Opinion Sonic Mania and Project 2017 Thoughts

A

Alex Lyons

I watched all of the 25th Anniversary party last night, and I have never been glued to my monitor for four hours much like last night. They did all sorts of activities such as Q&A, clips of Sonic Boom season 2, and a costume contest. But, the real meat of the matter are the two big game reveals. I got to see the crowd go nuts for Sonic Mania, and then die of a heart attack on the Project '17 trailer.

What's my thoughts?

SONIC MANIA

I don't care what anyone else says, this game looks PHENOMENAL! People gripe and whine about how this looks like your typical 2D Sonic fangame. To that, I say they're right, but SEGA and Christian Whitehead went out of their way to give it that 90's flare that the other fangames seemed to lack. Look at Stereopolis! Absolutely gorgeous.

Don't you just love the Sonic CD soundtrack? GOOD. If you look up this game's soundtrack, you will find it uses the same musical style as Sonic CD. It's going to be one of those soundtracks that you can just plug in some headphones and listen to aside from playing the game.

Best part? It's going to have a PC release!

It really sickens me to find scumbag fans on the video before the next announcement already dissing this saying that it's not the "Modern" game they were waiting for? I bet they got schooled with our next reveal:

PROJECT 2017

HOLY. CRAP.

There's nothing beautiful about burning city and giant killer robots smashing everything up, but it does look pretty sick. Sonic must have a lot to go up against in this one. I wonder if Eggman finally took over the world. Would it be in his best nature to destroy everything? I mean, this isn't the SatAM Robotnik we're talking about. Is it? Who knows.

I hope to see cameos from all sorts of characters. Tails and Knuckles are a must. It's supposed to be the 25th anniversary game (a year ahead of the anniversary) after all! I hope to see Shadow, Amy, Metal Sonic, and hopefully even Silver and Blaze! This wasn't the game debut of Cosmo the Seedrain I was hoping for, but I'll accept anyone. Yes, even a Big the Cat cameo.

And then there was Classic Sonic. I honestly was not expecting him again, but I guess SEGA didn't want to scrap the model they did for Generations just yet. This means we're going to have classic and modern style levels again, except everything is new. Perhaps Classic Sonic could be given 3D treatment this time. It's all up in the air right now.

Guess what much of the fans did? If you guessed moan and complain about Classic Sonic, you are one right bastard! In the words of a legendary 12 year old:
"YOU FRICKIN' FRICKS JUST CAN'T EVER BE QUENCHED"

Lastly, did you look at the lower right hand corner of the systems screen? Does the letters NX strike your attention? That's right! Nintendo is releasing their NX shortly. I feel bad for all you kids who just spent years trying to convince your parents for a Wii U.

G

GVmG

Sonic Mania looks pretty nice, and imo the only reason why it looks like a Sonic fangame is because Sonic fangames look like original Sonic games to begin with.

As for Project 2017, I hope it's not gonna end like it did in 2006.

WHEN WILL YOU LEARN THAT YOUR ACTIONS HAVE CONSEQUENCES?!?

G

GhostlyFeline

Sonic Mania looks great. I'm super hyped for that one. It looks like they finally got the physics right this time (*coughSonic4cough*), so if the level design is good, this one's definitely a winner. Also, that title screen animation is DOPE.

Project 2017 is one that I'm much more cautious about. Now, Sonic Generations is still my favorite modern Sonic game, so seeing that they said that the team behind Colors and Generations is working on it gives me at least some hope. It's also nice to see Classic Sonic back for this one, although I still maintain that the Modern Sonic sections of Generations were way more compelling. I've been saying for years that if they made Generations 2, or at least something in a similar style, I'd be happy. All of that being said, it's a teaser trailer with no gameplay. I can't make a fair judgement on the game until I see it in action.

FredFredrickson

Artist, designer, & developer
GMC Elder
Yeah, I can't wait for this. It looks like the game I've been waiting to play since I finished Sonic & Knuckles back in the mid-90's.

Will probably pick this up for my Xbox One when it's out. :)

Roa

Yep... I dont understand how anyone can hate this. Sonic has been pretty garbage since it hit 3d, even their beloved Sonic Adventure is pretty dodgy at best.

Some concepts just don't transition well to 3d, and its taken them 20 years to figure this out.

Last edited:
T

Toni

Some concepts just don't transition well to 3d, and its taken them 20 years to figure this out.
Not actually a fair or true statement at all. There's about as many kids who grew up with games like Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 as with the original classics, and they'd all fight you on this.
Actually, I'll fight you on this. You're wrong.

Though, I grew up with the classics first. Before getting a GameCube and getting those Sonic Adventure ports. :p

R

rougebare

Personally the first game I ever played was Sonic 2 at a friends house, but it's the only sonic game I've played (other than Sonic Adventure 2) which I haven't completed, and the only one I don't own. Sonic 3 and Knuckles remains in my top 3 of sonic games, the other two being Sonic Adventure and Sonic Colours. (Incidentally, It's hard for me to say exactly what order those 3 are in.) If curious why I think SA is better than SA2, it's simply because i enjoy more of the gameplay in the original. I enjoyed 4 out of 6 gameplay styles (Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Gamma) in the original, but I only enjoy 1 and a half styles in SA2 (Sonic, Shadow and Eggman, while tails has the same play-style as Eggman, it doesn't really fit him imo, and seems shoehorned in.) I'd argue that Sonic's 3D style in Sonic adventure and 2 (I'm refering only to sonic's playstyle here) is pretty much a direct port of the 2D gameplay to 3D.

