like a war this time around. I ran into so many problems. I mean, even more than past jams. So, I only have this so far. But hey, the rooms converge at least.

TBH, I feel a bit...

Just a bit, but...

I GET KNOCKED DOWN, BUT I GET UP AGAIN~!

V

Vyking

I'm confused as to how to get my .zip file onto the forums. My game is done, I have a .zip file, but now I'm stuck. The template helped a bit but it just says post a link to your game but idk how. If anyone could help that'd be great.

I'm confused as to how to get my .zip file onto the forums. My game is done, I have a .zip file, but now I'm stuck. The template helped a bit but it just says post a link to your game but idk how. If anyone could help that'd be great.
Upload it somewhere like Dropbox or Google Drive and leave a link in your post.

Nallebeorn

I spent a lot of time over the past few months teaching myself shaders and other graphics related programming things, so I'm trying to put those skills to good use. This is my first time ever participating in a Jam of any sort, so I have no idea if my pacing is gonna get me there in time or not. Here's to hoping I can pull it off!
<snip>
It looks very cool at least! I have no idea what is going on, but it's pretty :)

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Getting stuff done:

I've uploaded a minimal viable versions (game isn't TOO broken, but has no polish or audio). Unless I collapse from overexertion, I'll at least add in some audio and perhaps some VFX, but now I'm officially not dropped out at least.

C

ColtonPhillips

I hate to do this but I'm sick this weekend, and about to submit ma jam game. I need to make five posts before I'm able to do this... gonna break off at least two here ... :)

C

ColtonPhillips

I swear I thought I was posting regularly on this forum but, alas, maybe I was a lurker.

My game is simply named Convergence: Right To Left as that is how the player moves in the game. It's graphics abuse the fact that there is no background in the room so the objects refresh over top each other repeatedly ;)

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
My game is posted! Kinda running out of energy, so it's not super-cool or anything, but I guess it's a bit more polished than Twowt, at least...

S

Storyteller

you guys are awesome!

if I had half any of your talents...

keep it up!
way to go!

Status
Not open for further replies.