• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

OFFICIAL Welcome to the new Forums!

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mauldini

Can someone confirm for me - has my old forum account been wiped (deleted)? I had some contacts and posts I'd like to re-visit it possible. I was BrianHorror.

Thanks!

G

Greenhawk

I believe we have just uncovered true origin story for the Joker. He was a catch the clown that got caught.
Question 4: Clown??
Question 5: Can anyone find threatuna? If so, please inhale...

G

GhostGK

Sad that things from old forum won't be incorporated into this, but i'm loving how the new forum looks! :D

P

ParodyKnaveBob

Welcome back. $:^ J

Thank you (all @ YYG) for striving to make this corner of the Internet a safe place -- and thank you, concerning the delay in the return, for your working on monetary charms to soothe the savage breasts. $:^ b I'd like to ask a point of clarity, though (which I don't think got covered in this thread), especially since I'm letting another not-signed-up-yet member know about this (who's considering getting GM:S while on sale as it is).
As part of an apology for this disruption, which we know has affected the workflow of many, we're offering a coupon code for an additional 10% off any of our products on offer. This discount will work in conjunction with other discounts from our currently ongoing sale. Simply enter "GMC10" at checkout. This offer will be valid for one week starting today and will expire at midnight (GMT) on the 27th of June.
Does that mean as soon as 27 June 2016 is finished, the 10% coupon ends, or as soon as 26 June 2016 is finished (and 27 June 2016 begins), the 10% coupon ends?

Khyze

Wow i wanted to be the first one to sign up u.u

It looks great, it looks "smaller" but better, the first issue that i found is on the upper right corner where it says "New Posts" on long names you see the three dots (...) but it would be nice when you hover your mouse over it it said the full title :D

Anyway, thanks for bringing the forum back ^w^ helping time!

T

TheUltimate

Hello everybody, nice to see all of you again! The new forum looks nice.

T

tserek

It's a bit frustating whenever i click a topic on the main page which takes me to the last post in a topic. I would like it go to the first post instead. It's important when clicking a topic which is categorized as programming, i would like to see first the question instead going to the last reply.

Last edited by a moderator:
L

Losha

Huh, looks like my timing couldn't have been much better to show my face, it's surely been over a year since last time I was on the old forums, and now I pop in right after a revamp. Neat. See some familiar names and avatars around, too.

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
I'm glad to finally see the forum back up. I helped a couple people over on gamedev.net that wanted to post here but couldn't(due to obvious reasons), but the dedicated forum to GMStudio is much better than a generic gamedev forum in my opinion.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
It's a bit frustating whenever i click a topic on the main page which takes me to the last post in a topic. I would like it go to the first post instead. It's important when clicking a topic which is categorized as programming, i would like to see first the question instead going to the last reply.
This is pretty standard forum behaviour... I'm pretty sure the old GMC used to do this too. So, no I don't think this will change... However, you CAN preview a topic simply by hovering over the topic title (which is a lovely feature of this new forum)...

R

roytheshort

This is pretty standard forum behaviour... I'm pretty sure the old GMC used to do this too. So, no I don't think this will change... However, you CAN preview a topic simply by hovering over the topic title (which is a lovely feature of this new forum)...
You can also click on someone's username and get a preview of their profile. This forum probably has features in the software the admins don't know about. Didn't someone find out something about dragging images in or something?

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
You can also click on someone's username and get a preview of their profile. This forum probably has features in the software the admins don't know about. Didn't someone find out something about dragging images in or something?
Yes, you can drag images into a post and they will be uploaded and hosted on the forum as attachments (and I knew about this feature already, since I enabled it... :p )

Zerb Games

It's awesome to see the forums up and running again. I was about to die from them being down, I've been drowning in problems that I am JUST BURNING to ask the community about. Also, gotta share ma game.

B

bdmarvel

I'd pretty much given up on the forums ever being replaced... Glad they're finally here, but it seems that there's a lot of rebuilding to do. Nice to see you all again. :)

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
... but it seems that there's a lot of rebuilding to do.
Good to see you back on the new forums! This comment got my attention... not sure what you mean? We've all been working hard to make sure the forum is ready for launch and now that it has, we're pretty happy with it. We've had to tweak certain features, but this is pretty much a finished forum, not a WIP... so I'm interested in what you think needs rebuilt? We have a topic for forum issues in the Community Chat if you want to add stuff to it. :)

F

Fodderbot

So, Happy this is back up and running. :)

Perhaps bdmarvel is talking about rebuilding the community rather then the forums themselves. There must have been a number of people that assumed that GM was down for the count and sinking, so walked away. It was beginning to feel like the Marketeering two-step there for a while.

Xer0botXer0

Senpai
When did it get back! when! Why was I not notified..
I've been using the reddit all this time. :p Someone should sticky that the forum is live on the gamemaker reddit.

Glad it's back, hello peoples!

Also, the place looks great.

B

bdmarvel

Good to see you back on the new forums! This comment got my attention... not sure what you mean? We've all been working hard to make sure the forum is ready for launch and now that it has, we're pretty happy with it. We've had to tweak certain features, but this is pretty much a finished forum, not a WIP... so I'm interested in what you think needs rebuilt? We have a topic for forum issues in the Community Chat if you want to add stuff to it. :)
The new forums look great! But the old ones were shut down so swiftly and we had so little info about the new ones (including when to expect them)! I still don't understand why the old ones needed to be closed so long before the replacement was ready, but I'm sure that decision was made for a reason. When I said "there's a lot of rebuilding to do" I was referring entirely to rebuilding the community (Fodderbot was right about that) so that the new GMC can be as active and useful as the old. :) Right now we're still sort of in a transition where a lot of the useful information is still on the old forums which are archived. It will take some time for the new to completely replace the old.