Anyhow I am interested in both titles announced, but I'm not really that opinionated on them, at the moment.

A

Alex Lyons

Another thing I hope Project '17 does is have just one story mode where Sonic collects the emeralds in this story mode and has a Super Sonic showdown with whatever the hell he's up against as a final boss. I did not like how they handled it in Adventure 1, Heroes, and ESPECIALLY in Shadow the Hedgehog. I'd have to do the same thing over and over again just to get a "true ending". Sonic Adventure 2 was decent in the sense that the two story modes had completely different levels.

I'd also like to see other playable character modes in this story mode. I don't want them to be too radically different like in the Adventure games; something similar to what they had in Heroes where it was all generally the same gameplay mode but with slight changes based on the characters.

This game has a LOT of potential.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
The 3D Sonic games has consistently been bad for long enough that I've stopped getting them, and with the stuff released after Colors, it kinda feels like it being good was just a stroke of luck. I find it sad that the only thing Sonic Team can do to make games the fans will enjoy is letting a couple of fans make the games for them - the Sonic Mania team includes a bunch of people originally behind Sonic Retro Remix and Sonic 2 HD, two of the most impressive fangames/mods.

To me, the worst part with the 3D games aren't the platforming... it's the story slowwwwwwwwwwwwing the gammmmmmmmmmmmmme downnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn. What's wrong with putting it in the beginning of the game and then just let you run through stuff breaking robots? The games are really good at getting 'show, don't tell' wrong and top it off with atrocious voice acting, and also bogging the gameplay down with gimmicks that distract from the core gameplay (like Knuckles' fragment seeking levels, vehicle sections, torch-lighting puzzles, and THAT DAMN TSUNDERE SNOWBALL). I'm way more excited for Mania than Project17.

Roa

The 3D Sonic games has consistently been bad for long enough that I've stopped getting them, and with the stuff released after Colors, it kinda feels like it being good was just a stroke of luck. I find it sad that the only thing Sonic Team can do to make games the fans will enjoy is letting a couple of fans make the games for them - the Sonic Mania team includes a bunch of people originally behind Sonic Retro Remix and Sonic 2 HD, two of the most impressive fangames/mods.

To me, the worst part with the 3D games aren't the platforming... it's the story slowwwwwwwwwwwwing the gammmmmmmmmmmmmme downnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn. What's wrong with putting it in the beginning of the game and then just let you run through stuff breaking robots? The games are really good at getting 'show, don't tell' wrong and top it off with atrocious voice acting, and also bogging the gameplay down with gimmicks that distract from the core gameplay (like Knuckles' fragment seeking levels, vehicle sections, torch-lighting puzzles, and THAT DAMN TSUNDERE SNOWBALL). I'm way more excited for Mania than Project17.
lmao

I never understood this at all, like they want to build some reason for their existence and romances and stupid complex plots that a 10yo could unravel if it wasn't for non stop deus ex machina plotanium. Like dude... no one plays sonic for story XD. It slows every down and its sooo pretentious and cringy that I can't help but laugh. They tried to make a cartoon anthropomorphic hodgheg edgy. I was choking and spewing soda from my nose when I saw sonic 2006's intro. I seriously thought it was some autistic fan made fict in blender, like I can't believe someone in art direction put those models with completely different properties and styles in a game together and was like "Yep, this is fine". In one of them, the black one even gets guns and I'm just like what!! What happened? I thought this was a sonic game?

Like, I don't need a story guys. A hedgehog breaking capsules to free animals was enough. Running around and watching him go through loops and and springs and rolling paths was half the fun, seeing if you could respond and keep a rhythm and flow going. Follow him with your eyes to see how extreme it gets. Can't even do that in 3d. The camera angles are terrible and the sense of speed doesn't work because it comes from a completely different sense. In the 2d, it was about seeing a mini ruby goldberg machine take place reminiscent to a pinball machine. In 3d, you always see where you are going and everything is a predictable path so no matter how fast you make the character go, you don't get that same excitement of crazy motion. It just makes the game harder to control and then they over compensate with limiting player input and automation. In my opinion, there is no such thing as a good 3d sonic. They lost their direction in so many ways.

FredFredrickson

Artist, designer, & developer
GMC Elder
I agree, outside of trying to translate firmly 2D game mechanics to 3D, the story is really where Sonic series of games took a nosedive. Sega made the universe way, way too complicated, and for me (and I suspect, many others) the added weight of the story and all the stupid peripheral characters made it impossible to even try to enjoy many of the game(s).

Reactions: Yal
T

The Shatner

Wow. Just wow.
I am a huge Sonic fan. This hedgehog made my childhood and he is responsible for making me a videogame lover. I loved Sonic Generations (please don't hate me too much for this), but I was sad that the game was so short. Anyways, I hope that Mania is as good as the old Sonic 3K that I still play to this very day.
I have lower expectations for Project 2017, however, but boy, I hope I am wrong. That thing's got potential.

A

ajan-ko

Sonic mania is good.

But sonic 2017 just... IDK. Why make 3d sidescroller when Sonic mania just far better?
I think sonic 3d should be more polished adventure style with no gimmick, no werewolf, no BS, no new characters (except maybe new enemy)
I watch new trailer, you can make custom original chara.

Last edited: