• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

GameMaker Maximum size for a room?

J

Juxtor

Just a quick question about room sizes.

What's the largest size a room can be? For example if I want to have a 1,920x1,080 view of my room and be able to travel 10 screens in any direction, can I make a room 19,200x10,800? If not, what is the largest size room you can get away with?

Any wisdom about this is appreciated. Else I'll just experiment (I tried making a room 19,200x10,800 and got errors).

Thanks all

RangerX

A room is just an arbitrary number the engine sets into some variable. It can pretty much be any size.
What will make GMS sweat at some point is how much stuff you try to process at the same time per step. That's where your future bottleneck is. The room size means nothing in itself.

TheouAegis

Room size doesn't matter. The number of instances in the room are what matter. Well, at least in some versions. Also you can (or you could have) have stuff outside the limits of the room.

TheouAegis

Win32 function failed: HRESULT: 0x80070057
Call: GR_D3D_Device->CreateTexture2D at line 552 in file \ TexturesM.cpp

Was that the error (among numerous others) that you got?

J

Juxtor

Win32 function failed: HRESULT: 0x80070057
Call: GR_D3D_Device->CreateTexture2D at line 552 in file \ TexturesM.cpp

Was that the error (among numerous others) that you got?
Yes that was the error (or very similar to that, among several others)

And it occurs regardless of having any instances in the room. It appears to be directly associated with room size.

TheouAegis

Yeah. 16000x16000 worked, but not 18000x18000. In GMS2 it appears it tries to render the whole room. Did you add a camera yet? I didn't test if that alleviated the problem.

J

Juxtor

No I haven't attempted to create any views. I am just in a very early stage and want to know how big I can make the room, so I can know how to proceed with my planning. In older Game Maker software, I think I made a room 8x8 screens successfully... was hoping GMS2 would be able to go beyond that constraint...

It would also be great if they had a way to seamlessly wrap a room (such that the bottom and top edges of the screen are virtually connected and you never actually "see" the perimeter).

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
I know this is super old, but I was messing with this and have new findings for v2022.6.023

Yeah. 16000x16000 worked, but not 18000x18000. In GMS2 it appears it tries to render the whole room. Did you add a camera yet? I didn't test if that alleviated the problem.
Adding a camera with a set view size, allows the room to be larger then the 16384 limit
Attempting to create a texture size of number x number in SetupD3DTexture, this is bigger than the maximum allowable dimension (16384)
However
seems to be the highest number you can put into the width and height boxes
probably for this reason https://stackoverflow.com/questions...t-variable-stop-incrementing-at-16777216-in-c

this makes GM run incredibly slow in the room editor if you have a background visible

Placing a player at 16776676 (16777216 - 540)
then moving the player in the direction to increase the Y

the room continues past this hard point
However
We start noticing floating point precision errors
when moving the camera and player, stuff starts to get jittery

I havent tested farther
but i can only assume its kind of like minecraft's farlands issues
where at a set point the jitter gets worse
then at a point the engine fails to draw the room and we get glitches all over the place

However
16,777,216 is just one direction
-16777216 should also work the same

doing math you get 2.8147498e+14 of game area
Which should be more then enough for any basic game