GMC Jam Discussion The Gratified GMC Jam #6 Discussion Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TraceM

My first game jam and only third game, really. I'm struggling with separating the ideas of convergence and accumulation. I think convergence as an idea distinct from accumulation is the meeting of parts by fate, coincidence, or design. Accumulation can be applied to anything from exp levels to inventory items, which makes the problem easier, but it moves too far away from the theme, IMO.

L

LordThoorin

Wow, those games you show here looks so good! I am worried I am gonna be at last place again. :-D

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
?!?!?! ~checks matharoo's age~ What's wrong with up with wrong with you kids today? Use a dictionary to look up more possible meanings and interpretations! (Personally, I like Dictionary.com since it pulls from several dictionaries you can compare/contrast all at once.)
Google does lead you to sites like Dictionary, Thesaurus, Merriam-Webster, etc. so it is kinda what I meant.

andev

What about a game where you have to combine abilities to complete a gauntlet?

At the start, you're shown the level. Perhaps a massive canyon, or lots of spikes and platforms. You then have vials of elixir for skill, speed, jump height, acceleration, health, ability to stop, etc, and you mix them together in various quantities to gain a % of those abilities. Then you complete the level with those boosts.

So for the canyon level you'd just choose a high percentage of speed and jump height, for instance. Points awarded for shorter time taken to complete the level, and maybe even using less elixir (less than 100% in total).

S

Sinaz20

My first game jam and only third game, really. I'm struggling with separating the ideas of convergence and accumulation. I think convergence as an idea distinct from accumulation is the meeting of parts by fate, coincidence, or design. Accumulation can be applied to anything from exp levels to inventory items, which makes the problem easier, but it moves too far away from the theme, IMO.
Just go with it! If your use of theme is a bit interpretive, maybe you'll get a lot of votes for being refreshingly tangential.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Crawling off to bed way too late... I've got a serious idea which might be a bit too big for the union of my energy and my spare time, and /dev/null joke ideas. I can already tell this is gonna be my best jam ever.

Do normal people converge when they do normal people stuff together? I guess I could try making a game about normal people but with an oversimplifying twist. Like a church simulator where you try to wed as many people as possible. WEDDING CLICKER
or idk a Katamari Damacy clone perhaps, spending like 60 minutes on physics and then the rest of the time making objects to converge with

we'll see what my feverish nightmares will help me come up with... you'll all see hahahahaHAHAHAHAHAA
okay I'm off to sleep for real now :p

P

ParodyKnaveBob

Oiill caan..
Ooilll caaannn...

I'm so rusty using GM. $F^ }
Even something as simple as getting the ord() of certain symbols to activate debug operations is killing me. $F^ }

EDIT: That is to say, I slightly changed my debug input because of that. Witw.

Last edited by a moderator:

TehPilot

Ok... can we get a little basics on how you made that electricity effect? It looks great!
Sure thing. One of the things I noticed playing around one day with GM was that the draw_line_width command, when given a width less than 1, would draw partial or dotted/sparse lines. I used this for a lightning bolt effect, where I would draw some connected, jagged lines and over time scale their width smoothly down to zero. It caused them to fade out quite nicely.

I'm being lazy using separate objects for each segment, but the idea is every object draws a line between two points that fades out quickly. The first line is always from the center of the player's collision mask (a tiny, 4x4 object that is invisible) to a randomly sampled point around the player. After a frame (or specified delay), make another segment from that last sampled point to a new sampled point. Keep going, make sure to clear away old objects/data, and that's how I got the basic trail.

I also employed a little math and variable tracking to further improve the effect. One thing I do is track which direction the player is moving, and then the difference of the player's location and the sampled point location. I use this to assign a depth to the segment object, which allows me to have the electricity "wrap around" the cable. I went in to the project and made the segment draw in red if it's a lower depth, just to demonstrate what I mean. You can also see the partial/dotted line effect really well in this closeup:

Another thing you'll notice: I draw a white line with a slimmer width right after the colored line, just as a small visual thing. Not super optimized, but a starting point. Looks great and I got it done quickly, so it stays as-is for this Jam.

