GMC Jam Discussion The Gratified GMC Jam #6 Discussion Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

dadio

Potato Overlord
GMC Elder
POLTERGEIST would be a very interesting theme for sure.
It's an awkward positioning of letters, I can't help but wonder if it's not POLTERGEIST, that the theme may be in a different language...
hmmm...
Guess we'll have a clearer idea once another letter is revealed!
Only a few days to go now! :)

ghandpivot

Sooner Ends - Our games must have quick, unexpected endings.
Cooler Ears - Idk, some dude with ugly ears and then another one with cooler ones. Might be too specific.

Hmm, or maybe
Doctor Evil
Mother Eyes

R

Ruhar

I haven't entered since the time loop jam (Glitch in the Game was my game if any of you remember). I've been too busy with web stuff and C++ but now I'm back. My programming knowledge has doubled since my last jam, so I think I'll be a tougher competitor this time around.

Are there any somewhat competent musicians hanging around here looking to collab? An artist would be cool too.

R

Ruhar

Also, for any potential partners, I'll be using 1.4. I haven't familiarized myself with 2 enough yet.

Micah_DS

I posted this on the GMC Jam discord server, but figured I'd post here too.

@Aegirbard inspired me to try 1-bit pixeling for the first time. After hours of fumbling about, this is my result:

1-Bit Limits _ 01-D 3x.png
Since it took me hours just for this stuff, it looks like I'll avoid 1-bit for this jam, since I'm not practiced up enough to work well/fast enough within the limits, but I definitely recommend aspiring pixel artists to practice with these limits. It certainly forced me to do some things better and to think more, etc. I'm sure I'm ignorant to a lot still, but hey, progress is progress.

(And just to note: That 7 dot design on the tree dude's doo is a nod toward a brand logo of ENDESGA's (a.k.a. Seth). Seth is one of the people inspiring me to go further in pixel art, hence the random but not-so-random usage of the design.)

Perseus

Not Medusa
Forum Staff
I've updated the first post with information on how to claim a temporary GMS2 Desktop license for yourself! You can get an useable one right now and enjoy the full functionality (and export modules for Windows, Mac and Ubuntu) of GMS2 until November 30. Yes, you heard it right... these licenses will remain valid for a much longer duration than the Jam's timescale of 72 hours so that you can get used to GMS2 if you've never used it before and check out everything it's got to offer. Have fun!

Temporary GMS2 Desktop Licenses

Claim your free temporary license now!
YoYo Games have kindly offered temporary Desktop licenses for GMS2 to everyone who's interested in creating a game for the GMC Jam. These licenses can be claimed and attached to your YoYo Accounts right now, and will expire on November 30. You'll be granted full functionality of the software via these licenses and will be able to export to Windows, Mac and Ubuntu. Create your Jam entry using GMS2, taking benefit of this golden opportunity, and see for yourself if you may want to purchase this wonderful iteration of GameMaker down the road. You'll get a discount of 10% if you wish to purchase a permanent Desktop license once the temporary one expires. Have fun!

I'm looking for someone to do art with my team for the game jam. @Barvix is going to do music for us, and I will be programming. I have around 25 hours set aside to work on it, so this jam is going to be my best one yet! If theme allows, we'll do a sci-fi space-ship game with lots of lasers, so if you're good at drawing space-ships, that's even better.

If anybody is interested, please PM me. Good luck to everybody, and have fun!

Perseus

Not Medusa
Forum Staff
Last letter reveal before the theme is announced in its entirety!

- O - - - R G E - - -
Also, the Jam commences in around 2 days and 8 hours from now, but we have only four community prizes being offered as of writing. Please send me a message if you would like to give away a prize, no matter how big or small it is as long as nothing monetary is offered, so that we can encourage even more people to enter this time around. They don't have to necessarily go to the top 3 placing games; you can award them to any random places of your choice. Thank you!

Schwee

Does anybody know, or is anyone willing to say, if there would be a space displayed if the theme was two words?

N

NightOwl35

Been a long while since I've made anything using Game Maker, I think the last time being around GMC Jam 1 (theme was "Everybody is Dead") on this forum. Anyways, I've been sort of having that itch to make stuff again lately and while looking around at stuff, I stumbled here to find another jam about to start. I figured it would be a good way to get back into things. I've been spending the past day or so just sort of messing around and trying to reacquaint myself with Game Maker. Anyways, I am excited to try and do another jam. I have always found them fun to enter even if I generally do pretty terrible. Hoping this time to make something that's better than what I've made previously!

As for the theme, I have no idea what it could be, but that's part of the fun!

M

Misty

I'm fairly sure, the theme is POLTERGEIST.

Uh nevermind, I guess other people beat me to it lol.

N

nlolotte

I'm going to take a guess the theme is convergence as this means coming together or where two paths intersect. I'll try my best to take part as my girlfriend is working all weekend lol.

U

UnknownDevil666

Yeah, that's why I don't like the theme Poltergeist, we'll get a lot of similar games this way :/]
I'm curious, what kind of games do you think people will make that would make them similar? Although, I agree that "convergence" would lead to more varied and interesting submissions.

Well, every game with Poltergeist is gonna have a ghost of some kind in it.

Convergence? Who knows. I think Covergence is a lot harder actually, but in a way that may make it a better theme.

Although, our idea for Poltergeist is top notch. It does involve a ghost though.

U

UnknownDevil666

Well, every game with Poltergeist is gonna have a ghost of some kind in it.

Convergence? Who knows. I think Covergence is a lot harder actually, but in a way that may make it a better theme.

Although, our idea for Poltergeist is top notch. It does involve a ghost though.
I pretty much agree, although I do think the concept of poltergeist could be used fairly abstractly. And cool, I'd like to check out your take on it, if it turns out to be the theme (although I'm curious to see everybody's games haha).

Status
Not open for further replies.