D

DocNogloff

So the forum's back, and I'm back, just a little late to the post-launch party :D. Somehow I still miss the old minimal aesthetic of the old forums though. This style is fine but it looks a little bland and industrial compared to what we had before, but I guess it's not a big deal.
The only thing I really miss about the old forum was that in-your-face reputation score system, where upvotes and downvotes represent way more thoughts and feelings than just "Like". I really think that the concept of Likes introduced by Facebook just completely ruined the point of approval and disapproval online; because unlike a rep number which is merely a statistical representation of overall consensus and opinion about a post and nothing more (leaving the readers to assess the quality of the rated post themselves), the Like button actually has the word Like in it and displays people who Liked it, but sometimes fails to fully convey the sense of "Liking" something. Just a thought :p
Anyway, glad to be back.

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
Well, I signed up for the new forums. I've actually been messing around making a project in Unity. Frankly, despite all the power Unity brings, and the nice graphics capability, etc... it still takes way too long to get some of the simpler things done. I pretty much just abandoned the project, and intend on starting something here with GMS. I'm undecided if I should re-port what I was working on, or just start something new. Anyway, that's my decision. But, you can expect to see me around now. Some of you will remember me, and some won't. Obviously that depends on if you had seen me or not before.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
I remember your username, but I actually mostly recognize people by their avatars... so consider that an achievement, sticking in my really bad memory of names. :p
I'm also with you about Unity and powerful tools in general... unless you NEED to use their ultimate power, it's hard to use them effectively. I dabble a bit in GIMP, and the only reason I get things done at all is because I've memorized hotkeys for a bunch of the tools (Ctrl-B for bucket, O for color picker (mnemonic "original color"), N for Normal Pen), but I still find the font selector atrocious and the color selector annoying at best (it's a lot harder to make color ramps in it compared to GMS' sprite editor's color selector). And let's not even talk about my experiences in Blender and MATLAB2010...

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
I remember your username, but I actually mostly recognize people by their avatars... so consider that an achievement, sticking in my really bad memory of names. :p
I'm also with you about Unity and powerful tools in general... unless you NEED to use their ultimate power, it's hard to use them effectively. I dabble a bit in GIMP, and the only reason I get things done at all is because I've memorized hotkeys for a bunch of the tools (Ctrl-B for bucket, O for color picker (mnemonic "original color"), N for Normal Pen), but I still find the font selector atrocious and the color selector annoying at best (it's a lot harder to make color ramps in it compared to GMS' sprite editor's color selector). And let's not even talk about my experiences in Blender and MATLAB2010...
I think my name is quite memorable, mainly for the fact that it is simple and non-original, just being the whole first initial, then last name thing. Most people don't do that for forums, so that in and of itself is non-typical.

Now, I don't know GIMP or Matlab, but let me tell you Blender is great! It does have that learning curve though, and you need the shortcut keys to get anything done.

csanyk

I've noticed that if I'm on the marketplace.yoyogames.com site, and use the top navigational links, there's still a link to the old GMC forums, under Community, and no link to the current forums.yoyogames.com site.

Attachments

G

Guest User 1

I think the wait was worth it. Look at how awesome the forums are now! Excellent work YoYoGames!

A

Aura

Because that section keeps track of latest posts (not latest topics). Since the latest post of a topic is its last post, it's Xenforo's standard behaviour to scroll down to the bottom.

The old GMC handled that in a different way. It kept track of latest topics, that is, the topics that were created most recently. It didn't scroll to the last post but remain at the first post or the OP.

T

TBK_Jo$hu@

Lol sorry for joining 2 months late but i couldn't find any hints on the yoyogames website (idk about their twitter) about this being done ,maybe because i quit relying on the old gmc to tell me but hello new GMC xD. i like the new look of the forums although their are quite alot of crucial things i miss. I'm not going to name them all due to me already seeing in the forums why they won't be added in due to the new website.[ like counter, dislikes, viewers on the topic,etc ] :(

Last edited by a moderator:
K

Kahvana

Oh wow, I'm late for the party? But then again, kind of thrown away gml to the side for a while now.
You where not the only one, spending my time writing my own framework om opengl. Still figuring out if I could get tile based deferred rendering to work in game maker... X3.

I'm also with you about Unity and powerful tools in general... unless you NEED to use their ultimate power, it's hard to use them effectively.
Thats why I love writing my own frameworks, as I can pick any library I like and write / maintain the framework as how I want to. Not only is unity hard to handle, its build sizes are much larger than needed. For example, a simple 3d room with a cube takes up 23 mb in game maker 8. However, unity requires 156 mb, and compiles much unneeded nonsense with it. With some more custom written shaders and a better user interface for 3D, game maker would actually get to be as great as unity 4 in my opinion xP.

Oh, and back to topic: Yay!, good that the forum is back online again! X3

[edit: merged my previous post with this one due double posting]
[edit2: thanks mod for removing the double post! n.n]

Last edited:

chaz13

It was kinda funny coming back to the GMC after a long time to find all the old posts gone, too bad! New forums are nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.