P

ParodyKnaveBob

All these screenshots and things were pretty motivating in the first couple/few hours. Now that I've about run out of my weekend's main stretch of free time, and I'm debugging the simplest of things for way too long (in this case, why my image_index is hanging at 0 when absolutely nothing should be making it do that), I'm feeling pretty demotivated. $:^ [

EDIT: It's been so long since I've animated a sprite, I took the sprite-animating preview number (which anyone with a lick of experience is more akin to room_speed) and assigned it to image_speed, doing basically the exact opposite of what I wanted. I wound up testing like everything else first before tracking that down. ~siiigh~

I like my concept, but the jam crunch (with my hardware taking minutes between builds many times) scorns me. I could make this outside the jam, except it's intended to be a small concept which really doesn't work for me outside the jam. ~exhale~ Not cool. $:^ \

Last edited by a moderator:
P

ParodyKnaveBob

I'm out. Question for anyone/everyone. How in the world do you work so quickly? Pre-made assets/mechanics? Working in familiar territory? Other?

JackTurbo

I'm out. Question for anyone/everyone. How in the world do you work so quickly? Pre-made assets/mechanics? Working in familiar territory? Other?
I know what you mean! Some of the guys here and on the discord have created remarkable progress. I'm hyped to play what everyone has built :)

@Ninety - Love the progress so far! Your artwork looks fantastic, particularly like your environment tileset.

Ninety

Thanks @JackTurbo!

Well, I don't know if I'm working quickly, but the art of my game is very familiar territory for me, and I've made tons of platformer engines before. I did adapt a couple small scripts; everything else is new for the jam.

EDIT:
The titular "howler monkeys" are in...

Last edited:

Micah_DS

Annnnnd I still haven't got anything to show. Well, I do have a colored square for the player, but he doesn't move yet. I also have a seemingly solid concept of dungeon crushing. Not too bad since I worked today and had to go grocery shopping afterwards, and I got home after 2 AM. But anyway, time to sleep for now (after a tiiiiiny bit of coding), and tomorrow it's go time!

BTW, I'm more excited than ever to play all the games. I'm seeing some reallllly cool stuff.

N

nlolotte

Annnnnd I still haven't got anything to show. Well, I do have a colored square for the player, but he doesn't move yet. I also have a seemingly solid concept of dungeon crushing. Not too bad since I worked today and had to go grocery shopping afterwards, and I got home after 2 AM. But anyway, time to sleep for now (after a tiiiiiny bit of coding), and tomorrow it's go time!

BTW, I'm more excited than ever to play all the games. I'm seeing some reallllly cool stuff.
I feel you on this one just got back from working over time and now I’m zapped.

ghandpivot

Some quality stuff are being posted, really cool! Looking forward to playing everyone's entries.
I'm currently tracing my second map, this game will consume way more time than intended and will probably be played through in less than 5 minutes...
My devlog is usually dumps of my dual monitors, so as usual here's what I'm up to!

And here's what the game looks like so far!

Last edited:

JackTurbo

Kinda thinking my scope is much smaller than you guys and yet I still have less to show haha

Also I just spent the last hour working out why my build wasnt working in HTML 5 :/

Sorted now though.

Y

Yotzer

hi guys
new here.
i want to participate in the jam but i am not so sure i understand how to enter.
do i just make a game and publish here?

Ninety

@aamatniekss That's a shame! Your game looked really good as well :(

hi guys
new here.
i want to participate in the jam but i am not so sure i understand how to enter.
do i just make a game and publish here?
Welcome! If you look in the GMC Jam Wu forum, where this thread is posted, you'll see a Games thread to post your entry in. The first page of this thread has the rules and theme. Good luck!

Edit: ninja'd...

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Made some frameworking and movement around and stuff. Enemies should work now, using generic AI... just gotta make some bullets and attack patterns and sprites before I can actually test it. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.